Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished walk back tuning my Martin Scepter III target bow with Nitrous X cams. After the tune was perfect I noticed I had some vane marks on the inside of my chrome riser. After cleaning the riser and further observation after shooting each arrow I narrowed three of 7 CXL with 2.5” Dura vanes making contact and marking the inside of the riser. I tried slightly moving the rest away from the riser to eliminate the contact until I noticed I was out of tune, and still getting contact. I’m thinking these three arrows are flexing differently than the others. At this time I'm not certain if this contact is affecting arrow flight or not. Is it normal to have in tune bow with good arrow flight but still have some sort of vane contact with the riser?

· Registered
431 Posts
Is it possible to have vane contact and good arrow flight...?Sure. Is it normal or desirable.?... Not really.
Are all the arrows of the same spine? Are all the nocks positioned exactly the same? Is it always the same 3 arrows making contact?

· Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Is it possible to have vane contact and good arrow flight...?Sure. Is it normal or desirable.?... Not really.
Are all the arrows of the same spine? Are all the nocks positioned exactly the same? Is it always the same 3 arrows making contact?
Yes, all of the arrows CXL 250 selects with the nock in the same position. It is the same 3 arrows making contact.

· Back Yard Champion
35,898 Posts
What poundage, draw length, rest, weight of tips and using a mechanical release?

??? If using a release I believe the arrow would be on it's way before tail whip would come into being.

You paper tune your rig?

· Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found out why!!!!

Thank you for everyone who participated in this thread.
I wanted to share my findings in correcting this phenomenon.

After moving the center shot back to perfect I continued to notice some intermittent light vane contact with the riser.

I participated in an indoor shoot over the weekend with disappointing, below normal results for my indoor scores.

After setting my normal practice routing aside for a few days, and shooting again last night I was able to observe the source of the clearance issue.

I noticed that the fletching on the left side was making contact with the left cable guard on my “shoot through cable” bow creating a right tail whip making contact with the riser.

In conclusion over the last month I seemed to form a bad habit of pushing with the bow arm too much, while in turn pushing the cables in toward the arrow. Now that I am shooting with better form again I have not noticed clearance issues, and scores are back to normal.

A shoot through bow will defiantly let you know if you have draw length issues or form flaws otherwise harder to detect with a cable guard bow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.