Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what kind of glue works best for you guys? i use the bohning platinum kind and it does not work at all!!! maybe im not doing it right but it always seems like within a few days the vanes come off. help please!!!!

~Tyler:shade::slice:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Steel force worked good and has a great applicator. Goat works fantastic but the applicator sucks. Either for me.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
bohning platinum is a good glue. What vanes are you using? Some vanes needs the bottem base to be wiped with some MEK Solvent. Acetone and other alcohol wont do. Make sure you clean and prep your shafts good too. You shouldnt have a problem. I like to use bohning platinum and flex bond. A lot of people here like to use cyanoacrylate types glues (Super glue, loctite). They use whatever works good for them.

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
Goat Tuff works wonders :smile: They won't come off unless you cut them off...:D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we use blazers. we never really have cleaned the shaft though. that could be the problem? thanks for all the input guys.

Tyler

·
Registered
612 Posts
AAE fast gel work fine fo me.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Fletch Tite Platinum is all I use. Clean the shaft first and make sure you get enough pressure on the clamp. I also allow 15 min per vane or 1 hr per feather... Overkill perhaps, but they don't come off.

·
CenterX
4,227 Posts

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,380 Posts
Loctite Superglue ultra gel for my vanes:D

·
Registered
422 Posts
Clean the shafts and AAE Fast Set is what I use. The only time I have had my blazers come off is if the get shot off or shot through and then have to cut them off. I have had one fly off but I rushed putting that arrow together and never cleaned the shaft...just put the vane on.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've been using Bohning Platinum fletch tight for a couple of years on both feathers and vanes. Never had any issues with sticking. I use 91% isopropyl alcohol to prepare the shafts.

·
edthearcher
6,455 Posts
Just wondering what kind of glue works best for you guys? i use the bohning platinum kind and it does not work at all!!! maybe im not doing it right but it always seems like within a few days the vanes come off. help please!!!!

~Tyler:shade::slice:
i use only the platinum has always worked great for me. clean shafts is also important

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I have been experiencing great success using Gorilla Glue's Super Glue Gel.
It has an "impact resistant" additive.
I have been using it on my vanes and inserts.
I just dab a few spots on my vanes and then run the tip of the bottle along the vane to spread the glue and that's it. 30 seconds and I am doing another vane! I use the fletch tite glue to finish off the front and rear tips of the vanes. This helps a lot in preventing tear-offs when the arrow passes through a target or game.
I do wait about 24 hours before shooting the newly fletched arrows though.
Good luck!

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Loc-Tite Ultra Gel is what I'm using now days and it works great with Blazers for me...I leave each one in the clamp about 45seconds or so and then go to the next...Dot the front & rear of each vane when I'm done and let them setup for 24hours before I shoot any of them. I dont have any issues at all with them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Loctite Superglue ultra gel for my vanes:D
This is what I use cause its cheap and easy but more than likely something is not getting cleaned. most any glue should work as long as everything is clean. I have had the best results with denatured alcahol. I used an old t-shirt and cut it into two rags. I use one rag to clean shafts and one to clean vanes. I clean the shaft and throw it in the jig and then put the vane in the clamp wipe it down let it dry for about ten seconds and then apply glue. I let them sit for ten minutes and then repeat.

Never had a vane fall off doing it this way but I think having everything clean is the key.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts