Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

So I recently became quite interested in the ideas of Instinctive Archery. I have only fired a 'rented' bow a hand full of times, but with my level of enjoyment I bit the bullet and bought myself my very first Recurve Bow. A Martin Saber Take Down http://www.martinarchery.com/2012/sabertd.php It looks beautiful, and has great reviews. As for my questions they are;

I have measured my my draw distance, and it is between 30-31 Inches. Is a 64 Inch Recurve going to be alright at that distance?

Having not much experience, and after doing quite a bit of research I was a little baffled and confused at a good draw weight to start with. To be honest I never asked what the weight was with the rental either. Well, After reading I was concerned about 'over bowing' (I think that is what that is) and thought I should take care to focus on form. So I purchased this bow with a 35 lbs draw. I am wondering, as I am quite a strong guy, will this be okay for indoor target shooting, and working on form and technique? Or will this weight be too low?

I probably should have asked these questions before I made the purchase, but I must admit I was quite excited and roaring to go.

Thanks very kindly,

Korey

PS. If there are any tips someone could give a newcomer to archery I would be extremely welcoming. After so many years of being hobbyless I think I have found something I can enjoy and grow with.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
A friend of mine draws an honest 30" and shoots 64" recurves quite comfortably, so you'll probably be ok. As for the weight....most production bows are rated at a 28" draw, so a 35#@28" bow being drawn to 30" will result in about a 6# +/- gain on draw weight. If the bow stacks after 28", you can pick up considerably more weight in the last inch or two of draw. Best thing is to scale the bow at your draw and see what the draw weight is, then you can get the properly spined arrows for it

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Welcome to archery!! It is a great sport. If you have strong will, you can manage to enjoy it without breaking the bank!:) But it can get addictive....Oh well...there are worse addictions.
In any case, do yourself a favor and buy Anthony Camera's book Shooting the StickBow http://www.shootingthestickbow.com.
There is everything in there you need to know and start properly plus lots more.

First and foremost do not buy arrows before you consult a knowledgeable pro shop to help you with proper spine. Getting an experienced coach is also a great idea to start.
Keeping searching and reading and asking questions here at AT. Try the traditional or FITA/olympic forum for recurve experts.
enjoy!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I put Samick Journey limbs on my Samick sage to make it a 64" bow. My DL is 31" so my 50# limbs make it a 59# bow according to my scale. No issues with stacking either, you should be fine with your length of bow. I don't know much about the Martin Saber but with my Samick I started out with lower weight limbs to get my form down, then traded them in for heavier limbs. Welcome to archery.

·
(aka lug nut)
47,416 Posts
Hi there,

So I recently became quite interested in the ideas of Instinctive Archery. I have only fired a 'rented' bow a hand full of times, but with my level of enjoyment I bit the bullet and bought myself my very first Recurve Bow. A Martin Saber Take Down http://www.martinarchery.com/2012/sabertd.php It looks beautiful, and has great reviews. As for my questions they are;

I have measured my my draw distance, and it is between 30-31 Inches. Is a 64 Inch Recurve going to be alright at that distance?

Having not much experience, and after doing quite a bit of research I was a little baffled and confused at a good draw weight to start with. To be honest I never asked what the weight was with the rental either. Well, After reading I was concerned about 'over bowing' (I think that is what that is) and thought I should take care to focus on form. So I purchased this bow with a 35 lbs draw. I am wondering, as I am quite a strong guy, will this be okay for indoor target shooting, and working on form and technique? Or will this weight be too low?

I probably should have asked these questions before I made the purchase, but I must admit I was quite excited and roaring to go.

Thanks very kindly,

Korey

PS. If there are any tips someone could give a newcomer to archery I would be extremely welcoming. After so many years of being hobbyless I think I have found something I can enjoy and grow with.
Shoot three fingers under the nock,
and you will be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone so much. 1 day on this forum has been so much more helpful then Countless hours scouring the internet for information. Thanks again to everyone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When working on form and technique, a low draw weight is the best way to go. A lighter draw weight usually magnifies issues with form and technique down range. 35#-45# should be a good starting weight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts