Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I shoot the 300 spine. I never thought they were stiff. But all I have ever shot.
What shaft length? I’m a 27” draw.

I went with the 350’s because they show they spine out right for my setup on both qSpine and AA.

Either way, I eagerly await the 300’s and hope that’s the cure.

Semper Fi,
Mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
For what its worth ive also noticed that different release aids change my tune as far as vertical tear goes because of how much pressure is distributed between the top and bottom cam … with a tru ball hbc my arrow sits slightly nock high to bullet hole with an ultraview hinge my arrow sits dead level to bullet hole tear… im guessing the point of the hook being different causes me to pull more on one cam versus the other with the hbc

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So I dropped draw weight by 2 lbs and nock tuned the arrows. 3 out of the 10 that arrows that are cut to 26” nock tuned acceptably. 3 of the 10 still have 1” paper tears regardless of nock tune. I spine indexed the shafts. Some have as little as 0.002” variance, others have as much as 0.008” variance. Nock fit at the nock end of the shaft is loose on some, tighter on others. When I shortened the shafts to 26”, I cut from the nock end since the outserts were epoxied in the front. This provided a uniform nock fit for “most” of the shafts.

Nexxus has recommended a .300 spine, but at this point I’m not confident that a stiffer spine will give me what I’m looking for, and based off of what I have experienced so far it would seem that I’ll need a few dozen to find a set of shafts that will fly right.

As for “my” nock tuning technique, I go in 1/4 turns, and if that doesn’t work I keep going but in 1/8 turns. So if after 12 we’ll executed shots I have egregious tears, I mark the shafts as “garbage”.

Anything I might be missing?

Semper Fi,
Mike

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
If it helps I have a couple 300 spine I could send you. They are 29 3/4 inch. You could pull the inserts and cut to your desired length. Just an Idea that dont cost much.
Very kind of you. Nexxus has sent me a sample pack of a few 300 spine. Just waiting on them to arrive.

I tinkered more with the 400 spine today.

Here’s the results of nearly identical arrows.

Semper Fi,
Mike

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So I had some GT Airstrikes arrive today. They’re 400’s so I’m planning to use them with my Triax, but I thought I’d do some tinkering with the V3 again. These also had a nock low tear.

They’re cut at 26” and initially weighed 397gr with a 125gr tip. In tinkering, I was still nock low tear with the V3 at 58lbs. I lowered it to 56lbs and the tear improved to near perfect. I swapped out the 125gr tip for 100gr and it made bullet holes.

My approach with this bow from the beginning has been that this bow likes weaker spine arrows. This endeavor has shown me that MY V3 does not like weak spine arrows. In fact it absolutely hates them. I pulled out the Nexxus Infinity 350’s and shot them with the bow set at 56lbs and with some quick nock tuning there was a much improved tear. Not quite perfect, but much improved from what I have been experiencing with them.

Ok both software programs these arrows show “stiff” with the bow at 56lbs and the shafts cut at 26”.

When the 300 spine Nexxus arrive I expect they’ll shoot fine with the bow at 58 or 60lbs.

As for the Airstrikes, I’m glad I shot the 400’s in this bow. I’ll skip past the 340’s and go with 300’s for them too for the V3.

Semper Fi,
Mike

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Just a dumb question probably but do you square the ends of your arrow shafts?
Always. I use a Revolution arrow saw

Follow up :

So today, with the bow dropped to 56lbs I have three sets of broadhead tuned arrows. This bow likes a stiff spine

I have a set of 400 spine, 350 spine and a FMJ T64 DF 7.9, all fo which indicate “Stiff”, but all are broadhead tuned and smack shafts out to 40yds.

Having the Garmin A1i Pro made it easy to setup three completely different arrows. But with the first Seth broad head tuned, the rest was set.

Semper Fi,
Mike

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
To wrap this up, I resolved the issue. The rubber string stop was too close
To the string. At brace they were touching. I pushed it further in to the riser by ~ 1/8” and the bow is shooting cleanly now with the rest setup in a “zero” configuration.

Semper Fi,
Mike

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.