Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I want to buy a v-bar mount, but I'm not sure on how to select it. Here is some of my info to receive some advices, probably all this info is not important, but I'm leaving it here just in case:

RH
Best Mercury Riser I - 25"
High wrist wood grip
#30 Medium limbs at 27'' draw lenght, with tiller modified to #34 at 27"
28" quadraflex front-rod
5in extender
8" (around 10" with weights) quadraflex side bars
Carbox Express Medallion arrows with 100gr points and
SF elite plunger (i think)
SF Elite + Sight
Top limb cartel damper
W&W 360 tab
Hoyt rest - soon I'll change it for shibuya (both do the job, the shibuya one looks better)

Basically I want to buy a good one that last some good time, but maybe will be good if it's not too heavy: I'm a girl and I have a sternoclavicular dislocation in the left side (bow hand), so I'm trying to keep it with a low weight (within the possibilities), and if at any point I want to increase it (when I get the stenght to do it, I'll add the riser weigths).

I'm not sure if is better to buy one with a defined angle, a straight one or to have the possibility to adjust it, but definitelly don't want to expend 100 bucks in a doinker platinum.

I have been practicing for a year, only two times per week (2-3hs each practice), because the pain is kinda unconfortable when I practice 4-5 days per week. So I'm a newbie.

Also I'm not sure if I'll need quick disconnects and what else do I need to buy to have a complete stabilization system.

Thanks in advance!

Adriana

·
Registered
637 Posts
I like one with a defined angle, because there's nothing that can wiggle loose. If you know people that have various ones with different angles that you can try out, that'd be my recommendation.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where I practice is kinda difficult to borrow one, not sure why they are so jealous with their equipment and you cannot even touch their bows, I know is something personal for each one, but trying different ones is not an option here. Same happened with riser when I wanted to decide which one to buy :(

·
12 stepper for gear...
4,185 Posts
If you are getting one with a quick disconnect then I like the integrated ones. With your concerns for weight with respect to your sternoclavicular dislocation, adding a quick disconnect to the vbar will add weight, while not much, it may be noticeable. Lately I have been liking the idea of a vbar without the disconnects simply for the reason there is more thread holding the rod in. With a qd, one turn and your stab can slip out. I have had it happen where, when placing it in the stand, the long rod has slipped off. Never while shooting, but you need to make sure it is tight. You still want a tight connection when not using a qd, but it takes a lot more turns to come completely out.

The shibuya caruno vbar, is expensive for what it is, but it is very light. I ended up getting one on here and like it a lot, but will not be buying another at full price, I will wait for one on sale.

My old favorite was the shibuya ultima (integrated qd), but they are getting hard to find. A very nice piece of gear, but again, with qd's you need to be sure it is tight.

Lots of great options out there. The time saving for a qd is not that much, a better argument could be made that it saves the thread, to a degree, on your stab, but I don't know how long you would need to use it for that to be an issue.

Not a lot of help, just some rambling thoughts.

Cheers

·
Is that a cookie?
4,983 Posts
If you are getting one with a quick disconnect then I like the integrated ones. With your concerns for weight with respect to your sternoclavicular dislocation, adding a quick disconnect to the vbar will add weight, while not much, it may be noticeable. Lately I have been liking the idea of a vbar without the disconnects simply for the reason there is more thread holding the rod in. With a qd, one turn and your stab can slip out. I have had it happen where, when placing it in the stand, the long rod has slipped off. Never while shooting, but you need to make sure it is tight. You still want a tight connection when not using a qd, but it takes a lot more turns to come completely out.

The shibuya caruno vbar, is expensive for what it is, but it is very light. I ended up getting one on here and like it a lot, but will not be buying another at full price, I will wait for one on sale.

My old favorite was the shibuya ultima (integrated qd), but they are getting hard to find. A very nice piece of gear, but again, with qd's you need to be sure it is tight.

Lots of great options out there. The time saving for a qd is not that much, a better argument could be made that it saves the thread, to a degree, on your stab, but I don't know how long you would need to use it for that to be an issue.

Not a lot of help, just some rambling thoughts.

Cheers
Earlier PSE risers did not have a steel bushing for the long rod. I bought an extra v-bar bolt and just left it in the riser to protect the riser threads, then attached the v-bar extension to it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I bought this one for about $30. I wanted the QD's and light weight (<3 oz)... took a shot on it and it has been great. Well made and everything seems to lock down nicely.

Orange

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Basically I want to buy a good one that last some good time, but maybe will be good if it's not too heavy: I'm a girl and I have a sternoclavicular dislocation in the left side (bow hand), so I'm trying to keep it with a low weight (within the possibilities), and if at any point I want to increase it (when I get the stenght to do it, I'll add the riser weigths).

Adriana
Would you like me to customise a recurve set for you? Do you have a coach who can teach you good technique?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a coach, but I prefer the advices regarding equipment from people at the forum, because here they are used to the basic ones, or to have only one option, because of the money. Anyway I'm still looking for a good option now that I cannot try several angles with borrowed vbars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Since you do not have the luxury of trying different sets (trust me far from all of us have that luxury) I would suggest that you either get a cheap adjustable one you can try out, and then get a fixed one.

Or you can try these guys, http://gripperarchery.com/ they seem to make a quality product at a fair price, not at all sure what the shipping etc to the US would be but the price for the unit is about 75 USD, and I don't think you will ever need to buy another V-Bar again.

Try sending them an email and explain you'r situation and perhaps they will let you borrow one. I don't know their product put the people behind it are 2 great guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts