Archery Talk Forum banner

Vacuum Sealer ???

1155 8
Looking for recommendations of features you like with your sealer.

I am looking at the basic versions. But the more advanced versions have built in cutters. Some do containers with vacuum hose.

Looking at Food Saver, or Tilia.

What should I steer clear from?

I normally whack two deer a year, and only do my own. (No family or hunting party)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
349 Posts
The wife just purchased a "game saver deluxe plus" by Food Sver. we just processed an elk and used this to pack the meat. No problems so far and you can purchase the canisters as well. Has a built in cutter. Only draw back if it is one, is that you have to wait approximately 20 seconds between bags to seal. This isnt a problem as long as your not as fast as my wife. she likes to use the rols and make her own bags and when she get her groove goin' the seal starts flashing and she cant do anymore until it cools down. This is not a real problem and the unit is just right for what it was made for. I have a friend who also uses one to pack wheel bearings. just put the bearing in surrounded by grease and start the vacuum process. it sucks the grease right in with little or nonmess.(so he says). I think she paid about $99.00 at the local Rural king.
JD

· Registered
826 Posts
Food saver here. I use it for fish a lot, hardly ever for anything else. Works pretty well, it's the middle of the line model.

We usually have a LOT of seafood though, and it doesn't last nearly as long if you don't vaccuum bag it. Venison can be 2 years frozen if you wrap it with freezer paper well and all you need to do is trim it a little and it's good to go. Not so with fish...6 months is about it unless you vac it.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Spend the money for a good one and you will be more satisfied for it. Nothing cheap here.

· Registered
835 Posts
Been using a food saver for bout 8 to 10 years . Thing works good. When it craps out I'm getting one with a cutter. if you don't buy the pre made bags the cutter is the way to go. I vac seal all kind of stuff. I do about 350 lbs of sausage every year with it . It took a few years to get my Dad to vac seal, He was an old school butcher , loved the freezer paper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.