Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bow is giving me fits with nock low tears and broadheads high.

Timing is spot on. Checked and re checked.

Arrow setup running dead center through Berger hole and arrow is perpendicular to the string

27” draw pulling 60.8lbs.

In order to get a bare shaft bullet hole, I’ve had to max out the rest on its upwards vertical limit, and cut my arrow 2” shorter.

Arrows are Nexxus Infinity 350. Total arrow weight 497gr. Nockturnal, 3 AAE Max Hunter Vanes, 75gr titanium outsert and 125gr tip. FOC is at 16.35%

Looks like they spine out about right.

Doesn’t make sense that I’ve had to cut 2” of length off the arrows and max out up vertical travel of the rest to get a bare shaft bullet hole.

Here’s the last session through paper

But this is also with the rest maxed out all the way up.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put the test back to near zero, and here is an Easton HEXX 400 at 335gr

Maybe the Nexxus Infinity 350 arrows just don’t work for this bow. The various software programs have them as optimum spine.

But … the super stiff FMJ and the much weaker HEXX each fly better.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Check cam axle tightness. The screws must be just barely snug, not tightened or the bearings get pinched that adds resistance to cam. There's some gunk in the screws but if you take them out often, replace with thread locker so you don't lose one.

Your arrow seems fine by the app, this shouldn't be a spine issue. How good is the fit on the nockturnal? Some of those have given me lot of trouble. Doesn't match the symptoms really but try turning the nocks and see if the tear changes.

How I've done vertical adjustment on V3 and have had great success:

Return the rest to berger hole. Remove nock sets and make only a d-loop on string, roughly in the middle of it. Adjust vertical by screwing the d-loop around the string and it threads on the serving. Vertical adjustment is far more sensitive to nock point than rest, let's see where that nocking point ends up.

When you have the vertical tuned, you can pull one side of the d-loop aside, tie a nocking point leaving a little gap. Repeat on the other side.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I put the test back to near zero, and here is an Easton HEXX 400 at 335gr

Maybe the Nexxus Infinity 350 arrows just don’t work for this bow. The various software programs have them as optimum spine.

But … the super stiff FMJ and the much weaker HEXX each fly better.
Maybe the nockturnals are a fault afterall. How bad is the Nexxus without touching any adjustment?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe the nockturnals are a fault afterall. How bad is the Nexxus without touching any adjustment?
I was able to tinker a little bit this morning, before leaving for work. Here is the 26 inch bare shaft Nexxus with and without nockturnals, And fairly normal rest settings. Remarkable difference, I think.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was able to tinker a little bit this morning, before leaving for work. Here is the 26 inch bare shaft Nexxus with and without nockturnals, And fairly normal rest settings. Remarkable difference, I think.
Looks a lot like what I've experienced. If you take 3 shafts with nockturnals, are the tears all in same direction? If you rotate the nock in the shaft, does the direction of the tear change?

I've yet to try taking just half a dozen new shafts with identical nockturnals on all of them and bare shaft nock tune them. I wanted to do that with 4mm Axis but the shaft inner diameters were inconsistent, some the nock was slightly loose and others it wouldn't stay in at all, bought another pack of Nocturnal G-nocks and Alternativess sent me some age old batch with different external shape and those were extremely tight fit.

Fed up with the componentry I ordered BE Rampages to continue with. I'm contemplating if I should buy more Nockturnals or try something else instead. Soon I'm at point where firenocks would've been cheaper despite the initial cost.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It has been talked about here a few times, but there was an interview with one of the Mathews engineers who says that the V3's prefer a weaker spine than you would think.

If your paper tear is different with the nocturnals either your nock fit is too tight either on the string or between the d loop knots, or that extra 15-20 grains on the back end of the arrow is stiffening it up too much.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It has been talked about here a few times, but there was an interview with one of the Mathews engineers who says that the V3's prefer a weaker spine than you would think.

If your paper tear is different with the nocturnals either your nock fit is too tight either on the string or between the d loop knots, or that extra 15-20 grains on the back end of the arrow is stiffening it up too much.
The tied nocks and d-loop have been changed at least 6 or 7 times with moving the loop up and down the string. Some of the nocks fit the shafts loosely. All of the nocks seem to have a “normal” fit on the string.

Yeah, I did see that video with the Mathews engineer saying this bow likes a weaker spine.

I feel like a 28” arrow with 200gr up front on a 60lb bow should be perfect. The above screen shot of qSpine is with the bow at 58lbs. Here is this setup at 60.8 lbs, which is where the bow is currently set:

I think this mornings paper holes told me a lot about the Nockturnals.

I leave for Ohio tomorrow morning after work, and so it’ll be Tuesday before I can tinker with this again.

Thinking about how the Nockturnals fit on the string and how they’re activated, I now realize how it is that they can affect arrow flight.

When I was trying to tune the FMJ T-64’s in this bow I had low nock tears too, but wrenched the rest until I achieved what I wanted to, and didn’t pay much attention to how high or low the rest was. I switched out rests yesterday, because I wanted to try something different with this setup, and that’s what got me to really looking at why the rest required such extreme settings.

·
Registered
Mathews V3 31/Axcel Rheotech HD/QAD integrate rest/10" Flatline Stabilizer/Hot shot accu-peep
528 Posts
FWIW, I shoot my V3 31 with 27.5” FMJ 5mm and 100gr tips, 460 total gr 340 spine. I’m shooting 70lb mods maxed pulling just over 71lb.
Rest is centered and nock is straight off rest.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention: I tried swapping mods and installed the 65lb mods on this bow and it made zero difference in the paper tears. Those mods maxed out the bow at 66.7lbs. So a 6lb difference made zero difference on paper tear. I should have probably realized at that point, this was likely not a spine issue.

·
Registered
Mathews V3 31/Axcel Rheotech HD/QAD integrate rest/10" Flatline Stabilizer/Hot shot accu-peep
528 Posts
I say reset your nock point to center and arrow rest as well. Don’t try your super heavy arrow and shoot a 300-340 spine with 100gr out front. Make sure form is good, shoot fletched at 5 yards. How’s it look? Make sure release is perfect. Adjust from there. Get that bullet hole. Then shoot fletched and bare together not through paper. Adjust accordingly. Then shoot fletched and broadhead. Are you close?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I say reset your nock point to center and arrow rest as well. Don’t try your super heavy arrow and shoot a 300-340 spine with 100gr out front. Make sure form is good, shoot fletched at 5 yards. How’s it look? Make sure release is perfect. Adjust from there. Get that bullet hole. Then shoot fletched and bare together not through paper. Adjust accordingly. Then shoot fletched and broadhead. Are you close?
I've already done all of that. These tears are at 4 yards.

Judging this mornings paper tears, the Nockturnals seem to be the consistent factor. With the Easton FMJ T-64's, I had nock low tears when trying to set them up. I gave up on them. Shooting them again last night, but with g-nocks in them, they shot nock high left, with the rest a few turns down. That should have been an indicator to me that the nocks are the issue. The light weight Hexx 400's tear perfectly through paper. The Nexxus bare shaft with Nockturnal is low tear. Without, it's very close and is a smidge low right. the rest is closer to the riser than 13/64", so moving it back to zero should correct the right tear. And one small vertical adjustment should remedy the low tear.

So now the question is, what is it about the Nockturnals that cause such an obnoxious tear?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts