Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Just thwackin' it.
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot the Ventum 30 today. And I will warn you up front. I am a little biased against Hoyt because I feel like they've been making the same bow for the past 5 or 6 years and just make it look different and put a different name on the limbs. So I went in expecting more of the same. But then again, I will pick apart the defects with any manufacturer on the shelf, I don't care. It's my CDO (that's OCD in alphabetical order).

The first thing that stood out, I thought the 'lil butt plug looking like stabilizer and the shape of the riser near the stab bushing was a complete knock off of how Mathews has their setup on their short bows. It's great functionally for your Average Joe bowhunter, but honestly I have no interest. If I got one, I'd take that little thing off and put a real bar on there immediately. Then again, I wouldn't be buying a 30" ATA bow in the first place.

The camo finish was more of the same unfortunately. The dip was off in parts, and really thin looking in the cutouts of the riser. It looks like it would wear off easily. After years and years of complaints about their dip finish, I was hoping for better... oh well.

The cam system looks like a blend of a few different things I've seen from different bows. The 80/85% top adjustment... look like they took notes from PSE's Evolve cam, not a bad thing. But I don't understand why they didn't go to 1/4" axles, and someone brought up that they were going to implement a Top Hat-esque shim system... no, 3/16" axles and regular ol' plastic shims. Not necessarily bad. My concern when I initially saw the videos and photos was how much cable clearance did they manage to get from the left and right tracks on the 3 track binary. This area, they did a good job. They engineered enough width to the cams where the cables will not rub at all. I am actually kinda a fan of the simplicity. I don't need some fancy Deadlock or S.E.T. system to fine tune normally... but with this premium price tag and what the competition has in their lineup, I expected better. I really like the fact that there's no floating yoke or cable splitter to make the system complicated. Cam lean was not present on the top or bottom cam at all... which may not be a good thing, because most bows I tune have a little bit of prelean. I didn't check cam lean at full draw.

I saw one video somewhere that said that there would be multiple modules on the same cam system to maximize efficiency on different draw lengths. I need to do more research here. The bow I had went from 25-30" on the included module. Not sure what they meant by this. As a dealer, I was expecting to have to order a second or third mod... not that I'm complaining, I would have because this isn't a huge cost increase... two or three mods per cam (for both left and right handed too) is definitely cheaper than stocking mods per each 1/2" of draw length, let-off%... and even in Mathews case, draw weight.

I don't get the picatinny rail mount bow sight. I actually had to go dig around to figure out what the two threaded holes on the front of the bow were for because the one I handled didn't even have the pic rail mounted out of the box... I'm kinda confused as to why they couldn't include that lil cheap piece? I do get why it's there, as well as the rest mount that came out previously... they made the risers so ridiculously thick that many of the current rests and sights run out of windage real easily. But I don't see the industry jumping on this bandwagon drastically anytime soon... maybe over the next decade we will see this shift since PSE has also joined in on the dovetail rest mount this year.

Upon first inspection, when bumping the limb pockets, I felt an odd vibe coming from the bow. As if it was resting in jello. Like a slow wobble. I had a concern that it would feel like a tuning fork upon shooting...

...and I was wrong. The draw cycle, to me, was definitely Mathews-esque. It stacks early and stacks long... enough to where you can tell it's definitely a 70# bow (unlike Elite or PSE to me), but this is not a bad thing. I thought the transition to the valley was nice and gradual, no hard dump at all. The valley was comfortable and the bow did not want to rip forward when you relaxed or when you let down. The back wall is pretty solid for cable stops, with a slight bit of give. Again, there's something nice about the simplicity of this cam system, but again, I expected more... maybe some limb stop options or something? I dunno. With premium price tags these days, customers expect premium features.

The vibes on the shot were not bad at all, not for a 30" ATA bow. Balance is well with no equipment, as with most Hoyts, mainly due to the bridged riser and how it offsets weight towards the shooter. Although with the sheer thickness of the new risers, I don't understand why they still carry the bridge design unless it is about the balance, because the thickness to me screams over-engineered. However, it's no Mathews as far as vibes go. But to me, this is one of the absolute last things that I look at in a bow, because once it's got a full kit on it, IMO the vibes don't mean jack on a bare bow.

Take my tid bits for what they are worth. Is it a good bow? Absolutely, if you want a short ATA, quick hunting bow, with a wide stance riser. It's not my cup of tea personally. I am interested in giving the 33 a good test run soon.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts