Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched the "comparison video" on the Vapor Trail Limb Driver rest web-site. What a joke!!!

The arrow they used for the "other brand" rest has vanes are super wavy. They look horrible!! No one would use an arrow that had vanes that look that bad. And, of course, the arrow used on their rest has perfect vanes.

http://www.vaportrailarchery.com/arrow rests/

That's dirty pool, in my opinion...

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
You never worked in a archery shop before have you? You would be surprised what arrows some guys are shooting. Ive seen bent arrows that are missing vanes not just wrinkled. As far as dirty pool they are a great company and they dont need to doctor up a video for better results IMO. The Limbdriver is a great rest...

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI - I am getting ready to put their rest on my Mathews Heli'm. I was just dissapointed to see that on their video. It definitely isn't comparing "apples to apples"...

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
i recently was using a dozen older arrows with curled fletching for some 100 yard target work,,, most all flew very well thank you,, noisey as all get out but only one had bad flight,,,, it turned out to be a different spine...
the issue was how well the vapor trail rest held the arrow level ,, at least in the video it clearly worked better.... .. and in my experiance it does work better,, anyone who makes a commercial or video of a product will always show there product in the best possible light,,,,
theres a particular broadhead that is loved by some loathed by others,, would you expect them to advertise their head as
" when it works it's awesome"?,, or maybe "it works extremely well,, when it works at all"
i have found nothing but superior quality in all of vapor trails products,,,,, i dont even like fallaway rests,,, accept the limb drivers because they do work as intended,, ive tried several others,, one of them is pretty good but once in awhile it will fail to drop,,, it will never go on my hunting bow,, the limb driver has been in the woods,,, and i am a die hard biscuit fan,, but the dependability of the limb driver is well proven

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I agree that it is not an "exact" comparison. The "other companies rest" video was not shot by us. We got it from the internet and used it in comparison to ours. It is a very large expense to get extreme slow motion video done when you don't own one of the cameras, so we use what we can get. This video was meant to be a basic comparison, not an exact apples to apples video, as we don't have the same kind of apple tree as the "other guy" :). Sorry if it's not a perfect comparison. I would like to get an exact comparison sometime. When I do, it will be up on our website and posted on Archerytalk.

On a side not, I don't believe the vanes in the video are wavy. They appear wavy because the are in motion and the air passing over them is distorting them.....I would assume that they were perfectly straight before the shot, but again, that's not our video so I can't say for sure. Blazers are much firmer than a 4" vane, and will not distort like the longer ones.

Sorry if the video upset you..again, it was only intended for basic comparison of arrow drop.

·
Born yank raised south
16,741 Posts
I agree that it is not an "exact" comparison. The "other companies rest" video was not shot by us. We got it from the internet and used it in comparison to ours. It is a very large expense to get extreme slow motion video done when you don't own one of the cameras, so we use what we can get. This video was meant to be a basic comparison, not an exact apples to apples video, as we don't have the same kind of apple tree as the "other guy" :). Sorry if it's not a perfect comparison. I would like to get an exact comparison sometime. When I do, it will be up on our website and posted on Archerytalk.

On a side not, I don't believe the vanes in the video are wavy. They appear wavy because the are in motion and the air passing over them is distorting them.....I would assume that they were perfectly straight before the shot, but again, that's not our video so I can't say for sure. Blazers are much firmer than a 4" vane, and will not distort like the longer ones.

Sorry if the video upset you..again, it was only intended for basic comparison of arrow drop.
Awesome of you to post this. Makes the test more credible IMHO because you picked out one someone had already done and not conducted your own in house test that others would bash as being biased. Keep up the great work I love my Limbdriver.

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
I never really looked that far into it. What the video shows to me is that the launcher always falls away fast enough for the vanes to clear BUT the key is it does not fall too fast. It maintains support of the arrow longer into the shot cycle than do cable driven rests.

I have said this numerous times:

There is not an easier fall away on the market to set up.

There is not an easier fall away on the market to tune.

If I owned a pro shop I would ONLY sell Limbdrivers due to how well they perform but most importantly I can sell you when and have it installed properly in a minute. No messing with timing cord. Just tie it on the limb and pull tight.

There is not a better fall away on the market period.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trust me... I am not in any way faulting the Limb Driver Rest. It came highly recommended to me from a bow shop owner that shoots it himself. I just thougth it was strange in the comparison video that different arrows were being used. I just assumed that Vapor Trail had produced both slow motion videos. But, you know what they say when you "assume"... My bad.

Ears - thanks for the clarification!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The limbdriver has several disadvantages:
1. The wide launcher arm will not lie flat on a curved riser shelf.
2. The extra long actuating cord is a serious snag liability.
3. The limb attaching hardware is cheap and un-reliable.

I gave mine away and went back to a regular drop-away.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Kwilson:

1. We were referring to the Limbdriver Pro-V. The launcher arm you're talking about is on the Limbdriver Pro. That is just one of the options for arms, there are 3 other arm styles that are much narrower.
2. The "actuating" cord is never in the way. I've been shooting it for years and have never once had an issue. That is always a worry with people UNTIL they actually shoot the rest...then they realize it is not an issue at all.
3. The "hardware" has actually been replaced by a universal adhesive limb pad. This is much more convenient for many people, especially dealers, and works excellent. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you talk about the hardware being cheap and unreliable. The split limb adapter is machined aluminum, very high quality, and I have never seen one fail. The solid limb adapter is higher-quality plastic (machined), and works just as well. That being said, neither of them are sent out anymore unless requested, as the new pad is much more convenient.

If you have any questions or anything feel free to let me know!! Cheers!

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Hey Ears, some people just don't get it, if ya know what I mean;-)

I've got no issue's with my limbdriver and the bow shelf, the cord hasn't got in the way, and I wrapped some moleskin around my limb and then tie'd a D-loop style knott. Excellent rest

·
Registered
859 Posts
I just watched the "comparison video" on the Vapor Trail Limb Driver rest web-site. What a joke!!!

The arrow they used for the "other brand" rest has vanes are super wavy. They look horrible!! No one would use an arrow that had vanes that look that bad. And, of course, the arrow used on their rest has perfect vanes.

http://www.vaportrailarchery.com/arrow rests/

That's dirty pool, in my opinion...
I'm guessing no one posting so far has ever noticed the effect that a Whisker Biscuit rest has on arrows with plastic vanes. I have. That's the first rest I used on my first bow - an older PSE. After shooting arrows through this rest (admittedly, numerous times) I started noticing the top edge of all vanes were becoming more and more wavy the more I shot. I found info on the web indicating this was a common occurrence with this type rest and about the only thing that could be done to straighten the vanes was to use a hot air gun or hair dryer to heat them and let them cool down shortly after. This works but only for a short time. Once the vanes pass through the WB several more times the wavy edges come back. The reason this happens is due to the friction, minimal as it is, between the whiskers and vanes as the vanes pass through, causing the top edges to warm up (as compared to the vane material close to the shaft) and wrinkle over time. As soon as I started using my Limb Driver those issues became a thing of the past.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts

1;there are two different limb drivers,, the pro v was the one being talked about,
2;the cord has never been a snag isue to anyone i have talked too, or on my own bows,, no more likely to cause a problem than the strings themselves
3; i have never seen or heard of the clamp failing, and most of them get tied onto the limb itself , with a few people choseing to tie them to the split harness and even the axle,, but all of them seem to be working without issues
4: you gave away a realy good rest,, never been a more dependable mechanical rest than the limb drivers

·
Registered
12,131 Posts

If you are having trouble snagging the cord you will have trouble snagging your cables and string on your bow. It really is a non issue. As far as attaching the cord, just tie it to the top limb or top yoke. I wish you would have given it to me. :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't beleive that the vanes really had anything to do with the point of the video... more about holding the shaft in place while still dropping in time to clear. That's pretty well been covered in previous posts.

I'm very interested in the LD Pro V. The concept outlined in the video seems very sound. The long cord does concern me a little... not for practice or deer hunting... but I walk all day carrying my bow when elk hunting and brush and limbs grab at everything. Glad to hear you guys seem to feel it isn't a problem, but has anyone carried their bow through a lot of thick cover that can give me a comparison to a conventional fall away rest?

I'd like to try the Pro V... but it isn't cheap. If anyone knows of someone selling a LH Pro V at a discount or used... please send them my way!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Any issues with the PRO-V on Hoyt risers, carbon or aluminum?

I'm shopping around for a new bow right now, so I'll be looking at rests too, of course.
The PRO-V really looks like a quality option.

·
Born yank raised south
16,741 Posts
I don't beleive that the vanes really had anything to do with the point of the video... more about holding the shaft in place while still dropping in time to clear. That's pretty well been covered in previous posts.

I'm very interested in the LD Pro V. The concept outlined in the video seems very sound. The long cord does concern me a little... not for practice or deer hunting... but I walk all day carrying my bow when elk hunting and brush and limbs grab at everything. Glad to hear you guys seem to feel it isn't a problem, but has anyone carried their bow through a lot of thick cover that can give me a comparison to a conventional fall away rest?

I'd like to try the Pro V... but it isn't cheap. If anyone knows of someone selling a LH Pro V at a discount or used... please send them my way!
I hunt in some of the thickest nastiest terrain you will ever see here in Florida. We have briars and wait a minute vines with thorns everywhere because they never stop growing. All that being said I have never had my actuator cord get caught in anything at all. I was worried about this before I bought the rest too but a few people set me straight about this and they were definitely right on it being a non-issue.

The rest is hands down the best rest I have ever used.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use the Limb Driver Pro V on all of my bows and switched from a QAD. You will not find a rest that is easier to set up and too me it seems much quieter than the QAD. I love the simplicity and it has been the best rest I have used to date.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts