Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has been using Spider Vanes from the recommendation of a coach but is getting extremely frustrated with them. She is shooting a 22# Olympic recurve and on average has to refletch 2-3 arrows per 3D shoot, 1-2 just practicing in the back yard. We need to order her some new arrows and she wants to change to something else, but isn't entirely sure. She likes the Victory VAP V1's that she has been shooting.. just not the constant refletching (is on her 3rd pack of Spider Vanes in about the same number of months).

She's been looking at the AAE Wav vanes, but is open to other suggestions... or tips to help keep the Spider Vanes from tearing all the time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Since OR 3d distances are usually less than 30 yds for younger folks, I suggest you try a plastic vane that's larger and more durable than the WAV. My son and I are both the 2.25 inch Vane Tec Swift at 3 degree helical. They offer good correction when our release gets sloppy and they have held up very well over the last year plus. I don't recall him losing any vanes while shooting though he's had his nocks broken a couple of times.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since OR 3d distances are usually less than 30 yds for younger folks, I suggest you try a plastic vane that's larger and more durable than the WAV. My son and I are both the 2.25 inch Vane Tec Swift at 3 degree helical. They offer good correction when our release gets sloppy and they have held up very well over the last year plus. I don't recall him losing any vanes while shooting though he's had his nocks broken a couple of times.
Thanks. It's been awhile since I posted that. Another poster in the FITA board was experiencing similar issues and several posters said to check the arrow spine. We took her gear down to a pro shop that is more recurve-focused and sure enough her arrows were way to stiff. We've moved her from 700 spine VAP elites to what they had on-hand which are Carbon Impact UltraFast 950's.. and hasn't lost a vane during practice since then and finished the TN ASA State without a single torn vane or lost arrow!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts