Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I have a question about specifically, Mission and my "ordered" MXB360. I traded for one yesterday and the dealer is ordering for me.
This is my first crossbow and first post here so please bear with me if my question sounds stupid.

Question is: I'm buying an MXB 360 and I expect the bow to deliver an arrow to my target at 360 fps or very close to that. Are these crossbows "true" to their advertised speeds (with stock arrows)?
I have seen, in scanning different posts on different websites like this that there seems to be discussions relating to "accuracy" that you should go with a heavier than stock arrow to get good accuracy.
If my bow (when it arrives) shoots three factory arrows into a bullseye at 20 yards, should that not be acceptable? By into a bullseye I mean arrows touching or almost touching each other.
Do I automatically need to buy custom arrows and "lose" 10-15 feet per second in the name of something better or more accurate? (if that's even possible?)

Sorry if I'm not making myself clear...but I guess I'm asking "can my stock setup be a good, fast, accurate setup?"

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and experience in answering!

Hillcountry

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
The 360 is very capable of same hole accuracy when rested. Don't try to shoot groups because the result will be broken or damaged arrows.

The 360 speed was quoted using 400 grain arrows. For every 3 gr of additional weight the rule of thumb is you will lose 1 fps. What you'll find is that most crossbow companies use a very light arrow to achieve the posted speed of their bows. Mission in using the 400gr arrow is at least being honest in using a hunting weight arrow.

The quality of the arrows you shoot will have the biggest impact on accuracy. Many of us use Black Eagle Executioner arrows. Mine weigh 428 grains using a 92 grain insert ant 100 gr point. The BEE arrows seem to be more consistant than the Mission arrows unless you buy the matched the matched sets they sell that are pretty pricey.

There is a ton of info in old threads here do some reading and you can learn a bunch about your new bow. Good luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. There is going to be a lot of searching going on...I appreciate your comments and look forward to my new 360!

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
I'm using the same arrows that Buckstop mentioned, the 428 gr BEEs, in my 360 with great accuracy. That said, it's my understanding that Mission has upgraded its stock arrows, so I'd at least give them a try if max speed is issue. The other option is using an aluminum insert in the 22" BEEs, and a 125 gr tip. Such and arrow would weigh around 392 give or take, depending on size of vanes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm using the same arrows that Buckstop mentioned, the 428 gr BEEs, in my 360 with great accuracy. That said, it's my understanding that Mission has upgraded its stock arrows, so I'd at least give them a try if max speed is issue. The other option is using an aluminum insert in the 22" BEEs, and a 125 gr tip. Such and arrow would weigh around 392 give or take, depending on size of vanes.
Thanks for the input! Never considered there was so much involved in arrow weights...Every bow I ever shot just used arrows off the shelf...lol
A lot to think about!

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
You can still do that, however, you introduced two most important variables: speed and accuracy. That drastically changes the "arrows of the shelf" paradigm. Crossbows are a bit more 'selective' re what really works best in them. Such things as arrow spine and Forward of Center ration (FOC), etc determine how the arrow will fly; esp from a relatively fast bow like the 360. There is a lot of info re arrows on this and related sites. Suggest you look into it... if you want to maximize the accuracy/speed potential of your MXB 360

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can still do that, however, you introduced two most important variables: speed and accuracy. That drastically changes the "arrows of the shelf" paradigm. Crossbows are a bit more 'selective' re what really works best in them. Such things as arrow spine and Forward of Center ration (FOC), etc determine how the arrow will fly; esp from a relatively fast bow like the 360. There is a lot of info re arrows on this and related sites. Suggest you look into it... if you want to maximize the accuracy/speed potential of your MXB 360
Thank you...lots to think about!

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
You will be amazed by the accuracy! Put a bubble level on your mxb
For when you're target shooting. Bow has to be canted pretty noticeably to miss a baseball sized target at 30 yards. When hunting, I'm busy ranging, looking at the sweet spot and shooting. Bubbles then are one more thing than my brain can handle. I will admit, however, that all my shots on game were within 37 yards...so far. I intend to keep it that way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woohoo...the dealer called and said my MXB 360 came in and it's all set to go. Going to run down there on Sunday morning and fetch it...can't wait to fire it.
In the meantime I acquired a 2nd crossbow. Ended up trading for a 2016 Excalibur Micro 355...that thing is very nice. Now I'll have a choice when I go out or just as a backup.
I notice that many members also have multiple crossbows...I'll start with 2 and see where it goes from here.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well Hillcountry, sounds like you have been bitten by the bug! Great hobby and a way to get rid of any cash laying around. ;)
Congrats on your new bows!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well Hillcountry, sounds like you have been bitten by the bug! Great hobby and a way to get rid of any cash laying around. ;)
Congrats on your new bows!
You can say that again! Now the cash really disappears when he accessories start flowing...:tongue:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts