Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So can anyone chime in on the Bohning x shield cut vanes? I shoot a 401G axis arrow out of my Hoyt factor @60Lbs with a 100G slick trick standard BH. I hunt out west in Arizona. I was shooting blazer but IMO once you get past 70yrds the blazers become ineffective. I use the Arizona mini Max Fletcher w/ right Helical. My question is has anyone had any one on here conducted any long range field testing with the x- shield cut vanes, and will the smaller 1.50 be enough to stabilizer and steer the fixed slick trick standard BH or will the 1.75 sized vane be best bet. I know everyones different and you must conduct your own testing, just trying to see if anyone on here has experience with them and long range shooting with actual field conditions with wind drift and things of that nature.

Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Been using them for a good while on my 3d arrows...I think there a lil lacking to steer a fixed blade braod head. You may wanna give the heat vanes a look and see I believe they will work a lil better for u

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
So can anyone chime in on the Bohning x shield cut vanes? I shoot a 401G axis arrow out of my Hoyt factor @60Lbs with a 100G slick trick standard BH. I hunt out west in Arizona. I was shooting blazer but IMO once you get past 70yrds the blazers become ineffective. I use the Arizona mini Max Fletcher w/ right Helical. My question is has anyone had any one on here conducted any long range field testing with the x- shield cut vanes, and will the smaller 1.50 be enough to stabilizer and steer the fixed slick trick standard BH or will the 1.75 sized vane be best bet. I know everyones different and you must conduct your own testing, just trying to see if anyone on here has experience with them and long range shooting with actual field conditions with wind drift and things of that nature.

Thanks y'all.
I’ve shot the 3” X and don’t notice any real difference shooting long distance. The profiles of the shorter X vanes you mention are smaller than the blazer which would lead to less steering/stabilizing so if that’s your worry you need to try the 3” not the smaller vanes. But buy a few and fletch a couple of each to try out. My only knock on blazers is how loud they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
What exactly do you mean by: "the blazers become ineffective after 70 yards"? How do you measure that?

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
What exactly do you mean by: "the blazers become ineffective after 70 yards"? How do you measure that?
I was wondering the same thing. I've shot Blazers and others to 130 without any issues.

·
Back Yard Champion
27,664 Posts
Same here, wondering what is meant. Use to shoot Field and Blazers shot great out to 80 yards.

Shield cuts aren't known for hunting, more of target. The 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" are pretty small. I use the 1 3/4" Shield cuts for my 3D arrows. Just ordered 100 2 1/4"Shield cuts for my bigger diameter target arrows.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm in the middle of a serveral different vane test right now. Still undecided but i have cancelled all the sheild cuts out as of now. (For fixed heads). A 1.5" 4 fletch sheild cut will not steer fixed heads consist for me in my set up. They also seem to be a touch louder than parabolic cuts as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies guys. For me I felt like once I got out to 70-90 yards the blazer were inconsistent with my slick trick standards. Put the field points back on and my groups tightened back up. Iv'e also noticed that they are loud. Also ruled out shield cuts. Just order some 3" Vanetec Vmaxx going to put as much helical on them as possible. Hopefully testing in a few days.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Try out Bjorn Dragon flight vanes, Lancaster archery sells them. My current setup is PS26 with 100 grain target point, Dragon flight 2 3/4" vains weighing in at 355gpi.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts