Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a vantage elite plus and having trouble out of the enter shot. i went yesterday to my local shop and shot it throw paper and it shot a bullet hole but when i get out to 40 and 50 the arrows look like they are going end over end. its ripping off the right vane u can see were it is hitting the arrow shelf. im shooting a easton light speed 400 right at 5 grains per pound. im left handed.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Josh. I don't know where you have the center shot, but both my Contender elite and my Alpha E are at 5/8". What rest???

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
If your vane is hitting the shelf thats not a center shot issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I'm a little puzzled how it can shoot a great hole thru paper and rip a vane off.... I know you've been shootin since you were a kid, and this ain't your first rodeo, so I figure the bow is in time. I have set up on my Alpha Elite right at 5 grains per pound and the arrows only weight 240 grains/ 47#. If I don't get a really smooth release and shoot good form, they fly like crap. but I've not had any vanes ripped off on the shelf.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Its not weird to me. He is just catching it in the paper at the point when it's going straight.

It's a clearance issue. Find where the vane is hitting and make it stop. I bet you don't have a bullet hole anymore. But your arrows probably won't look like a kid doing tripping down a hill either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
There are just too many things that it could be... Without seeing the set up and you shooting it, we're all just guessing. Center shot on the Hoyt target bows should be very close to 3/4" to 13/16"...5/8" is WAY too close.

What kind of cams are on the bow???

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
if it's a spiral cam bow, you might be looking at a nock travel issue. try setting the top cam 1/4 to 1/2" ahead of the bottom cam to get better arrow flight. It's just the nature of the beast with these cams

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
if it's a spiral cam bow, you might be looking at a nock travel issue. try setting the top cam 1/4 to 1/2" ahead of the bottom cam to get better arrow flight. It's just the nature of the beast with these cams
I do not agree with this. Why make the nice back wall mushy?

A few of us, shooting the spirals on Hoyt's target bows, found that you need to torque the bow to the right a bit...if you're right handed. This is on very well tuned bows after calls to a few Hoyt pros, after we could not get out the left tear, no matter what we tried. This dramatically improved the flight of our arrows.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I do not agree with this. Why make the nice back wall mushy?

A few of us, shooting the spirals on Hoyt's target bows, found that you need to torque the bow to the right a bit...if you're right handed. This is on very well tuned bows after calls to a few Hoyt pros, after we could not get out the left tear, no matter what we tried. This dramatically improved the flight of our arrows.
are you shooting Gold TIp arrows and getting a left tear? and did you just say you need to torque the bow to get a tune??????

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Set the cam lean for starters (should be done with any bow before tuning as should timing the cams). Then set the centershot to 3/4"-13/16" and check it with a few shots through paper at multiple distances. If the cams are timed properly you should have the arrow crossing the BB hole and the nock point set square. If you move the nock and rest up then you need to slightly advance the top cam to make tuning for clean arrow flight easier (nock travel).

These things should be tuning easily. I've found Hoyts very simple and straightforward to tune.

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
are you shooting Gold TIp arrows and getting a left tear? and did you just say you need to torque the bow to get a tune??????
Nope...ACG's

And yup!

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
I've NEVER, EVER had to neither leave that much space between the stops on a Spiralled bow nor torque one to get good arrow flight. There is nothing in their design that warrants these things whatsoever. If you have to do these things to tune them it's you and not the cams. Your tuning them to your own shortcomings, which is fine and what you're supposed to do. But it's not like that across the board for everyone.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it had a little cams lean in the top cam and the bottom cam we had to swap the limbs side to side.it brought the center shot back over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts