Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there 2 types of this scope? Is one a fixed 2.5 and the other variable 2-4? I'm curios because I'm not super happy with the glass on my scope in low light and was reading about it and then I saw these scopes have 2-4 power as listed but I think mine is fixed and can't really find anything about the fixed scope...

What does fish eye mean?

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Fish eye is the blur around the edge of the lens you see in lower end scopes. I've had several scopes that had this and its not the end of the world. Excal has a varizone and deadzone that are both the same basically...both speed/power adjustable and they have one that I can't remember what is called but is a fixed reticle....ie no speed or power adjustment. Then they have the shadow zone, tactzone and twilight. I think the one you are refering to is the one that came on the Ibex SMF/Axiom bows. I forgot what it was called but its a fixed reticle scope that looks like the varizone if I remember correctly. It was their lowest end scope on a package other than a red dot

If you want a decent little scope for the money I'd get the hawke xb1.5-5x32. Its going to have a little fish eye but performs quite well under low light conditions plus has a lighted reticle.

http://www.wyverncreations.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=122_123&products_id=448

·
Registered
514 Posts
A Varizone is an adjustable zoom scope that lets you use the zoom to adjust the reticle's range markers to match your bows foster. The scope you are describing is Excal's cheapest scope called a Drop zone. They are a fixed 2.5 scope and are not adjustable. The range marks are fixed and correspond for approximately 300fps bow. They usually came on the budget oriented models like the Axiom.
There is a newer version of that scope now on the budget models and it is now speed adjustable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So really I guess my debate is, should I stick with the Varizone or would getting the Hawke be worth it over the Varizone???

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Check this site http://www.wyverncreations.com/ and then call the owner David Wilkins and talk to him about the Hawke. My opinion is you will want to upgrade -- but, regardless of what you decide, you will get an honest and very knowledgeable comparison from David. He sells a ton of crossbows.

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts