Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Mathews V3 31
16 Posts
28.5” DL, 65# mods pulling at 67# DW. I’ve been through the Zebra string frustration in the past. So I shot 100 arrows and added 2 twist to lower cable to get perfect timing then I installed peep, nose button, and D loop. String seams to be pretty well settled on at this point, time will tell.
Out of town at the moment and no pics of final product.

·
Registered
119 Posts
28.5” DL, 65# mods pulling at 67# DW. I’ve been through the Zebra string frustration in the past. So I shot 100 arrows and added 2 twist to lower cable to get perfect timing then I installed peep, nose button, and D loop. String seams to be pretty well settled on at this point, time will tell.
Nice looking build! Not to derail thread but how do you like that arrow saw? I`m in the market for one.

·
Registered
Mathews V3 31
16 Posts
Built some Black Eagle X Impacts. 300 spine 28” carbon to carbon. Stainless FOCUS with 100 grain field point, 3 fletch AAE Max right helical. 470 grain %15.8 FOC. Bare shaft tuned then nock tuned individual shafts.

·
Registered
Mathews V3 31
16 Posts
I’m only getting 262 FPS. However, this thing is an absolute laser. Accuracy takes precedence over speed for my needs. It also seems to be quite a bit more forgiving than my V3 31. So far I can say that I am VERY happy with my purchase and time invested in this project.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I can’t get my timing set. It’s maybe a 1/8 off. Half twist in that it’s too much. I have non zebra strings coming so hopefully It’ll be alright once I get them on.

·
Registered
Mathews V3 31
16 Posts
Rest vertical set at 0 and slight adjustment of D loop got me to bullet holes. I did have slight nock low with initial nocking point using level.
I will say that I have never gone through the the bare shaft tuning to this extent. I also have struggled to get acceptable accuracy from fixed blade broadheads in the past. Not the case with this set up. I have shot fixed blades with exact POI as my field points without any needed adjustment out of this bow. Very rewarding and confidence inspiring. As soon as I’m done nock tuning the rest of these arrows and get them built I will be starting the process over with my V3.

·
Full Time Novice
8,257 Posts
It varies on nock height from the once I’ve set up I don’t even measure center shot. I eye every arrow down the center of the limb bolt. Most of my customers don’t anchor or hold the bow level so I never expect it to tune level. I’m usually for most unless they anchor super high on their face around 1/8” nock high and that’s with broadheads hitting fletched the whole paper tuning process is point less in my opinion and I don’t spend too much time with my customer doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Mathews V3 31
16 Posts
I can agree with that. I wasted a lot of time working with a bubble level for “perfection” just to have to change my nocking point on this set up. I wouldn’t put too much time into paper tuning until initial set up is complete and the individual becomes familiar with shooting their new bow. A bullet hole at this point can lead to false confidence. But once the arrow selection process starts I personally want to know my arrows are tuned to my personal set up. Otherwise it could become a tail chasing downward spiral. Or at least that’s been my experience in the past. While hunting I much prefer pass throughs and want to do everything within my power to achieve this.

As a bow tech, which I am not, and you are. I think you have the right approach to get your customers happy and headed in the right direction. It’s on them to do the fine tuning if they want to get into that kind of detail. But will more than likely be deadly accurate and happy if they choose to shoot their new bow as you have set it up for them.

·
Full Time Novice
8,257 Posts
I can agree with that. I wasted a lot of time working with a bubble level for “perfection” just to have to change my nocking point on this set up. I wouldn’t put too much time into paper tuning until initial set up is complete and the individual becomes familiar with shooting their new bow. A bullet hole at this point can lead to false confidence. But once the arrow selection process starts I personally want to know my arrows are tuned to my personal set up. Otherwise it could become a tail chasing downward spiral. Or at least that’s been my experience in the past. While hunting I much prefer pass throughs and want to do everything within my power to achieve this.

As a bow tech, which I am not, and you are. I think you have the right approach to get your customers happy and headed in the right direction. It’s on them to do the fine tuning if they want to get into that kind of detail. But will more than likely be deadly accurate and happy if they choose to shoot their new bow as you have set it up for them.
I try to get them use to the bow before we tune and since 90% of my sales are hunters we go ahead and get a good broadhead tune out to 40 yards unless they need further

·
Full Time Novice
8,257 Posts
Question, in your experience if a bow is broadhead tuned to 40 yards and they want to go longer does it usually require much more tuning to achieve longer distances?
Depends on the head. I try to get my elk guys tuned farther at least minimum 60 yards. Some can’t shoot or maintain a 6” group with field tips at 60 yards. While others think that’s that’s good certainly not bad. I see fixed blades open up to 6-8 inch groups and that’s tough to make an adjustment.

For my personally I’m close really close. Like micro clicks close

41 - 60 of 63 Posts