Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkimg of changing over to feathers but don't know if thats a smart thing.. Am I going 2 gain anything or loss anything? Whats the pros and cons of each one? Also why you using vans or feathers on your arrows? Wheres a good place to get feathers that has alot of colors to pick from? Thanks for the input..

Goldslinger...

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
I use to shoot 4" feathers for around 18 years , I switched to Fusion vanes 2 years ago and couldn't be happier , feathers are good but do make alot of noise either by rubbing on stuff while walking in/out of the woods and even in flight , and oh yea they suck when they get wet . Not saying vanes don't make noise , I think it is less than feathers though ..I used one arrow last season to kill 5 deer and 1 turkey and only washed it off with soap & water and that arrow is still in my quiver ready for this season , with a feather you would have to replace them after being soaked up with blood ...

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Vanes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
505 Posts
It really depends on what type of archery you are planning on doing. Hunters like vanes because they are quiet and fast. Target archers like features because they steady the arrow quicker, but create more drag and are louder.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Ive been shooting feathers for indoors, but I have decided to shoot 4" duravanes this year, only because of the durability factor.. Feathers are pretty delicate, and I am tired of constantly re-fletching...

B~

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I use 4" feathers still. feathers are more forgiving. after shooting a deer. I wash the blood off and let dry. I then hold the fletching over a boiling pot of water and the steam brings them back to form. they also make a solution to waterproof feathers. it works pretty good. I say shoot what ya like.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Depends.
Vanes are heavier and slower out of the bow. They do not lose as much speed at longer ranges like feathers.

Feathers are lighter. # of them normally weigh as much as one vane. They are quicker out of the bow but have more drag and lose some speed down range. They also do not like to get wet.

So it just depends on what you will be using them for.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why worry about your feathers getting wet..?? For around $6.00 you can waterproof 100 or so arrows..Been using Fletch-Dry for years and I can promise you it works like a charm..you can coat an arrow drop it in a bucket of water pull it out and it will be as dry as when it went in..

5086.jpg

·
Waiting on Season
14,905 Posts
this hunter likes feathers. but i use em to stabalize a big broadhead too.

·
Michigander R.I.P.
5,492 Posts
I'm using the Gateway Razor feathers and don't see myself swithching anytime soon. Use the fletch dry above and your good to go. Shooting fixed blade i will never switch from a 4" to 5' feather full helical. Have tried all the hype and nothing steers fixed blade heads better than feathers.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Feathers are more work , for a reason .....

if you have the time and patience to fletch and test go with good feathers ,
if ya wanna go shoot and are not a nit picky kinda guy , vanes ,
When you are ready to set your personal game and accuracy up , feathers ,
That said many a 60x vegas have ben shot with plastic ....

2 cents

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
That said many a 60x vegas have ben shot with plastic
And even more with feathers. :nod:

I use feathers for everything. I don't see a downside at all.....not even hunting since I waterproof them with Camp Dry silicone spray (and I don't bowhunt in downpours either). I've tried all kinds of plastic and always end up returning to feathers. So a while back I just said "SCREW IT" and took steps to make my feather use economically feasible. I got choppers and buy large bags of full length feathers, which makes using them less expensive than most vanes. I even use wild feathers to make fletchings and that ups the cool factor by a thousand.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I shoot on ranges where some of the targets are a little soft and the arrows sink in past the fletching. I pull them out the back and then reverse the matted feathers and go back to shooting them. You can shoot a feather fletching with part of it torn away and it still flies well. If I shooot that same vane fletched arrow into a soft target it crushes the vanes and they are never right again. Likewise if you get a tear or crinkle in a vane it doesn't seem to fly correctly again. On the positive side, vanes are cheap.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Vans might be too long and heavy :cool:

Use vanes here, 4" usually bohning or aae, both work fine

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Feathers are more work , for a reason .....

if you have the time and patience to fletch and test go with good feathers ,
if ya wanna go shoot and are not a nit picky kinda guy , vanes ,
When you are ready to set your personal game and accuracy up , feathers ,
That said many a 60x vegas have ben shot with plastic ....

2 cents
Gonna have to disagree with you on that. The only extra time involved with shooting feathers is the drying time when fletching. There should be no testing or tuning involved. If you cant get your feathers to fly you probably will not get vanes to fly either.

I am shooting the 4" Gateways now. Whenever my supply runs out I may consider dropping down to a 3" or 2".

1 - 20 of 48 Posts