Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The red dye on my fletching is coloring the mole skin pink on my ultra rest. Its even begun to tear a few. Is the string too short or too long?

Pete

·
Registered
865 Posts
The red dye on my fletching is coloring the mole skin pink on my ultra rest. Its even begun to tear a few. Is the string too short or too long?

Pete
well for one, make sure your cock vane is up. seen plenty of people shoot that rest with it down and they wonder why the are getting contact. if you are shooting it up then your string is too short. you want the string tied in about half way down your grip on the cable. i have never had any issues with these rests if you set them up CORRECTLY. hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
well for one, make sure your cock vane is up. seen plenty of people shoot that rest with it down and they wonder why the are getting contact. if you are shooting it up then your string is too short. you want the string tied in about half way down your grip on the cable. i have never had any issues with these rests if you set them up CORRECTLY. hope this helps.
If the bows is setup correctly,WHY would it matter.I have setup a couple and had no issues with contact with the cockvane up or down.

Most importantly is getting the correct vertical center for the style bow you are shooting.Secondly,make sure to follow directions on how to time it properly.

The main issue I have heard of with the hunter model is bounceback but I have had no issues with it on the couple I have setup.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
If the bow is set up correctly in most cases index of fletching won't matter (might for tall vanes and the top containment bar).

Draw your bow and see when the rest comes to the full upright position. It should do this in the last 1/2" of draw- no sooner.

If it doesn't come up, cord is not long / tight enough.

If it comes up before the last 1/2" of draw, it is too tight / short.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I have used qad rests since day one when the first hit the market, shoot any vane you want if setup according to directions you should have no fletching contact. Your nock height must be correct of course,
Tip buy the white powdered athletes foot spray spray fletching, and shoot , this will show you exactly where you are getting contact as it will rub off the fletching,and leave a white mark where the fletching contact is occurring.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have used qad rests since day one when the first hit the market, shoot any vane you want if setup according to directions you should have no fletching contact. Your nock height must be correct of course,
Tip buy the white powdered athletes foot spray spray fletching, and shoot , this will show you exactly where you are getting contact as it will rub off the fletching,and leave a white mark where the fletching contact is occurring.
Even with cock down?

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
It will matter with a QAD if you are shooting Blazers.
That is not necessarily true. Set up perfectly, you will get ZERO contact, even if you're using Blazers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Your cock vane is not down. Won't there be contact with the rest if your cock vane is down?

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
Your cock vane is not down. Won't there be contact with the rest if your cock vane is down?
There shouldn't be as long as it's set up like it's supposed to be (timed perfectly), and your nock height is not much higher then 1/8" above 90* (+/-). But I always shoot shoot cock vane up anyway........

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
i had issues from day one. had different places set it up and it still did it. but my arrows and b heads were flying great so i never changed it.

bought a new bow and threw on the limb driver and now im happy.

good luvk with the ultra

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't have contact at all and I shoot with cock up also. Just eyeballing my set-up...it looks like it may touch if it were down. It may not, I do have to wear glasses when reading so I may be seeing something that isn't there!! :)

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
I don't have contact at all and I shoot with cock up also. Just eyeballing my set-up...it looks like it may touch if it were down. It may not, I do have to wear glasses when reading so I may be seeing something that isn't there!! :)
I know the feeling, brother.....lol

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Try it cock vane down and see what happens. Paper will tell you pretty quick if you have it shooting bullets now.Some bows will be much harder to tune than others.Those that have level and straight nock travel will be easier than those that do not and have to be set nock high like some 1 cams but I have set the hunter up on both styles and have not seen any issues. However, I don't shoot Blazers.I do test for contact with a 4 vane fletched arrow.

A properly spined arrow will also help.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
A big part of the timing of the QAD that a lot of guy overlook is the tie in point of the pull cord. The lower it is the faster the launcher arm will drop. I always tie in the pull cord even with the bottom of the grip. Look at Bowkill's photo.....a lot of the time it's tied in too high and guys will get contact and blame it on the rest. Once set up correctly there will not be any contact issues no matter what vane you shoot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quad/Blazer/1 cam

I,m shooting blazers. Cock vane up. Initially had severe contact any way up. It is a timing issue. Set it up so it comes up tot he timing marks between 1/2 and 1" from full draw and you will be able to shoot BB's even with 1 cam.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
quad

You may have the same problem I have had with a couple of the quads. The spring tension on the down stroke is set to light, this can be set by taking the back off of the rest and moving the spring to a hole further away. Note qaud says if you take the back off you will void the warranty. I have done this on a couple of the rests,one was to light from the factory and the other seemed to loosen up with use. I can shoot blazers with the cock down at 291 fps. If you do this make sure you hold the rest rod to the arrow side of the bow as you take the back off or the little cocking spring will slip out of place and it is a bear to get back in place. When the rests first came out qaud would give you directions on how to do this but now they want you to ship them back.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
As long as I set the timing right I have had zero problems with the QAD and fletching clearance. I also shoot cock vane up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts