Archery Talk Forum banner

Va opener almost a success....Anyone else ??

1200 Views 24 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  steeld3_4
Well I got into some pretty oaks this morning right before light here pretty much in my back yard.Had turkeys within about 70 yds for about 30min then out steps a big doe and 2 fawns.They fed for about 30min on the plentyful acorns and I was going to shoot the big doe but she just wouldnt give me a shot in the thick underbrush.Well they fed on off and then out steps ol big boy.I nice 8 pointer probably 125-135in deer wich is great for around here .He fed for a long time at about 40yds but that joker just wouldnt offer the shot I wanted.He was either head on or slightly quartering to me.Needless to say I didnt get a shot off on him but it was a great morning none the less until about 5 beagles came through about 9:30 and pretty much ended it for me.I guess folks are trying to get ready for rabbit season...:mad::mad::mad::mad: This is probably the biggest acorn crop I have seen in 10yrs in my area.It rained acorns all morning on the entire ridge I was on.....Hope everyone had a good safe hunt this morning.If you got something post it up..
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2,015 Posts
Saw a Big Body Spike:confused: His body looked to be a mature deer but the head only had about 10 inch spikes......Maybe all these acorns are feeding them good storeing alot of Fat for the Winter. Always heard a Good or Excellent Mast crop is natures way of feeding the animals for the nasty winter ahead. I brought some Red Oak acorns back to my daughter that were the size of Golf balls.

But I haven't been back in this spot for 3 1/2 weeks so I wouldn't disturb well after no action from about 7:30 ish I figured I'd come down and get some stuff done around the house. But I'm alittle Confused....becouse normally around here I don't see any Scrapes till late October....and I found a Ton of Rubs and 4 Scrapes within 70 yards of my stand. I'm heading back in there about 1PM for the Rest of the Afternoon!

· Registered
1,618 Posts
I was walking to my stand before dark this morning and didn't turn on my red light until I went into the woods to get in my stand. I'm walking real quiet and I get about 10 yards from my stand and there is this nice buck bedding down right underneath my stand! Who would have guess it, crazy stuff.

The acorns were raining down this morning yes, saw 15 does and 5 bucks but nothing worth talking about. Had too many eyes on me to try and shoot a doe this morning but hopefully this afternoon will be a little better in a pop up on the ground. Great morning to be hunting though!

View attachment 461699

· Breathn
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ttt

Yeah I had a older fellow tell me one time when there is a mass crop of acorns then you will probably see a bad winter.Well the ground is covered with them almost all my stand sites.Its good and bad,if there was one tree th.at had them it would be awesome.Deer can pretty much feed in a 5 acre radius of my stand and not have to look hard for them this year.It was a nice cool morning though.I really enjoyed it.

· Registered
1,871 Posts
Saw 15 hens about a 100 yards away. Had a spike in range but let him walk. A nice shooter 8 point, but couldnt get a shot. Had 2 8's somewhat sparring with each other. One was close to being a shooter, the other was small. Saw a big doe but she was a bit away too. Didnt see a thing this evening.Hopefully I can try again next weekend.

· Registered
361 Posts
Slow opening morning

I was hunting outside of Richmond (Hanover, Va) and I had similar results....tons of acorns but didn't see hide nor hair of a deer. The VA Wildlife Calender didn't predict today to be a good day for hunting (I'm starting to believe in the moon phase chart). But we wouldn't have good days if it weren't for slow days. Good hunting to everyone.
Will

· Registered
6,936 Posts
Great being out there the first day!!

But no luck opening day!I headed out to one of my ground blinds on our farm here right at 3pm and stayed put till 6-30!

I had 2 yearling does and a small 4 pointer that came in around 5-45 but never came into the clearing -they stayed out at approx. 70 yards behind a row of Cedars.Eventho I was totally pumped to be out on opening day I probably wouldn't have taken one of the three I saw even if given a comfortable shot.I just have my sights set higher this season of taking only mature does and bucks that go 140 plus.I know the BIG bucks are here on our farm cause I have been watching 2 big boys for the last few months

I'm gonna head back out Tuesday & hunt from one of my ladder stands in the very back field (which is the area that I have seen the 2 big bucks the most)I also figure I have a better chance of seeing bigger does back there as well!!

It was still sorta warm today so I suspect it hindered most of the Deer from moving much!But still it was just AWESOME to be out in the woods on opening day!! This is a big part of the overall exprience-enjoying the tranquil sounds of the birds,etc. and the smell of the crisp mountain air & the trees.Just hearing the squirrels carrying on along with the many assorted birds set the mood for me for the new season upon us!!:wink:

· Registered
5,756 Posts
But no luck opening day!I headed out to one of my ground blinds on our farm here right at 3pm and stayed put till 6-30!

I had 2 yearling does and a small 4 pointer that came in around 5-45 but never came into the clearing -they stayed out at approx. 70 yards behind a row of Cedars.Eventho I was totally pumped to be out on opening day I probably wouldn't have taken one of the three I saw even if given a comfortable shot.I just have my sights set higher this season of taking only mature does and bucks that go 140 plus.I know the BIG bucks are here on our farm cause I have been watching 2 big boys for the last few months

I'm gonna head back out Tuesday & hunt from one of my ladder stands in the very back field (which is the area that I have seen the 2 big bucks the most)I also figure I have a better chance of seeing bigger does back there as well!!

It was still sorta warm today so I suspect it hindered most of the Deer from moving much!But still it was just AWESOME to be out in the woods on opening day!! This is a big part of the overall exprience-enjoying the tranquil sounds of the birds,etc. and the smell of the crisp mountain air & the trees.Just hearing the squirrels carrying on along with the many assorted birds set the mood for me for the new season upon us!!:wink:
Cool to hear someone from my hometown. Born and raised in Funchester. Ill be their this sat. to hunt my sister property in the morning and my friends property in the afternoon. My brother in law didnt go hunting this morning but woke up at 7 and sat on the front porch to see if any deer would walk by and he saw 9 does. So looking forward to this sat. :rolleyes:

· Registered
474 Posts
Great

My wife and I sat in my new Brickhouse blind this afternoon. Saw two small bucks and 5 does. All within shooting range but was waiting for the big fat doe in the back to come a little closer and one of the small does decided it was time to throw the white flag.She got within 8 yards and decided enough was enough. Great afternoon the only bad thing was when I was in the blind checking my clearances I stuck a broadhead thru the roof!!! :eek:

· Registered
326 Posts
i went out this morning and had the one deer that is off limits because of the wife says so. it is a doe with a broken front leg that has been around the area for 5 years. she walks with a limp but can run great. she decides to bed down by the stand for 1/2 hour and then left. on a side note , my 46 harley won best of show at a bike show this afternnoon. hopefully monday morning will be better.

· Registered
2,589 Posts
I ended up seeing 4 bucks this morning. The first came by as it was getting daylight. I was pretty sure it was a buck. I passed, and when it crossed a field, he ended up being around 100'' eight. At 7:45 I had a group of 3 bucks come my way, two eights and a six. I took the biggest eight, he's probably pushing 100''. Rage broadheads are awesome..... is all I can say.

· Registered
182 Posts
Look Who Slipped Up Opening Morning

First attempt at loading pics. Only 5 minutes in the stand. He walked in with a small 4 point. Only went 50 yards. Double lung shot, complete pass through. Should have heard the thump it made. How is the shot placement? Looking forward to the rest of the season! :darkbeer:

Attachments

· Registered
1,376 Posts
congrats to all the deer! i got a fat old doe. she came in with 2 fawns and another mature doe, came to about 12 yards of my blind, where i shot her. my first opening day deer! great day to be alive, and ejoy hunting! good luck to the rest of you, its a long season ahead, plenty of time to get er done!

· Breathn
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ttt

nice work on the deer.I hope to get out in the morning.I am going to try to shoot some does this week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.