Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Just thought I would give away a set of customs strings here on AT for someone. Any color combination you want, VTX material, and for any cam system. All you need to do is fill out what I'm asking for below! We'll choose a winner sometime on Friday, and get you going from there!

Bow Make/Model:
Current Strings:
Current Rest:
Current Sight:

Then, give me a little information about where you hunt, what species you hunt, what methods you like to use, and a short story of your favorite experience in the field, whether it be hunting related or not....A pic or two of your setup, a recent harvest, or scenery picture would be great, too!! Thanks everyone! (Pro-Staffers and Employees are ineligible!!!!)

I'll also include a free set of string bats, a hat, and Vaportrail Stickers. Just a thanks to everyone for supporting us!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Good idea there Ears. Looking forward to seeing some of the stories and photos!

·
Loving Me Some Spirals!
13,471 Posts
In for later!

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Here I go,
Hoyt Carbon Element
Vapor Trail Limbdriver
Sword Centerion
Strings are stock.

Primary hunting for whitetail deer in NE Georgia, some hunting is right on my own property and some of my nieghbors property, and I have a nice piece of farm land that I also hunt. The best times hunting are when I can get me and my son out together, we bowhunt only that's one reason for the farm we hunt, land owners do not allow guns. My best overall hunting story was when I shot my first 2 doe's with a bow, and my son was so proud until it was time to field dress them, then he'd had enough but it was a time we will never forget.

Attachments

·
NC ASA Director
35,989 Posts
Well, since I'm a staffer, I'm out. But I like the idea of the giveaway. Post up guys.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Bow Make/Model: 2010 Mathews Z7
Current Strings: Factory not sure? Bought bow used.
Current Rest: QAD HD
Current Sight: Spot Hogg Hunter

I hunt in Northeast Ohio, on a friend of a friends backyard property. It's not much but it's all I have for the time being. This is my very first year hunting in general. I hunted Whitetail this year. I have only hunted in a wooden tree stand and a ground blind.

My favorite experience would obviously be harvesting my first deer ever this year. Was in the tree stand at first light and around 2pm a group of 5 doe's walked about 15 yards from my tree stand. I went from calm as can be to freaking out when they came! It was the first time I had seen a deer with my bow in hand. It was an experience I will never forget. My heart was beating so fast, breathing like I just ran a mile, and shaking like crazy! I managed to get my shot off through both lungs. She ran 50 yards and fell next to a tree. I shared the meat with my family and close friends. I have the arrow with the date written on the vanes hanging in my basement above my work bench.

Here is a picture of myself with my very first deer:

firstdeer.jpg

·
Registered
162 Posts
I could definitely use some new strings!!

Bow: Bear Anarchy
Strings: Stock from Bear
Rest: QAD HDX
Sight: Trophy Ridge Pursuit

Well here's my story: I am a young (in perspective) Michigan hunter, but I have been in the field since I was 8 years old. I am currently 22 years old and only hunt state land here in Michigan, Private land is so hard to come by! Since I am a poor college student (Michigan State!!) I have not been able to indulge my love for archery into any other species other than whitetail. I have been in the field in Oakland country Michigan with my Dad since I was 8 years old. Unfortunately he moved to Colorado a few years back so I've been a loner in the field ever since. I love to hunt because it is one of the only things my dad and I ever did together. The land that I hunt is tough pickings, full of hunters but if you have the drive you can find your spots. The places I hunt are primarily hardwoods mixed with many thickets and swamps for good bedding areas. My favorite experience came this past season. It is difficult for me to get in the woods these days because of my heavy class schedule and working my way through school. I finally had some quality time to hit the woods hard in December and boy did I hit it hard. The last week of the season I finally mind a nice "honey hole" that I saw deer in every day. I passed on many doe and a few small bucks, because I knew there was a big guy in the area. Well one day I was walking out of the woods and came across a new young hunter. We got to talking at our cars and he told me it was his first year hunting and he had never shot a deer, no one in his family hunts so he was just learning as he went. He seemed like he did his research and had a good base knowledge. I wanted ot help this kid get a deer! So I invited him over to see how he shot before I helped him get a deer, I wanted to make sure he was an adequate shooter, and he was pretty darn good! Well I invited him out with me the next morning and while walking in he went to split off to his spot, I told him to keep walking and he was confused. I walked him up to my "honey hole" and I told him about all the deer I have been seeing and that h had to stay totally still and keep your eyes peeled because they just show up out of no where. I couldn't believe how excited this kid was. I told him to call me if something happened. Well noon rolls around and I couldn't believe he didn't call yet. SO I get out of my stand and walk over there and there he is sleeping in my stand!! I wake him and he says "I wanted to let you hunt" I was confused, until I looked ten yards behind the treestand and there was a nice deer laying there already gutted! I gave the kid a big hug and I was very impressed by his nerves while he was also so pumped! I look forward to an ongoing relationship with this "youngster" and hopefully someday he will be the one putting me on the deer!!

Here is a picture of me with his deer, wish I could have gotten one with him and I both in it!

JeffDeer4.jpg

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Mathews Z7 Extreme tactical
Stock strings
QAD HD Ultrarest
HHA XL-5519

I hunt all over central Kentucky. This spring I am going with two fellow ATers (1979bowhunter and Kevin70) bowhunting black bear in New Brunswick. I've been bowhunting 20 years now and still have a lot to learn. Lol. I have put down all firearms and now only hunt deer and turkey with a bow. I have gotten my 7 year old daughter into archery and I think she loves it more than me. That means much more than killing any deer or turkey to me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'm in!! I'm due for new strings, anyway, so thanks for the opportunity.

Bow Make/Model: Martin Cougar Magnum
Current Strings: Bucknasty
Current Rest: TR Revolution
Current Sight: Extreme RT900

As far as bowhunting goes, I only hunt whitetail deer at this point. I mostly hunt private land in Vermont, with an occasional venture onto public land. I have permission on ~200acres where the landowner lets us put in foodplots, so my son and I do quite a bit of work there on plots, stands, running cameras, etc. I enjoy the prep work almost as much as the hunting. I also take 1 out of state DIY / Public land trip each year with a good friend of mine.

Last year we went to Maryland's Eastern Shore for the first time. We were bowhunting a piece of public land and my buddy had just arrowed a nice young buck when he saw a big-bodied, heavy antlered deer walking through about 70yds behind him. The bigger deer never came any closer, but now my buddy knew where this brute lived. As we were recovering his deer that evening all he could talk about was this big deer and how we needed to scout out a place for me to set up to kill this deer. Even after 35yrs of hunting and traveling to several states, I'd never shot a decent buck. My buddy knew I was due and was more than willing to help me make that happen. We moved down the ridge about 100yds from where he was setup the night before, found some runs, a couple of scrapes and a good tree for the climber nearby. We checked in with each other on the radios as evening approached and every time he'd end by saying "Shoot that monster".

Wouldn't you know it, at 5:30pm here comes the deer he had seen the night before. He was feeding on acorns and SLOWLY making his way my way. I had to keep talking to myself to try to keep some kind of composure because I knew I was going to get a chance at the biggest deer I'd ever had in bow range. Half an hour later he finally walked by my tree at 10yds and stopped, quartering away. Well, my "composure" suddenly flew out the window as I drew, aimed and released, basically all in one motion! The buck ran off hard and was out of sight almost immediately. He ran for probably 4-5seconds and I heard him go down. I immediately called my buddy on the radio and gave him the news ... "I shot the monster"! I was barely coherent. My buddy was sitting maybe 300yds away, but was at my tree before I even reached the ground! He was definitely as excited as I was. We found my buck just 60yds from where I'd shot him. What a hunt, and I owe it all to my VERY unselfish friend who put me on this deer. Keep in mind when reading this story that we are from Vermont. People get excited when someone shoots an 80" 8-pointer here. So to us this deer is very much a "monster" and my biggest buck ever.

Thank you for letting me share my story and for the chance to win some strings!

Copy of IMG_0045.jpg Copy of 0038_fixed.jpg

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
bowtech /07 guardian
schaffers rest
hha sight
trophybound custom strings

i hunt whitetails in shawano county wi,iron wi,ashland county,wi,and in price county wi.
i hunt whitetails in menominee county michigan as well
i hunt bears in iron county wi,in 2010 i shot my biggest bear hitting the scales at 300 lbs,the skull measured in at 18 inches.

im a family guy ,i work in the marine industry as a certified tech on yamaha outboards and in mercury marine products,i am a mentor in wisconsin youth hunt program,i have posted 2 picks of my bear,1 picture of this past years youth hunt,1 picture of my 2011 buck,and 1 picture of my 2008 eight buck.

when i shot my 2011 buck ,on halloween weekend i had 104 degree fever with the flu:pukey:,it takes a total die hard to beable to pole that off

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
8pt2.jpg

Bow Make/Model: Mathews Switchback XT
Current Strings: Zebra
Current Rest: QAD Ultra
Current Sight: HHA OL-5500

2012 will be my 39th bow season. My first was 1974 and I managed to kill a BB that year for my first deer kill of any kind. I have hunted mule deer, elk, and pronghorn but whitetails are my first love. Figuring them out is like a detective novel where a hunter needs to piece together the clues to what they are doing. Nothing is more rewarding than when it comes together. I have killed deer with a recurve, longbow, and compound which is pretty much my preferred weapon. I love traditional bows but the honest truth is I'm not a good enough shot with them to be fair to the animal. My best memories involve fathers. First with my own. He wasn't a deer hunter but he borrowed an old recurve and tagged along with me when I got bit by the archery bug. He was along the day I killed my first and that little buck is one of my proudest trophies. The second was with my son and me being able to be with him when he made his first bow kill, a 4 pt when he was 14. I couldn't have been happier if I had killed a world record. Along the way I've seen friends lose the passion for hunting but that's never happened to me. As each season draws near I still get like a kid before Christmas. I think what I love most about bowhunting is that every day begins with the potential to be a great day.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Bow Make/Model: Elite Hunter
Current Strings: Stock
Current Rest: QAD
Current Sight: Spot Hogg Hunter

I primarily hunt whitetails and turkeys in S.E. MN. I've done a few Texas whitetail hunts and will be going on an Antelope hunt in WY this fall.

My favorite experience in the field was taking a nice 10pt with my bow last year and having my son be a part of it. I've shot lots of nice bucks over the years, but having him be old enough to get excited about the situation was a lot of fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
2010 PSE Axe 6
Stock Strings
Trapdoor rest
HHA 5519 sight

DSC01891 (Medium).JPG

I hunt mostly in whitetails Southern Michigan and occasionally travel to my dad’s property in Northeast Michigan to bow hunt. I have hunted in Ohio, Kentucky and Kansas in the past. My most memorable hunt was in Ohio a few years ago. It was an afternoon hunt during the second week of November. I parked my truck at the farmer’s house, got dressed, grabbed my climber and my bow and proceeded to walk to the tree I had been hunting down in the ravine near the creek. As I started to descend the hill into the ravine, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye; I turned my head to see antlers over the edge of the creek bank about 50 yards from me and he was following the bend in the creek heading in my direction. I quickly and quietly slid down the creek bank about half way and got behind roughly a 14” tree for cover. The buck at this point was only about 30 yards away and heading straight to me. I still had my climber on my back and had no time to take it off because I had to get my release out of my pocket and put it on and then I knocked an arrow. The buck was now only about 15 yards from me. He went behind a big tree, so I was able to pick my bow up off of the ground just in time as he came into view again. There are now only 10 yards and one tree between us. As he gets closer, I use the cover of the tree to draw my bow and swing to the side a bit to remain hidden as long as possible. As he emerges from the other side at only 10ft away, slightly downhill, I give a quiet grunt to stop him and released the arrow. I heard my arrow splash into the water and watched the 8 pointer run off and fall about 60 yards away. That was shortest and most memorable hunt of my life. After I had calmed down, I look at my watch and it was only 2:30pm.

This is the Ohio buck from the story above:
1111081210.jpg OHIO 2008 004.jpg

This is my 2011 buck that I harvested on Halloween weekend in Southern Michigan:
Oct2011 (2) (Large).jpg

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
2008.5 Elite Gt500
Johns Custom Strings
QAD Ultra Rest
Apex Gear 4 Pin Sight
I hunt mainly deer with the bow but this year I am going to try turkey hunting with a bow. It should be a lot of fun. I also hunt ducks and geese whenever I am not deer hunting and that has been a blast. I have introduced several of my friends into hunting and now they have got there parents into the outdoors. I also just started coyote hunting and that has been fun. This past weekend we pushed over 1500 acres and killed 5 coyotes. It was a lot of fun even though our group missed a few. It is more about the comradery than anything. The one thing about deer hunting that beats everything else is how close you can get to the deer and it really takes a lot of work to get within 5 yards of a deer. I really enjoy using natural surroundings and hunting from the ground. When you are eye level to the deer it makes it so much more exciting. Every little movement can be seen much easier and it really adds the pressure on the hunt. My favorite memory from the field was from 2010. I was bowhunting with my dad(he was watching). It was November 17 and was pretty warm. We sat in the stand for a few hours and didn't see a thing. There was 30 minutes of shooting time left and I could barely see my pins. All of a sudden I hear what sounds like a train coming through the leaves. It was a 130" 8 point. He came 20 yards away from our buddy stand and I drilled him. He went 50 yards and fell over. It was awesome. It is my biggest buck to date and I am glad my dad was with me to enjoy it.
I can't get pictures to load but can send them. Thanks

1 - 20 of 161 Posts