Archery Talk Forum banner

Buying pre-fletched arrows, which vanes should I get?

• 4" vanes

Votes: 65 28.3%
  • 2" blazers

Votes: 165 71.7%

Vanes for fixed broadhead

5263 Views 119 Replies 78 Participants Last post by  BreakingTheBend
The pro shop owner I took my bow to told me some news I didn't know:
With fixed broadheads you should use 4" vanes. anyone else find its better to use 4"? I wanted to get some smaller ones, especially when I start my own fletching.

Thanks
CW
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

· Registered
552 Posts
I am also a Striker and 2" blazer user, no problems here either. I have taken shots past 50 at a target and I am 100% confident in them for my normal hunting shot ranges well under 50.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
I have tried the 2", 2.25", 3.13", and 4" QS's, and the 2" Speed Hunters perform best with all my fixed-blade BH's out to 80 yards. This is with 1000's of shots and testing that I have done. I would love to be able to use a lower profile vane for more fletching clearance, but the others just don't perform as well.

· Registered
13,757 Posts
more and more people falling out of love with blazers, there ok if they stick but not really better than anything.. there really great for real low brace height bows but when it comes to stabalization it is and was supposed to equal a 4" vane... I think most people will agree with that... but some will argue better.. hard to tell.. opinions get in the way of facts very often..

fact is I would have told you 4" feather is probably the best all around better than blazers or vanes... partly my opinion and partly ( mostly) the facts as they are when I compare the two... I shoot feathers for the fact they stabilize better.... yep they have a down side too... what doesnt'?

· On a backstrap mission!
2,042 Posts
in my opinion blazers are the best performing broadhead vane available today
ive shot everything from 1.8 inch duravanes to 5 inch helical feathers and i always go back to blazers for longer range broadhead accuracy

· Registered
2,847 Posts
I use 2" Blazers with Montecs, Muzzy's. and G5 Strikers - fly great. You need to fletch them up with a pretty significant helical offset. And put a drop of Bohning Platinum at the end each vane after taking the arrow out of the jig.

· Registered
25,353 Posts
i use 2 inch blazers and my heads all fly great.

· Registered
1,557 Posts
4 inch vane on a HARD helical is what I have found to stabilize a broadhead the best under hunting conditions i.e. not my best form:shade:

I have had success with 1.8 aae on a slight offset when everything else is PERFECT in practice....but perfect is not what I am in the woods.

· Registered
2,903 Posts
I started shooting 2" blazers with my stingers and thunderheads and they fly great for me. Even go to say they seem to group a little better than my feathers.

· Registered
8,490 Posts
I don't like the inconsistency of the Blazers as far as quality control. I use the Flex Fletch Flash vane with my 1.5" Silver Flames and have great performance with them. Their quality control is second to none.

· Registered
1,796 Posts
I have tried the 2", 2.25", 3.13", and 4" QS's, and the 2" Speed Hunters perform best with all my fixed-blade BH's out to 80 yards. This is with 1000's of shots and testing that I have done. I would love to be able to use a lower profile vane for more fletching clearance, but the others just don't perform as well.
5MilesBack - I am now shooting 2.3" vanetec SS 3-d Vanes. How do you think they would work with 100 grain Slick Tricks?

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.