Archery Talk Forum banner

Vendetta XL vs AXE 6

2238 17
Which one for a do it all bow?

30 inch draw 60-70 pounds?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5,907 Posts
That is a tough question! I have both. I have my Vendetta XL set up for hunting at 54lbs draw and am getting 290 FPS with a 291 grain arrow which is plenty fast enough and has more than adequate KE for whitetails out to 40 yards. I like the lower poundage for cold weather shooting here in Wisconsin. I have my Axe6 setup for 3-D. The poundage is set at 60lbs and flings a 291 grain victory X-Ringer HV at 326 FPS! I have a peep with verifier, kisser button and loop on the string so I don't have to worry about being under the 5 GPP rule for arrow weight. The reason why I use the Vendetta XL for hunting is because even though the Axe6 is very smooth drawing back, the VXL is smoother yet. I guess if you could only have one bow of the two, I would go with the Axe6, then you have the option of speed for 3-D, and you could always lower the weight for hunting in cold weather, but I see your from Alabama, so cold weather probably won't be an issue for you. Oh, one more thing...the Vendetta XL is 2.5 inches longer in Axle to Axle length, so you may have a steadier hold with it if utmost accuracy is your goal. What would be cool is if PSE came out with an Axe 6 XL at 35 to 36 inches in A2A, "THAT" would be the perfect bow in my opinion!

· Registered
18,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I was hoping that they would come out with a 345 IBO longer ATA but they didn't it doesn't look like. I am moving here soon to some other part of the States as the Army dictates so I am or very well could get in the cold weather areas. I have a 30 inch draw and was looking at shooting a 430 grain arrow for everything so I am lost right now, I have shot pretty much all of the top line 2010 bows and will be going with a 2009 or 2010 I just don't know what yet.

· Breathn
13,012 Posts
the vendetta xl will do 338IBo with good strings and tune..I have seen axe6 do 350ibo and better..both shoot great..really depends on what your looking for..with 30in draw I think you may like the string angle on the XL better..

· Registered
8,489 Posts
The Vendetta XL will do anything you want- I am hunting with an Axe 7 only because I already had it set up for hunting when I got my Vendetta XL. If I had got my Vendetta XL before my Axe 7 I would probably be hunting with it.

· 300 or bust
13,148 Posts
The Vendetta XL will do anything you want- I am hunting with an Axe 7 only because I already had it set up for hunting when I got my Vendetta XL. If I had got my Vendetta XL before my Axe 7 I would probably be hunting with it.
hows my VXL doing, man i still feel alittle taken :(

· Registered
18,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to mess with them both next weekend when the dealer gets them both side by side and will make my choice then

· Registered
728 Posts
Yes I was hoping that they would come out with a 345 IBO longer ATA but they didn't it doesn't look like. I am moving here soon to some other part of the States as the Army dictates so I am or very well could get in the cold weather areas. I have a 30 inch draw and was looking at shooting a 430 grain arrow for everything so I am lost right now, I have shot pretty much all of the top line 2010 bows and will be going with a 2009 or 2010 I just don't know what yet.
What about the 2011 BowMadness XL with the new cam? They IBO 342 & supposed to be alot smoother draw than the 2010 models & they are 36ATA

· Registered
23,637 Posts
I have had both - I chose the VXL to hunt with - and wish I still had the Axe 6...

VXL is a GREAT do it all bow...but that Axe...man it is perfect.

· Registered
728 Posts
After reading all this & seeing what John had to say...I went down to the Archery shop & purchased his last 2010 PSE VendettaXL (well I paid over half down & will pick it up in a couple of weeks) Mine has 70# limbs...I said I wouldn't own another 70# bow but to be honest when I drew it back it was Sooooo smooth, no wild hump to fight with, just one smooth stroke ! He maxed the limbs out & then backed them off 1 full turn, we put it on the scales - 71# ! Now I need a ModLock & A set of Johns Sweet strings I here so much about & I'll be ready !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.