Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Pse Evolve 31
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just looking what you use or think is the best size vane is? I currently shoot 3'' but need to get more and am thinking about switching. I also helical fletch if that makes a diffenece? Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
longer/larger vanes will stabilize faster, but weigh more so slow arrow faster, and affect FOC.. both work tho... it's comes down to what you want to do...

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,247 Posts
The biggest influence that I've found, affecting how much vane I need, is FOC.
At a "normal" FOC range of between 8 and 12%, I need at least 3" standard profile or maybe lower profile Super Spine vanes.

Much smaller than that, and I start to see control issues.

However, at 19% FOC, I have no issues at all.
Even with very very tiny 1.75" FITA vanes.

·
Registered
10,976 Posts
OP, what are you using these arrows for? Do you currently have a problem? What is your current FOC? Why not share your current set up so we can help you? If it is field point, 3" is plenty, I shoot 1.5" for 3D, and i hunt with 3" feathers with a 3 blade fixed.
Heres the deal: Is your bow tuned? Shoot a fletched arrow and a bare shaft together at 20 yards and post a pic. Before you start changing things, lets identify the problem or problems.
If your bow is tuned, (and your form is correct) you will be able shoot a bare shaft in the bullseye and it will be going in the target very straight, parallel to a fletched shaft. If you can do that, you tell me how much fletch do you need?

·
Registered
Pse Evolve 31
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i currenly have the new pse evolve 35 coming in. I mainly hunt and target shoot and am a 28 Dl. Before this bow i was shooting an older pse bow madness and had it tuned from shops and myself. I had problems with tail movement in flight but cleared a lot of that up with slight tune and form corection. I have been into building my own arrows for about 2 years now so still very new but i love to tinker and hear what other more experienced people have to say. I am running low on arrows and need to get new shafts and fletchings so i just thought id open my ears to peoples opinions before i got them. Most likly i will get a few different just to mess around on older arrows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts