Archery Talk Forum banner

V3 31 or Traverse

3528 Views 33 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  356Brutus
Hi everyone I’m in the market for a new bow. Currently I’m shooting a left hand 2007 Hoyt Katera 32” ATA at 29” draw (which is about 2” too short for me) and 28” arrow at 417 grain. My question is would you get the V3 31 or try to find a Traverse? (Only interested in Mathews) I’m sure either of the technologies would be light years ahead of what I’m shooting now. Thank you for any feedback.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
423 Posts
I had a really similair experence to you between VXR 31 and Traverse. Went to a different bow shop the tech was horrified at short my DL looked. I was bumped up from 29.5" to 31". I thought I was going to buy the VXR and went home with Traverse. Key things for me were: string angle - couldn't get string on my nose with VXR and a smoother draw cycle with Traverse. Other than that bows were very similiar. With longer draw I would def choose the traverse

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a really similair experence to you between VXR 31 and Traverse. Went to a different bow shop the tech was horrified at short my DL looked. I was bumped up from 29.5" to 31". I thought I was going to buy the VXR and went home with Traverse. Key things for me were: string angle - couldn't get string on my nose with VXR and a smoother draw cycle with Traverse. Other than that bows were very similiar. With longer draw I would def choose the traverse
Awesome appreciate you feedback.

· Registered
6,224 Posts
I'm not a Mathews guy BUT when I shot the Traverse vs the VXR I was almost converted. The Traverse was the most under appreciated bow in the Mathews line up. If I was looking for a new bow the Traverse would still be on my short list. I have no experience with the V3.

· Registered
Mathews traverse, v3 31, Hoyt Invicta 37
400 Posts
Traverse might very Well be the Best hunting bow mathews has Ever produce. There is no negative In it. Some say weight but they need To man Up. Switch weight In vxr some don't like. Stacks Up towards end of draw, especially with long draw lenght. May not be an issue for everybody. Thumps To traverse from me 👍👍

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not a Mathews guy BUT when I shot the Traverse vs the VXR I was almost converted. The Traverse was the most under appreciated bow in the Mathews line up. If I was looking for a new bow the Traverse would still be on my short list. I have no experience with the V3.
Yeah that’s what I keep reading about the Traverse.

· Registered
Rx-3 Ultra BE X-impacts, Black Gold Custom Pro, Hybrid Hunter Pro
305 Posts
I currently own a traverse that is up for sale. I have a VXR 31.5 on the way now and have shot the V3. The V3 for me is no better than the VXR. But the VXR to me is better than the traverse, and I love my traverse. The draw on the VXR is stiffer but still very smooth. The main reasons I’m trading in my traverse is the speed gains by shooting 75#, and the smaller ATA is most tree saddle friendly. Both are excellent bows that will serve you well in whatever you do.

· Registered
238 Posts
Shot Bowtech for years. Bought a Traverse this Sept. I can't reccomend it enough. I've never shot any bow better. It stacks arrows too well (lost a few expensive arrows to robin hoods). If your draw is a little on the long side....you won't do better than the Traverse imo.

· Registered
11,404 Posts
Owned both the VXR and Traverse, the V3 felt better in every way to me.
To me it draws nicer, feels lighter, balances better and believe it or not both deader and quieter.
Shop took 3 deposits on V3 in the 40 minutes I was there today.
If it were me I would just put up the extra cash for the V3.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like you I was shooting a pretty old bow. I picked up a Traverse here in the classifieds last spring for $650 - mint. Best shooting compound I ever fired. I recommend the Traverse.
Awesome, I keep leaning towards the Traverse the more I think about it

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Traverse might very Well be the Best hunting bow mathews has Ever produce. There is no negative In it. Some say weight but they need To man Up. Switch weight In vxr some don't like. Stacks Up towards end of draw, especially with long draw lenght. May not be an issue for everybody. Thumps To traverse from me 👍👍
Yeah prefer a heavier bow anyway.

· Registered
33 Posts
I shot the heck out of the VXR 31.5 and the V3 31 a couple days ago. In my opinion, the draw cycle was almost exactly the same and the vibration in the V3 was just ever so slightly better, going from a 9.75 to a 10 on a ten point scale. To me, hardly any difference between them at 70 pounds and 29.5 inch draw. Just my opinion. I am in the market for a new or slightly used VXR 31.5 now. Both draw cycles had a hard, smooth draw load until the end of the draw with a very small valley and a nice solid back wall.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shot Bowtech for years. Bought a Traverse this Sept. I can't reccomend it enough. I've never shot any bow better. It stacks arrows too well (lost a few expensive arrows to robin hoods). If your draw is a little on the long side....you won't do better than the Traverse imo.
I getting the feeling I need to get the Traverse

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.