Archery Talk Forum banner

vane angle

1146 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Progen
Im want to know if there is a set vane angle that works better than a good guess? Im using 1.75 vanes.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,085 Posts
I use vanes too. Either 1.75" or the Duravanes 1.8". I set my Arten upright jig to give me an offset of 1/8". If you go too much of an offset, the extra spinning might rob your shafts of some downrange energy.

· Registered
1,085 Posts
It's not a matter of good or bad now but what you'd want is a slight offset so that the arrow spins earlier and in an archer determined direction as it leaves the bow.

From what I recall of slow motion footage somewhere on YouTube, a straight fletched arrow will still spin but it'd be better to control the direction by the angle of fletching to ensure proper vane clearance because again from those videos, the arrow can be seen to have rotated slightly by the time the vanes reach the rest / clicker plate region.

I'm not much into arrow physics so can't say for certain how a straight fletched arrow would do against an offset one in wind but I offset mine more for clearance issues.

· Registered
435 Posts
I can't advise on what angle to use on your vanes but I don't believe adding offset to a vane will help you with clearance issues. It would actually create a larger profile of the vane if you look straight down the shaft, which translates into greater potential for clearance problems than with a straight fletching.

Proper nock placement on properly fletched arrows with or without an offset should not pose issues on a bow with a correctly setup rest and plunger (if used).

More offset = more drag on back of arrow which means it straightens out faster and spins faster as it travels. But this comes at a cost of arrow speed which is more important for distance and outdoor shooting than indoor. There is also "less atmosphere" indoors, so the drag on arrows is less indoors than out. Fletching angle has got to have very little impact on the speed the arrow leaves the bow. It's impact would be that the arrow slows down and straightens out faster due to the increased drag on the rear of the arrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.