Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I am a Junky
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were going to use just standard hunting arrows (GT Hunters) to shoot an indoor league, do you see a benefit of switching the vanes to say a 3" or 4" or just stick with the blazers?

·
Registered
735 Posts
when i got into archery a couple years back my techy told me he does the arrows in 4 inch veins to help with the broadheads. now they are quite tuned to fly same or close to field points so ive been running blazers and to me mine fly the same. the blazers are a slight thicker than the veins were so im having less distorted or damage veins now with switching to blazers

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Blazers are all you need and that's what I use on my hunting arrows, but I follow the theory that you want to stabilize your indoor arrows as quickly as possible so I use 4" x 1/2" vanes with a helical fletch.

·
Socket Man
24,315 Posts
You will be fine with your current arrows, I shot all of my 60x rounds with mini blazers last year and then went to target specific arrows with 4 inch feathers and didn't see any difference. As long as you don't have poor arrow flight the vanes or feathers don't have that big a job to do correcting anything and indoors there is no wind issues to deal with. Right now I am shooting 2.5 inch feathers and they are shooting just fine.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,787 Posts
Like Padgett, what you have will do nicely. I've used Bohning X vanes of 1 1/2" up through 4" and for indoors I can't tell the difference. Currently use Bohning X vane 1 3/4" Shield cuts for indoors and 3D.

·
I am a Junky
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So last night I shot my personal best with my GT XT Hunters with blazers. So that settled that, correct spine and arrow is more important that vane length. So my next question is for anyone that shoots a spot league, if you were going to buy new arrows and wanted to keep the "hunter" size shafts what indoor/3D arrow would you buy. I want to stay around $100-120 range for a dozen but I also want the best I can get for indoor without going to a fat shaft. I want to keep my GT XT Hunters for hunting and would rather get a dozen with glue in tips for league/3D shooting. I am not brand specific and will give anything a try.

Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm just getting into the indoor thing but the ultralight 22s, or Velocity will be very close. If you're using the same bow/site for hunting and target I would stay with the same shaft though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts