Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, wondering what everyone is doing this year traveling to Vegas and other shoots via air. I've been packing both mine and my wife's bow into my Brownell case, with most of our gear and keeping it at about 50 lbs.

We've been charged the standard additonal bag fee ($15 last year) by Northwest. BUT, I just checked and any bag over 62" (combined dimensions) will be assessed an oversized bag charge. For the Brownell (73") the one way charge is $175!

I looked at packing them up and shipping UPS which is more reasonable, but even 3-day on UPS is $105.

I know many of you are lucky enough to have numerous airline options and may slide with lighter baggage fees, but here in the Minneapolis area we have few viable options beyond NWA.

I swear we'll soon be to the point where it will be cheaper to buy a freak'n seat for our gear to sit in next to us!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
One thing I'm gonna do is mark my bowcase fragile! Tired of getting them broke up every year by the airport gorillas!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ok, wondering what everyone is doing this year traveling to Vegas and other shoots via air. I've been packing both mine and my wife's bow into my Brownell case, with most of our gear and keeping it at about 50 lbs.

We've been charged the standard additonal bag fee ($15 last year) by Northwest. BUT, I just checked and any bag over 62" (combined dimensions) will be assessed an oversized bag charge. For the Brownell (73") the one way charge is $175!

I looked at packing them up and shipping UPS which is more reasonable, but even 3-day on UPS is $105.

I know many of you are lucky enough to have numerous airline options and may slide with lighter baggage fees, but here in the Minneapolis area we have few viable options beyond NWA.

I swear we'll soon be to the point where it will be cheaper to buy a freak'n seat for our gear to sit in next to us!
I bet that you are flying northwest right? I called last year and asked the nice lady how much it would cost to have my case brought with me, also very large, double skb and very long. She informed me it would be a charge of 175.00. So the next day I called and spoke with a manager and she informed me that archery cases are not in that restriction and it would be just 15.00 she gave me her name and number if someone tried to charge me something else. And you know what, the guy checking my luggage in weighed it, but never measured it. He asked what it was, I told him and he just checked it in. 15.00 was all it was. They have never charged me any extra at either airport, and I have had no problem. I am sure you will be fine and all you will have to pay is 15.00

Clint

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
You're probably right!:embara:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Same here, just $15 to get it there and back, but don't go over weight. I cost me an extra $50 to get it home from Vegas. I now fly Southwest, and due to the first 2 bags are free, I don't worry about going over weight, or oversized. I use an Aurora HD to keep my bow in. Plenty of room, and 2 bows if need be. I just pack the bow in a few layers of clothes.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback...I've never been charged more than $15 either the last 2 trips to Vegas, but...hope this year is more of the same!

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Delta always socks it to me with charges, or did anyways. Whether I was flying to hunt or to shoot, it was always at least $100 any way I tried to get around it. So, now I fly Air Tran from Atlanta to Vegas, and it cost me about $50. This year, I'll be flying with a SKB golf club case. They never ask me what is inside the case, and you can fit 3 bows and accesories into it. Problem solved. ;)

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
I use an SKB Golf Staff hard case. I can get two bows and quivers (among other things) in the case and it is rock solid. The airlines don't even look twice at the bag! The golf industry has a lot more pull and they don't get messed with...period!! No charge, no matter the bags weight! I bought one off of E-bay, brand new for $50. I'm sure if I would have had it shipped it would have cost another $50 but I was able pick it up! Even at $100, it is well worth the money!!:)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Thanks for the feedback...I've never been charged more than $15 either the last 2 trips to Vegas, but...hope this year is more of the same!
It should be that case, as this policy was put into place last year with Delta and Northwest went together in a merger. So that policy was in effect when we flew to Vegas last year and they never did check the measurements, which just like another person they asked if it was an archery case and that was it.

But trust me I was sweating bullets though over that too. And I even emailed the company and they said i would be charged that fee both ways too. But it never happened.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Check on the airlines web page. There is a section that describes charges. Most have allowances for archery and other sporting gear. AA allows bow cases as long as they don't go over wieght. But they also say only one bow per case. I don't think the people at check in really care. They just want to get done with their day.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Glad its only a short drive for me! Flying with a fancy target bow would have me sweating bullets. Might be best just to have it shipped ahead of time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts