Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I threw this short clip together. Just to show how ive been doing my vanes for some time now. So far ive not had any trouble with them coming off or becoming lose.

https://youtu.be/cMM-Ns5wDqw

I really thing the sandpaper and the down force is the key.

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here’s a pic of the finished arrow. As you can see I’m putting a good bit of twist on the vane.
15C3A400-5CB5-4DF9-80DF-E197359E1C62.jpeg
Anywho hope this is a little help.

I’m not trying to say anything other than that’s what I do.

·
Catty Shack
12,412 Posts
I've been using Dorge's acetone swipe and wipe method with great results.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Sand paper is great for increasing adhesion......
been doing that with my vets fot 15 years or so....

·
today's macguyver
5,682 Posts
Good video RT , i laughed when you pulled out a toothpick ,lol i use the same thing .
going to try the sand paper thing .
looks like i am getting the same twist with my Arizona EZ as you r laying down .
DSCN2315.jpg

·
Anti Fanboy
42,757 Posts
Good video RT , i laughed when you pulled out a toothpick ,lol i use the same thing .
going to try the sand paper thing .
looks like i am getting the same twist with my Arizona EZ as you r laying down .
View attachment 6369199
Believe it or not, after using a few different fletching jigs, if I were to be shooting 2" vanes, I'd go back to an AZ jig. I just wish they made a crossbow model for 3" vanes that provides a fairly nice helical.

I used to have a AZ Mini for verticals. That little jig put a great helical on Blazers. And best of all, it does all 3 at a time. The price is right and they flat work.

·
Vendor
2,400 Posts
There are a number of ways that work very well, sand paper, acetone etc.

Over the last 16 years there is likely no method we haven't tried

At the pro shop level by far the fastest and best is simply to use a primer, you spray or wipe it on the foot of the vane, let it dry and you are done!

Primer has an acetone base but additional chemicals that prep the vane.

Also super glue likes 65% humidity and temps in the 75 degree range

The sandpaper method is also a great way to prep, takes more time but for the home arrow builder it is a great way to prep the foot of vanes. We did this for a while prior to having a primer

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used the primer also it worked great. But i ran out lol. Goat tuff blue top glue you can get it anywhere and sand paper last for ever. And i just fletch my arrows and a few family members. And they shoot what i shoot or ill help them set up there own jig :).

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I basically fletch my arrows the same way. I always go back after all 3 vanes are on the shaft .and put 1 drop of glue on the tip of the vane oppposite side of the nock. I have found that 1 drop keeps the fetching from lifting up if it goes thru the target or hits something hard. If a vane is gonna lift up, it's always gonna start coming off at the front.

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I basically fletch my arrows the same way. I always go back after all 3 vanes are on the shaft .and put 1 drop of glue on the tip of the vane oppposite side of the nock. I have found that 1 drop keeps the fetching from lifting up if it goes thru the target or hits something hard. If a vane is gonna lift up, it's always gonna start coming off at the front.
Me too

1 - 20 of 92 Posts