Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently started shooting paper,last week I shot a 299 and 39x it was the 4th night of our league and before this I honestly thought the the game was boring but now i find my self looking forward to shoot again. I can really see my self getting in to this. I am a shop shooter(3D) and was discussed hitting our local paper circuit next year.

I am 6'4 and have a 32"dl i am looking at 60# The shop i shoot for is a hoyt dealer but nearly 100% of his sales are hunting related, so he does not have any of these bows in stock. I would also like to know the differences between limb choices and and also cams and your preferences.

For those of you with experience what set up would you recommend, the plan is to find a shop with your bow recommendations and go shoot them.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if you have any info it would be appropriated.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
There are a number of threads on comparing these 2 bows if you do some digging.

With your size I would probably look at the vantage elite +.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
With your draw the VE is the one that most likely fit you best. If you don't love spirals get the GTX cam

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is the difference between the xt 2000 and 3000 limbs

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
VE. Long riser, short limbs. you won't be sorry. also spirals.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
i've always thought of the contender as an upgraded ultratec. ultratecs remain as one of the all time favorite target bows, but i personally think their time has passed. i've shot ultratecs, cybertecs, protecs, ultraelites, proelites...... with plain old ultratec being my fave. with that said, i found the vantage elite to be a superior bow. i for one really believe in the long riser short limb concept, as long as the riser is stiff. jmo

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
xt 3000 limbs are most commonly used by finger shooters hoyt came out with a set of bad ass carbon fiber limbs id look into if i were you
I will do some research but do you know what these limbs, what are they called. What about the cams, I have never shot spirals, and from what i see the gtx cams are the closest to what i am used to shooting (fuel cams) i dont know. give me your input.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ttt.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I have recently started shooting paper,last week I shot a 299 and 39x it was the 4th night of our league and before this I honestly thought the the game was boring but now i find my self looking forward to shoot again. I can really see my self getting in to this. I am a shop shooter(3D) and was discussed hitting our local paper circuit next year.

I am 6'4 and have a 32"dl i am looking at 60# The shop i shoot for is a hoyt dealer but nearly 100% of his sales are hunting related, so he does not have any of these bows in stock. I would also like to know the differences between limb choices and and also cams and your preferences.

For those of you with experience what set up would you recommend, the plan is to find a shop with your bow recommendations and go shoot them.
CE will not go to your draw length with stock strings. VE+ will :) At your height and DL you might as well take full advantage of the VE+

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what would be the suggestions for cams on the VE+ i read that the DL on it runs a tad long?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If you are confident in your DL, I would say go with Spirals, if you think you will want to monkey with it at some point the C1.5.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the input guys is there any more info i should have. At this point i am looking at the VE+ xt2000 limbs and i am still contemplating which cams i would like.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
The VE with 2000s and the CE with 3000s are similar in size and DL range. I prefer the more upright limb angles and lighter mass of the Contender.

I'd go SX cams, but I've been shooting Spirals for years and have grown very, very fond of them. They offer more performance, smoother draw cycle (stiff, but without humps or dips) and they are letoff adjustable, which is a big plus in the target game, especially with low DW spots shooting rigs that weigh a freakin' ton. :lol:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
what is the difference between the xt 2000 and 3000 limbs
The only difference really between XT 2000s and 3000s is the length of the limb. The 3000s are a longer limb and on the Contender will make the bow about 3" longer over all.

I will do some research but do you know what these limbs, what are they called. What about the cams, I have never shot spirals, and from what i see the gtx cams are the closest to what i am used to shooting (fuel cams) i dont know. give me your input.
In my opinion the Fuel cam is MUCH closer to the spiral cam then the GTX.

what would be the suggestions for cams on the VE+ i read that the DL on it runs a tad long?
The draws don't really run long but they setup longer if that makes any sense. If your draw is 32" then you want a 32" cam. When you set the bow up the draw may be about a 1/4" or so long. You would then just need to twist your string so that you take the draw down to the needed length. If your draw is a bit shorter then 32" say actually closer to 31 3/4" then you would want to go with the 31 1/2" cam.

Both bows are going to have very close to the same specs. The brace height is a HAIR longer on the Vantage Elite then it is on the Conteder with 3000s. But the length of the Contender is longer by about an inch. Both bows are great bows and you probably wouldn't go wrong with either. But a lot of people that shot Ultras and Contenders have found switched to the Vantage and like them more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts