Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called a friend of mine to tell him i was coming out to the shop to see his new VXL with Skulz camo limbs. He said "Go ahead and come see the bow that blew up in my face!". In disbelief i rushed to the shop and this is what i saw...

He said that he ordered the bow with 50# limbs and a 30 inch draw. He told me that the draw stop was bypassing the cable at full draw. The string went on the wrong side of the stop and got stuck there. His nephew went to push the string out so that the bow could be let down. And as soon as he barely touched the cable the cam broke and the string hit his finger. His finger is ok but is bruised.

Can someone shed some light on why the stop was not hitting the cable and was instead bypassing it? And what caused the mod to break?

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt for answers...

·
Registered
11,379 Posts
I called a friend of mine to tell him i was coming out to the shop to see his new VXL with Skulz camo limbs. He said "Go ahead and come see the bow that blew up in my face!". In disbelief i rushed to the shop and this is what i saw...

He said that he ordered the bow with 50# limbs and a 30 inch draw. He told me that the draw stop was bypassing the cable at full draw. The string went on the wrong side of the stop and got stuck there. His nephew went to push the string out so that the bow could be let down. And as soon as he barely touched the cable the cam broke and the string hit his finger. His finger is ok but is bruised.

Can someone shed some light on why the stop was not hitting the cable and was instead bypassing it? And what caused the mod to break?

Had a similar incident happen with a hoyt am 32. The bottom cam had such bad cam lean @ the time, the stop slipped by the cable... We did get it back into a press but i was sure a scary moment with a locked up bow.... The nephew has balls-o-steel to get his fingers down there while the bow was at full draw.:mg:

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had a similar incident happen with a hoyt am 32. The bottom cam had such bad cam lean @ the time, the stop slipped by the cable... We did get it back into a press but i was sure a scary moment with a locked up bow.... The nephew has balls-o-steel to get his fingers down there while the bow was at full draw.:mg:

I agree....:pukey:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to a PSE Vendetta XS Skull camo, there is some type of flaw in the cam. PSE sent me a new cam, put it on the bow and on the the 32nd shot it did the same thing. I sent it in to PSE and they seem to have fixed thus far as I put about 50 more shots through it. That bulb at the top of the cam seems to be weak. PSE seems to be doing all they can to fix the problem though.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I think there is more to it than just a "problem with the cam" as I have had more than 2 dozen of the XL and 10 or so of the XS in my hands and now in customer's hands and not one issue out of any of them...

·
SuperToon'd
11,532 Posts
interesting..................hope he gets it fixed........................:darkbeer:

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
was the draw stop definitely in the correct hole?
I stupidly had a similar event last weekend. I had asked a friend for my old mods that he had for an xforce 7. I picked them up for him and put them on my bow.
Set the draw stop to the 27" draw position and drew the bow back. Stupid me didn't look at the mods because I KNEW they were 27" draw. Well they were 29" and I blew right past the stop and the bow locked st full draw.
The limbs are so far bent now and no way to get my press to work. I called a friend and I removed the string and other cable. Now I drive over to his house with 1 cable holding the bow at full draw. We were able to rig a bow master along with some ratchet style tie down straps and use the cam to pull the limbs in even more to remove the other cable and proceed with a slow painfull process of completely relaxing the limbs.
Took it home and put it back together .

scary

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I think there is more to it than just a "problem with the cam" as I have had more than 2 dozen of the XL and 10 or so of the XS in my hands and now in customer's hands and not one issue out of any of them...
Seems to always be someone to try and cover up for a company:pukey:

i'd say the issue is smaller than one in a few dozen, so the likeliness of anyone experiencing this is probably very rare, but it's certainly not the only issue like this that has even been on AT with these bows. Maybe not a massive issue, but a small reoccurence for sure.

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bow was sent already set up for a 30 inch draw. The bow was not altered in any way from factory spec before the incident.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Wait a minute, its supposed to be Pull SHOOT then explode, not Pull explode, he got shorted big time.:D just kidding, glad no one got hurt bad.
:slice:

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
that sucks, sorry it happened to your new bow. This is the first I have seen but I guess it can happen. They will get you up and running quickly I assure you

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that sucks, sorry it happened to your new bow. This is the first I have seen but I guess it can happen. They will get you up and running quickly I assure you
Its not my bow but thanks! LOL

·
Registered
660 Posts
I was the first person to see the bow besides Mike. And yes, it was directly out of the box. The problem was only on the lower cam. My first thought was that there was probably some minor cam lean/limb twist going on but that wasn't the case. I'm afraid this bow is headed back to Arizona with no chance of ever coming back. Mike was looking forward to shooting this bow but he absolutely can't stand to deal with this type of factory problem. Last I talked to him yesterday, he had pulled an Axe6 off of the shelf and setting it up to shoot. Its a shame because it was a very nice looking bow.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
It is always operator error. When are you guys going to learn that you have to put these bows on draw boards and check everything out. Some of you think that you can just pull a bow back and shoot it. I am just kidding but it does seem like every time someone has a problem that the problem is blamed on operator error.

I feel sure that PSE will get things squared away. With all the intricate designs of cams and the cutouts, it seems to me that it could be very difficult to calculate the loads at all points along the cam to insure that the cam is strong enough for its use. I would not like to be responsible for determining if all the components in a bow were indeed strong enough to handle their operating parameters.

Good luck to all.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
when my wife's custom shop 50# axe cam in. i took it out of the box and looked it over. everything looked good so i pulled it back. guess what!! they never tightened the top mod screws talk about a pucker. sounds like maybe something was not in the correct place or was not tight. but who nows. i have one of the first vendetta xl bows that were shipped and shooting at 61# at 31'' draw no problem here except the buss cable serving wear but solved that by moving the cable rod a little

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
Time to look over my vxl but man I still think it's one of the best bows made

·
Im a Father and Bowhunter
6,004 Posts
Im glad every one is ok,im sure PSE will take care of you.It can happen to any one, Weak metal,flaws in material,i have seen it happen in tools and parts for vehicals so archery is no different...stuff happens just glad he and the nephew are ok..

1 - 20 of 56 Posts