Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Archery Mafia Hitman
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that use it as a cover scent how do you apply it....spray? and do you fully cover yourself in it head to toe or just on your boot's?........most importantly has it worked for you and do you have any examples of where it proved itself to you?.....Any pro's/con's would be great.........I am going to start using it after hearing about it since my youth and was just wondering what other views were?.......:darkbeer:

·
Archery Mafia Hitman
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I personally do not use cover scents. I think the best way for me atleast is to go as scent free as possible. No cover scents, fall blend formulas or earth scent dryer sheets. I'm all about scent free scent killers. I've seen alot more deer when I switched to doing this about 4 years ago. Vanilla??? I've never heard of that being used as a cover scent and I would not do it if I was you. SCENT FREE AND YOU'LL KILL DEER!!!!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I use a scent bomb(film canister and clothes pin) placed roughly where I want them to stop. Way to many bears here to put it on as a cover scent.

·
Archery Mafia Hitman
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump......

·
Registered
247 Posts
i heard about the vanilla cover on here a few days ago. I gave it a shot last night just spraying it on my boots. Did the deer like it, not sure. it sure didnt spook them. 2 does (all i saw last night) got on my trail. they caught me and stared me down for about 5 minutes before slowly walking off. i was in a climing stand 20-22 feet up. they were 12-13 yards from my stand. i hadnt been caught like that in a long time. i know i wont be using it again, it cost me a deer.

·
Livin' in a van....
8,476 Posts
I personally do not use cover scents. I think the best way for me atleast is to go as scent free as possible. No cover scents, fall blend formulas or earth scent dryer sheets. I'm all about scent free scent killers. I've seen alot more deer when I switched to doing this about 4 years ago. Vanilla??? I've never heard of that being used as a cover scent and I would not do it if I was you. SCENT FREE AND YOU'LL KILL DEER!!!!
true words! Although the "Scent Smoker" has me intrigued

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Just two words...

Amen brother!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
It just seems like vanilla would make it easier to pinpoint a hunter. I guess if you placed it several yards away, to draw attention away from yourself, that would maybe work.

Yes, the Scent Smoker looks very interesting. Probably going to try it this year when people start firing their furnaces.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have had some sucess with team fitzgerald's VK..vanilla killer...it has a vanilla smell to it...its actually about the only scent i use anymore...i just dab a little on a corn cob and throw it 10-15 yards out from my stand...its just enough to get the deer curious and turn their attention away from my stand so i can draw...i wont say it works all the time but on 1 1/2 yo does it seems to do pretty well...i dont use it as a cover scent but as a curiosity thing...and i dont use it all the time,it depends on the weather and the stand i am hunting out of..its not good to over do any scent...JMO

·
Registered
3 Posts
is vanilla a naturally occurring substance in the wild? i don't think it is here in wisconsin. i agree with AmishArcher- just stay scent free. i think i have scent killer flowing through my veins. i'm already on my 2nd gallon, and the season is only a few weeks old. it's a bit of an overkill, but generally effective nonetheless.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I tried the vanilla thing last night. Dripped it out on the ground when I walked in to my stand and then put several drops in one of my shooting lanes. Just before 7pm a big doe came in from down wind and stopped right there and smelled the ground, wrong thing to do. Made a nice broadside hit and she went about 50yds and piled up. I will definitely be using it again when I go hunting this weekend. Big Nanny Doe Down!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I have used it on my boots with good results

·
Air Bender
803 Posts
here is a thin line to think about, how is that different from using apples or an apple extract? its sweet, smells yummy and i'm sure the deer have one thing on their mind when they smell it "FOOD". do you get where I'm going with this?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
We'll see how it does. I sprayed some on a stump in front of my stand. The trail cam is pointed at it. I gave a few sprays to some surrounding branchs about 5 ft off the ground. I havent been gettin a ton of movement in this spot(besides racoons and turkeys), so we'll see if activity increases or not.

I dont think I would use as a cover scent. The deer will be looking for where that smell is coming from, if its the ground, a stump,or a tree, the deer wont be alarmed; if it sees you.............:bolt:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have used it as a curiosity cent before. I left the spray bottle at the bace of my tree for some reason had a doe under me smelling it. So does it work I say like all sents sometimes if there in the mood. Not sure it will cost you anything but I wouldn't put it on my boots as they will come looking for it and you don't want them lookig for you. Spray it around you stand.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts