Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

i ordered a V3X without ever drawing it. i'm a lefty and there were no lefties in my LAS. i was basing my decision off of shooting my HTR NoCam and the Mathews name.

so what's the complaints i read about the V3X draw cycle all about?

Todd

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Last year I decided to shoot the new Mathews as I was giving my HTR to my son in law. I was very disappointed in the way the new cam felt and decided to go a different direction. I found a different bow that felt better and passed on the Mathews.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
No mathews fan boy, but think you have to be awfully particular to complain about the v3 draw cycle. The stock grip is a turd, but there are solutions for that.

Reactions: xdr and 20Yarder

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agree with Jay. I shot close to a dozen bows before deciding on the V3X. There is a bit of a hump as the cam rolls over and I am running about 57# with 85% let off. This was my first bow so I am running the draw weight a bit lighter. I do notice when letting off that I have to push it forward to let off the draw. Have only had to do this once, but at 85% it has to roll back over that cam. I would like a set of the switchweight mods for 55-65 with 80% let off to see how it changes the draw cycle. I will say though I love this bow, and since it was my first I went into the buying process with no brand loyalty.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The switchweight cams are going to be more aggresive in the draw cycle compaired to the HTR NoCam.

However, as long as you aren't cranking the draw weight past your limits I don't think you'll find them to be problematic. If you try to pull above your limits then things can start to feel harsh, but that is the case with any bow.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I have shot TRXs a lot and had never shot over 62lb or ever used a hunting bow. My 70lb V3X 33 took no time at all to get used to. Sure, there is a slight hump before it breaks over, but if this is a problem, the user is way over-bowed IMO. I run it at 70lb exactly and consider it a smooth and comfortable draw cycle. It doesn't stack heavily towards the back end as some bows do. If you can pull the first half, you can easily pull the second. I like the draw cycle. In fact, I far prefer it to the draw cycle on some target bows. It is nice and linear and smooth. While some bows have no hump at all, they may be more variability in the draw force curve. I'm sure there are draw cycles that would, on sampling 1000 archers in a blind trial, be considered better, but I honestly cannot wrap my head around those who have scathing things to say about the V3X draw cycle. I just don't get it. Maybe it's draw length dependent. Maybe some people have a beef!

·
Registered
466 Posts
To me the V3X 29 at 60 lbs is smooth as butter. I think the biggest complaint is the hump right before it breaks over. It doesn't bother me at all

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I think this sums it up. If you like the draw cycle, you like it. A hump at the end typically means it's going to fall off that hump into the valley, but it's all perception and control. If as an individual, you find it to be butter, then someone else classifying that hump as not smooth means yall's perspective is different. It's why bow draw cycle opinions are just opinions. Everyone perceives it to be different. I classify a hump then fall into the valley no matter how easy it is to control as not being smooth as butter. That doesn't mean I can't love that draw cycle. Comparing that draw to a current Athens Vista, it's a rough draw cycle. Comparing it to a pse xpedite with fast letoff mods, it's smooth. MY OPINION. See what I'm saying? Don't worry about people saying it's smooth or harsh. Doesn't change how it feels to YOU, and you've already got it on the way. Stop worrying and enjoy it when it arrives. It'll be the same as the vertix, vxr, and v3. Look at the actual graph of the curves on those bows and you'll see hardly any if any variation (yes, there is some, but it's VERY slight). That translates to how it draws directly. It's a map of where it loads up. Enjoy your new bow.

·
Registered
Mathews V3X 29 LH, Spot Hogg FE-XL triple stack, Bee Stinger 8" front & 15" dovetail slider back bar
17 Posts
Went from a 60lb PSE with an aggressive single cam to a 70lb V3X 29, I'm also a lefty and like you I didn't get to shoot anything before ordering my new V3X.
I don't think the draw cycle is terrible, but obviously going from 60 to 70 is the biggest difference I find. I have 80% let off mods and I don't think I would like the 85%, the drop to 85% might be what some people find to be a hump in the cycle. I find it to a great draw, pretty much what I figured it would be.
The V3X is solid when drawn, I am very happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
Mathews, Athens, Hamskea, First Lite, UltraView
176 Posts
I own both the V3X33 and the 29, the 29 is my whitetail rig this year for sure and has the 60 pound 80% mods on it. Super smooth draw, I can’t find the jump with the 80’s but noticed it with the 85’s. The 33 will go out west with me and it has 70 pound 80% mods on it. It as smooth of a draw as I’ve felt at 70 and again no hump at the end. The 80% mods do make a difference but for the speed it produces the draw is great. I’ve owned several 33-34 inch ata bows the past few years, PSE, Bowtech, elite, and Athens. Shot the Hoyt’s but nothing comes close to the carbon defiant I have hanging on the wall. The Athens is awesome as well but I really love this V3X33. Took it to TAC up in Michigan and shot great, got home and now dialing my heavier elk arrows and it just get more impressive with the speed of a 550 grain arrow and how quiet it is. It is also incredibly accurate, holds great, my pin float is definitely much slower and tighter than my V3 31 from last year. Both the 29 and 33 are as good as it gets in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
The stiffness of the draw cycle comes at the back end, which causes an abrupt drop in to the valley. It's not my favorite, but I've been shooting this cam system since it came out, and I'm accustomed to it, and have no real complaints about it. I've bought each new model year bow, and I know what to expect when I first draw it back - they all typically feel the same. There are much smoother draw cycles, sure, but really ... it's not big deal. People argue about it mostly for the sake of arguing. If it was truly awful, it wouldnt have been as successful as it is.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I can’t stand the 85% mods. All my Mathews have 80% mods on them because it doesn’t dump into the valley like the 85% does

Reactions: OCHO505 and flair

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I can’t stand the 85% mods. All my Mathews have 80% mods on them because it doesn’t dump into the valley like the 85% does
Definitely makes a huge difference to me in overall draw cycle as well.

OP - everyone's opinion on draw cycle will vary. Also need to be sure that any bow that you test at a bow shop is set up correctly and in spec. MOST are not and this alone can have a huge influence on how the bow feels and performs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Getting back into archery and just bought a v3x 33. I put about 100 arrows down range through it and a Hoyt venture pro. If you are complaining about the draw cycle on a new bow from pretty much any of the makes you need to go back and shoot the bows from 10-15 years ago lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
Getting back into archery and just bought a v3x 33. I put about 100 arrows down range through it and a Hoyt venture pro. If you are complaining about the draw cycle on a new bow from pretty much any of the makes you need to go back and shoot the bows from 10-15 years ago lol
Yep, every once in a while I'll take a few shots with my old Hoyt Enticer Carbonite just to put things in perspective.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Any long draw guys shooting the v3x33?
Wondering what the draw cycle is like at 31"
I've shot at 30" 60# 85%, 30" 65# 85% mods and 30.5" 70# 85% mods.
I'm a normal 30.5" DL but the 30" just feel and fit me better.
For me personally there is a difference in the draw cycle in the SW mod system when you change the draw weight. A lot smoother at 60# and harsher at 70# but the 65# is a happy medium. I keep hearing everyone talk about draw cycle. I have found that the SW mods can fit pretty much anyone's draw style if you get the correct mods (i.e. DW and % letoff). Just remember that in archery to get the speed that everyone seems to want these days (Speed is not everything), the draw cycle will be stiffer (more aggressive). I think you will be pleased with your choice in selecting the V3X 33. Great shooting bow with forgiveness and shootablility. You might have to play around with selecting which mod will work for you but that's what makes the SW system effective. There is a reason why Mathews hasn't changed the cam system in several years!!!!! They have found something that works.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@ bowhontalcolic - i shoot a V3X at 30" and to me (an older archer) the draw cycle is smooth, just as smooth (but a different draw curve) than my HTR which i've always found to be a smooth drawing bow. i would bet there'd be no different feel at 31" hope that helps

1 - 20 of 25 Posts