Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Check cam axle tightness. The screws must be just barely snug, not tightened or the bearings get pinched that adds resistance to cam. There's some gunk in the screws but if you take them out often, replace with thread locker so you don't lose one.

Your arrow seems fine by the app, this shouldn't be a spine issue. How good is the fit on the nockturnal? Some of those have given me lot of trouble. Doesn't match the symptoms really but try turning the nocks and see if the tear changes.

How I've done vertical adjustment on V3 and have had great success:

Return the rest to berger hole. Remove nock sets and make only a d-loop on string, roughly in the middle of it. Adjust vertical by screwing the d-loop around the string and it threads on the serving. Vertical adjustment is far more sensitive to nock point than rest, let's see where that nocking point ends up.

When you have the vertical tuned, you can pull one side of the d-loop aside, tie a nocking point leaving a little gap. Repeat on the other side.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I put the test back to near zero, and here is an Easton HEXX 400 at 335gr

Maybe the Nexxus Infinity 350 arrows just don’t work for this bow. The various software programs have them as optimum spine.

But … the super stiff FMJ and the much weaker HEXX each fly better.
Maybe the nockturnals are a fault afterall. How bad is the Nexxus without touching any adjustment?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I was able to tinker a little bit this morning, before leaving for work. Here is the 26 inch bare shaft Nexxus with and without nockturnals, And fairly normal rest settings. Remarkable difference, I think.
Looks a lot like what I've experienced. If you take 3 shafts with nockturnals, are the tears all in same direction? If you rotate the nock in the shaft, does the direction of the tear change?

I've yet to try taking just half a dozen new shafts with identical nockturnals on all of them and bare shaft nock tune them. I wanted to do that with 4mm Axis but the shaft inner diameters were inconsistent, some the nock was slightly loose and others it wouldn't stay in at all, bought another pack of Nocturnal G-nocks and Alternativess sent me some age old batch with different external shape and those were extremely tight fit.

Fed up with the componentry I ordered BE Rampages to continue with. I'm contemplating if I should buy more Nockturnals or try something else instead. Soon I'm at point where firenocks would've been cheaper despite the initial cost.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It has been talked about here a few times, but there was an interview with one of the Mathews engineers who says that the V3's prefer a weaker spine than you would think.

If your paper tear is different with the nocturnals either your nock fit is too tight either on the string or between the d loop knots, or that extra 15-20 grains on the back end of the arrow is stiffening it up too much.
Heard the same, never confirmed anywhere. More often I think it's because spine tables/calculators are unclear about how arrow length is measured. If there's 1.5" of steel glued inside shaft that section isn't bending in context of stability that question dynamic spine really is.
FWIW, it is my understanding and experience with paper tuning that it should be done at three different distances. 2 yards, 4 yards, and 6 yards.
2 yards tells you center shot and timing issues.
4 yards tells you arrow spine, tip weight, and FOC issues.
6 yards tells you arrow drag issues.

Here's a tip page on the Prime website, that Dave Cousins did. https://www.g5prime.com/expert-tips-paper-tuning-bow/
Not sure if 6yd over 4yd tells anything about fletching if you shoot bare shafts.. Also repeat of spine vs left right tear on compound with mechanical release. There is no connection. So really just go to 6-8yd with paper or find the worst possible distance and work from there. Then move to BS or BH tuning.

My current reasonably well working setup has 300 spine 28.5” Carnivore, 60gr insert, 150gr point and 21gr of vanes at 65-66#. These shoot good with stock nocks but with nockturnals the broadheads fly to random directions
Current experiment is 4mm Axis 300 at 27.5” 125+125gr point. I’ve found two Nockturnal G-nocks out of 6 that launch the arrow straight, one broken and three send any arrow sideways. Next step is I’ll screw the limbs 1/2 turn each direction and see if I can get the tear smaller.

I have nasty suspicion that high letoff and low brace height play a part in how unnecessarily hard it is to have V3 shoot perfectly.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you are referring to confirming the V3 liking a weak spine, here is the video. They talking about spine at the 11:48 mark.

But the spine you are shooting with insert weight, spine, and tip weight should be good. It sounds like the nock fit between the d loop knots is too tight for the nockturnals. I shoot nockturnals out of my V3 with no change in point of impact from my stock nocks.

I guess the draw force curve that stacks up late in the cycle could cause that. Would be interesting to see some 10k fps hi res video of the launch.

So far tightest nock has been Beiter H pin nock but it has the relief cuts for nock sets. Geniuses at Feradyne apparently changed the thickness of the nock between two serieses of nockturnals. Also for some reason Easton 4mm pins are too loose in Easton 4mm shafts (Like 7 out of 12) which makes perfect sense so I'd need to glue the pins to use them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts