Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Narrowed it to Vectrix Plus or Katera. Will be used primarly for hunting and a little 3-D target shooting. Any opinions?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If primarily for hunting I'd go with Katera.. Vectrix plus is great for Hunting as well. I have shot both... Katera is faster, just as smooth as Vectrix but with 6" brace height...
(sorry, I was thinking Vectrix XL, edited my post)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Same ATA

I believe they are both 33" ATA.
The Vectrix XL, no longer made, was a 36" ATA similar to the Katera XL.

The Vectrix Plus is a Vectrix with the updated Z3 cams rather than last years Vector Cams.

Almost Identicle.

Go shoot both, either way you win as they are great bows.
theoreticly the Vectrix Plus would be more foregiving due to the additional brrace height.

I recomend you shoot the Katera XL as well.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Katera

I just got my Katera and really like it. Very smooth and fairly quiet with a good wall. I got mine in black and will be using it for 3D and hunting. Make sure you get the proper draw length as the Z cam is not adjustable. Mine was ordered as a 29" and came in a tad long. Twisted everything up to 29 1/4" and it's shooting very nicely. I am sure once the fuse strings stretch out I will have to twist stuff again or have custom strings made. I would post a pic but I can't find my dang camera anywhere and it's not even camo colored.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm leaning towards the Vectrix Plus. I also shot the Katera XL. It wasn"t set up properly so it was difficult to compare. The Vectrix Plus seemed like a compromise between the Katera and the Katera XL. They all felt solid.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
None of the shops in my area had a vectrix plus, I would have liked to have shot one, I ended up with katera xl I like it.
The vectrix plus seems to be a real nice hunting bow.The Z3 cams are real nice, very smooth. I wish for a ata of 34 or 35 on a bow like that.

·
saskarcher
5,124 Posts
If you were blindfolded....
you would never know...
maybe even without the blindfold...

are YOU good enoygh to shoot the difference???

its all in the feel.....

not likely,.....
go for the longer bow. ;)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
What is your draw length?

28 inches or under go with the Katera. 28 1/2 inches or Over go with the Vetrix Plus or Katera XL.

Between the Katera, Katera XL, and The Vetrix Plus you can't make a bad decision. Their all great, tune easy, no cam lean, and fast. The only difference is the Katera is the fastest.

All 3 Bows will get faster than advertised speeds (3-6ft) and come with true draw length specs.

Isn't Hoyt Great..............:darkbeer:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Not sure

I have had the Trykon, Vectrix and now the Katera. The Katera is by far the fastest and the Trykon was by far the best looking bow (By Hoyt Ever, JMO) and I think the Vectrix was the quietest of all of them. I think that the 6" brace doesn't matter until you get out to 40 yard and farther. I think that I shot my Trykon and Vectrix better than my Katera at longer distances. I am still shooting the Katera well but not as good as I remember the other two bows. Maybe it's me and I need to just shoot it more not sure yet but it is fustrating, big time!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
i never shot the vectrix plus but i like my Katera. I also noticed out to 40 yards it is very good. I have shot out to 65 yards with mixed reviews, but i am not going to claim to be an ace shot so its probably a little of both but more likely its me!

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
i never shot the vectrix plus but i like my Katera. I also noticed out to 40 yards it is very good. I have shot out to 65 yards with mixed reviews, but i am not going to claim to be an ace shot so its probably a little of both but more likely its me!
Mine at 40 yards is very good but like i said I don't think hat is quite as good as thee Vectrix just going by the size of the groups that I am shooting. I have not shot it as much as I did my Vectrix so far and every time that I do shoot it (Katera) it seems to get better, more than likely it's just me!!!!!

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
There is a bit of difference in the feel. The 7" BH of the Vectrix Plus is the difference, and I felt the was was a bit deeper where the Katera was edgier with a bit of jump at the shot. The difference is small and each shooter will have his own opinion. I really thought the Vectrix XL was the best multi purpose bow on the market last year and the Katera was the next logical progression. 10' faster and lighter and a good cam system. The Vectrix Plus felt like it shot about 1/2" shorter than the Katera @ 28". Its great to work in the shop part time and shoot everything that comes in.

Best of luck and good shootin'.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My draw length is 29 inches and I shoot 70 pounds. Have not shot the Vectrix XL and my dealer said he could not get one. I always heard good things about both the Vectrix and Vectrix XL.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
The K + is a sleeper.

If you hafta have a short bow......it (Vectrix plus) is going to be a bit better than the Katera.....but you would have to REALLY be paying attention.

I bought a Katera XL.....it shipped at 77 pounds (arghhhh)......but it pushed a 405 grain arrow along at 300 fps @ 29 inches with a peep loop and leeches.....and a new set of firststrings (AWESOME strings).....I have new limbs coming.....cause that is just too much poundage and speed.
There were 4 guys in the shop when I shot it.....and all they could say was WOW.....that is really quiet.

I shot a Drenalin LD, and was about to jump ship......but the Hoyt is the one for me.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Katera

I had a Vectrix I sold (hated to see it go) to get a Katera. I can NOT tell a difference between the two as far as accuracy. I have it set at 55#s now and will max it out at 63#s when turkey season is over and I'm getting ready for antelope and elk. That is one reason I like this bow so much, 63#s and I'm ready for elk!!! Deceptively fast, quiet and easy to shoot and tune for broadheads.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I am going to shoot the Katera XL again. I am unsure about the 6" brace height on the Katera. I'm kind of a accuracy freak. Accuracy comes before speed for me. The Katera XL is about $100 more than the Vectrix Plus.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have a vectrix plus and I love it. I shot both the katera and vectrix plus and the vectrix plus just felt better to me. I love the Z3 cam and half. It is nice and smooth and fast. I am going to go chrono my bow here in a few weeks with a couple of different arrows and see what kind of speed I get.

·
Ad Meliora
18,183 Posts
If you need to buy a new bow at the shop, buy the Katera. If that doesn't matter, you can get a Vectrix or Vulcan for a great price here or on Ebay....I can't see paying new price for a Vectrix when you can get one as new for $450!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I think you should consider the Katera XL also, but between those two I would still want the Katera. This is just my opinion and I am by no means an expert.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts