Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
meat loaf is one of those things that just doesn't have a recipe, just sort of toss stuff in as I see fit at the moment! Things I do usually add: ketchup, cheese, random spices, bar-b-q sauce.

One thing I've done with venison is add some mashed potatoe flakes, the kind you add to boiling water to make, tends to help it stick together better, but then again I don't put anything in my ground venison other than venison.

·
Born yank raised south
16,753 Posts
We use 2lbs of venison and add 2 table spoon of Worcestershire and then Italian bread crumbs along with 2 eggs and finely chopped onions and bell peppers. It is mixed very well and then my wife then spoons the meat into muffin pans and bakes it that way. Makes little meat loaf balls that are great for 1 serving per person.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Need a recipe for venison meet loaf?
Anybody have one?

Thanks,

PSE EVO 61 lbs.
Blacked out
Yep and I have turned those who dont like venision or meatloafs minds about it.
1lb ground venision
1pkg jimmy dean sausage original or sage (I prefer sage)
2 eggs
a few squirts of liquid smoke either flavor
garlic powder
onion powder or use natures seasons (it's what I usually use)
mix put in 9x9 pancut potato's into wedges place around loaf
spread sweet baby ray's original BBQ suace over top and bake at 375 until done
I promise you there will be no leftovers, I never do whether or not I serve 3 04 more people. Hope this helps and enjoy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
We use 2lbs of venison and add 2 table spoon of Worcestershire and then Italian bread crumbs along with 2 eggs and finely chopped onions and bell peppers. It is mixed very well and then my wife then spoons the meat into muffin pans and bakes it that way. Makes little meat loaf balls that are great for 1 serving per person.
This sounds good going to try this. I've made ML using 1# venison and 1# breakfast sausage with eggs and onions added and had no complaints.

·
Registered
557 Posts
My wife bought me a taste of home Hunting and Fishing cookbook for christmas this year and there are tons of recipies in it. Here is a meat loaf recipie that is in this book.

2 eggs, 1 (8oz.) can tomato sauce, 1 medium onion finely chopped, 1 cup dried bread crumbs, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, 1 1/2 lbs ground venison, 2 tbsp. brown sugar, 2 tbsp. spicy brown mustard, and 2 tbsp white vinegar. Bake uncovered at 350 for 70 min or until meat therm reads 160.

There are 408 recipies in this book including venison, fish, small game, and upland game birds and waterfoul

·
Registered
546 Posts
1 lb meat
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper (optional)
1 egg
Quick Oats (about 1-2 handfulls)
Ketchup (1 big squirt)
Salt/Pepper/Garlic

This is the basis for mine....I will add liquid smoke, paprika, chili powder, etc if I want a little extra to it

·
Registered
546 Posts
My wife bought me a taste of home Hunting and Fishing cookbook for christmas this year and there are tons of recipies in it. Here is a meat loaf recipie that is in this book.

2 eggs, 1 (8oz.) can tomato sauce, 1 medium onion finely chopped, 1 cup dried bread crumbs, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, 1 1/2 lbs ground venison, 2 tbsp. brown sugar, 2 tbsp. spicy brown mustard, and 2 tbsp white vinegar. Bake uncovered at 350 for 70 min or until meat therm reads 160.

There are 408 recipies in this book including venison, fish, small game, and upland game birds and waterfoul
Have you had this yet? I am curious as to how it takes with the mustard and vinegar as that is not "standard"in meat loaf.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Mine is pretty basic

2lbs of ground venison
1 8oz can of tomato soup
1 egg
Couple big squirts of ketchup
Shredded cheddar chz
Shredded Moz chz
Crushed Zesta saltines
Mix and bake until almost black on the outside

Meat

·
Registered
3 Posts
VENISON MEATLOAF
1 lb ground venison
1 cup (1 sleeve) of crushed saltine crackers
¼ cup milk
2 eggs
2 tsp seasoned salt
¼ cup ketchup
2 Tblsp mustard
1 Tblsp dried minced onion
1/8 tsp pepper
2 Tblsp brown sugar
2 Tblsp white vinegar

Mix all ingredients, shape into loaf and bake at 350 degrees F for one hour
Serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite veggie and enjoy!
P.S. Yes- I have tried this and it is the ONLY meatloaf I actually like and will ever make :)

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I usually make a combo meat loaf...
1# venison
1# beef
1 egg
italian bread crumbs until you get the consistancy you want
3 or 4 strips of bacon on top
cook uncovered for about an hour at 350

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I must say what really makes it taste good is instead of using Bread Crumbs or Ritz Crackers try using BBQ flavors pork rines. Man does that taste good!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Have you had this yet? I am curious as to how it takes with the mustard and vinegar as that is not "standard"in meat loaf.
yes I have and my kids love it. They normally don't like ground venison. This was the first meat loaf recipie I ever made myself and I like it better than the way my mom used to make it. I'm not sure what she used but this was much better.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
yeah, not so much in Meatloaf, but a staple in sloppy joes.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
I must say what really makes it taste good is instead of using Bread Crumbs or Ritz Crackers try using BBQ flavors pork rines. Man does that taste good!
there is an idea I never thought of!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts