Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a photo of Lenord Lambert's recent pronghorn kill. Nice!! Leon says he measures 80 6/8.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Congrats Lenord! That is a dandy buck for sure. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Should I ... know Lenord? :wink: What are the details and story behind this hunt? He didn't hit it with his car did he? :tongue: How about a little journalistic flair here??? We're dying for some hunting stories. Nice animal by the way. Someday I'd like to take one.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Should I ... know Lenord? :wink: What are the details and story behind this hunt? He didn't hit it with his car did he? :tongue: How about a little journalistic flair here??? We're dying for some hunting stories. Nice animal by the way. Someday I'd like to take one.
LOL!!! Yeah, let's have some details.

·
Registered
58 Posts
First year to hunt with a crossbow so couldn't wait to take my SZ380 for a test drive in the field. Hunting a place which is extremely difficult...one Pronghorn in the previous 6 years. The area is 3 miles square and has 20 water holes in a good year and zero water in a bad year. This is a bad year. Arrived to hunt the morning of August 18th and found only one water hole which was nearly dry which meant that the animals would be going on adjoining properties for water. To make matters worse I only saw 3 potential shooter bucks on the 4200 acres. Put up a chair blind on the only water hole and Thursday afternoon had a total of 4 bucks and 7 does come in for water. Two of the bucks were nice but since it was the first day of season and archery season lasts for about a month I decided to wait. Sit in my blind on Friday from 5:30 am until 7:30 pm and only had one small buck come in for water. Figured the water hole would be dry the next morning so got out of my blind and took a hike to a pond that was dry but I had seen this nice buck eating grass there two days in a row and he was back again. Waited until dark and put my blind up for next day hunt. Sit next day from 30 minutes before day light until 6:15 that evening and saw not a thing then here comes a doe with the buck following close behind. They went past me at about 100 away and stopped to feed at about 150 yards past me. I sit and watched them feed for an hour until the doe finally fed past me so I put my Bushnell range finder on her...45 yards. The buck continued to feed my way but the shooting window is pretty small on a chair blind. I even considered taking a shot left handed at one point...be patient Leon and don't mess is up...this is the only chance you will get. Finally he was almost in my shooting lane and I was ready but what did the buck do but lift his head and took off in a fast walk to catch up to the doe who by now was a good 30 yards past. I got my sight pin on him as he walked past and squeezed off the shot. Explosion! almost as quickly as I heard the x-bow release the bolt I saw dust fly up 10 yards past the buck. Let me tell you that SZ380 is quick. The two Pronghorns left the area in a cloud of dust and I'm sitting in my blind thinking to myself, did I miss him? About the same time the buck took a tumble...game over! My best Pronghorn with a bow at that point was 73 and I had guessed him about the same size so I was shocked when I walked up to him and saw what a nice buck he was. I think this 70 year old guy is going to like crossbow hunting just fine! Hope you like the story Iron Duke.

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Leon, you're the man! I'm going out to the shop now and start getting my hunting stuff together!!!:thumbs_up:happy:

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Now that's ... baseball the way it oughta be played! Nice post from the "New Guy" Lenord! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up Thanks ... and welcome!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just a note for any of you guys and gals who would like to hunt Pronghorns. To start with they are a beautiful animal that can run 60 miles per hour and have 10x vision. A large buck will weigh around 125 pounds while a doe will go around 80 pounds. They live in open country and rely on sight and speed for safety. They can be hunted a number of ways stalk, decoy or from a blind. Sitting on a water hole is a very popular way to hunt and is very productive. Seasons in Colorado for archery begin on August 15th but you have to have special approval from the DOW to use a crossbow. Wyoming has excellent numbers of Pronghorns and a lot of public land. You can check but I believe they also allow the use of crossbows in archery season. There are a number of states that have Pronghorns but the largest ones seem to come from Arizona and New Mexico.

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone. Leon

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Leon, congrats on your tropy. I've flown over your part of the country many times and I always wanted to put my feet on the ground there but it never worked out that way. Beautiful part of the world!!:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Leonard,
congratulations on the pronghorn! Thanks for the hunting story, sounds like fun, good to hear. I am looking forward to Oct 1, my first day taking the crossbow into the woods.

HH

·
Registered
58 Posts
One thing for sure I think we are all pumped up anticipating this years hunting season no matter what we are after. I know I am really looking forward to October and Whitetail deer. Some times the hunt goes to plan and other times not so good. Still say some of my best hunting memories are of the ones that got away. Good hunting to all.

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Leon, funny that you mentioned the ones that got away:) 14 years ago,during the 2 week muzzle loader season, I shot a very nice 8 point buck one morning with the muzzle loader. Being a bowhunter at heart, I immediately went back to bowhunting, shooting an Owen Jeffery 74 lb long bow. I had walked around this pond a few weeks before and there were some really big tracks across the dam and around both sides of the pond and the tracks were going both ways. I asked my hunting buddy if he wanted to go with me to hunt Jimmy's Branch (as the pond was known) that evening. He declined so about 2:30 that afternoon I was tip toeing around the edge of the pond with my climber on my back (isn't youth wonderful? :) and my old trusty long bow in my hand. I started dropping some Ben Lee Dominant Buck lure out around the pond as I went around to the back side and slightly up a small woods road close to the reeds and went up a pine tree where I could see down to the edge of the pond. A slight SW breeze was blowing perfectly for the hunt.

About 5:30 I heard something coming out of the reeds. Out walked Bullwinkle! He was and is still the largest racked buck I've ever seen in my neck of the woods. His antlers had to measure 24" across and I could plainly see he was a 10 pointer. He slowly walked past the point where I had turned and came up the hill. He took a couple steps, put his nose into the Ben Lee stuff, turned around and started up the hill towards me. I had already lifted my longbow off the hook and could feel my knees getting weak:) He would stop and smell the buck lure, look around and take a few more stops towards me which seemed to go on forever!!! I had started smiling, saying to myself "I know I'm going to screw this chance of a lifetime up"......and I did. I had always had a snap shooting problem when shooting my fingers so I had a broadhead clicker on my long bow. I don't think I ever reached the point where the clicker went off. To be honest about it, that big rack sticking way out past his sides scared the hell out of me to the point that there was no way I was going to be able to do what I needed to do to put that Simmons Shark broadhead through his chest. He was about about 25 yards and truned broadside in the path with his nose on the ground. I drew the long bow, line the broadhead up as best I could with my eyes crossed with flashing stars dancing all around!! The arrow must have touched the top of his shoulder as it went by him. He jumped out of the path into some thick struff and slowly walked away. I'll never forget the size of that monster as long as I live. As far as I know, he was not killed by anyone even during gun season becuase if he had, it would have been known around here. For me, it was a hunt of a lifetime. My hunting buddy asked "don't you wished you had taken your muzzle loader?" I never even thought about the muzzleloader and the answer was "no".

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Leon, congrats on your tropy. I've flown over your part of the country many times and I always wanted to put my feet on the ground there but it never worked out that way. Beautiful part of the world!!:)
if you ever decide to tour colorado let me be your travel guide. i use to live in ariz and i have driven thru colorado around 10 times. it's one big postcard. i've been thru the rocky mountain national park 3 or 4 times and the drive to telluride and then down to the 4 corners area is world class. i have even done that one in the winter and it was spectacular. make damn sure you get out of the rmnp before dark and if there is any chance of fog don't go in there. there are no guard rails and if you drive off the road you will have time to say the Lord's Prayer before you hit bottom. i almost died in there on my first tour. last november i stopped in at the 4 corners monument for the second time, mostly because i needed to use the bathroom. the navaho indians run the place because it's on there reservation i believe. the driveway is dirt and you almost need a pick up to navigate it. naturally i had to stand on the big pin that means your standing in 4 states at once. as i was leaving i stopped to read this big marker that a surveyors society put up. to make a long story short the marker said the actual state line for 2 of the states was a mile and a half away. and the state line for the other 2 states is off by a couple hundred feet. in the early 1900's legislation was introduced in congress to find where the actual state line was for 2 of the states and they decided it wasn't worth spending the money. it wouldn't suprise me if they could find the exact spot where the 4 states meet using satellites but even if they did there is no way in hell the navahos are paying for a driveway that would have to be 1.5 miles long. they ain't taking care of the one they got now. does anyone know where the actual spot is where the 4 states meet. Hell no!! the greatest country on Earth can't afford it. there ain't nothing out there but brown grass and the horizon so i don't think a circle K is going up on the real 4 corners any time soon. i laughed my ass off when i left. true story!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts