Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody on here shot these arrows? Need some reviews before deciding between these and the Easton Carbon 1's. (For a 35 pound one piece Fiberglass/Wood recurve) The Elites are .001 and the C1's are .003..............

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I’ve found the VAPs to be straighter, even in the V6 compared to carbon ones. A little lighter also. I used the Tophat pts and f-nocks and won a lot of shoots last year. I have some 500,600,700 & 900 on hand if that tells you anything.

·
Remember.. Archery is fun
3,323 Posts
I agree with arrow.
Very nice arrows.
I run Top Hat and pin nocks.
They tend to run a little stiff.

Nick

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
VAP’s run stiffer than the tune charts show.

If you pro cut the Carbon Ones (front and back, then square them using a squaring tool), you will get them pretty decent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Phoenix, AZ
2,019 Posts
I've used them for awhile now. My only complaint is that you have to go with Top Hat or Victory's points. Personally I don't like the longer point profile. I shave down Easton A/C/E points which are slightly bigger than the VAP points.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
Has anybody on here shot these arrows? Need some reviews before deciding between these and the Easton Carbon 1's. (For a 35 pound one piece Fiberglass/Wood recurve) The Elites are .001 and the C1's are .003..............
They run about 1/2 spine stiff and they work better with spin vanes

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
They are great shafts, but I have to agree with Bob Furman. The vaps are most likely straighter but the points will bend easily if you hit anything hard. If this happens you will have different lengths for the clicker which will obviously cause problems. Also, the spine on vaps should be less consistant around the shaft (hence "spine aligned") due to the manufacturing method. This means that they should have worse spine tolerances than the Easton's, but you can get them close with perfectly aligned nocks.

Bottom line, it doesn't really matter, I know tons of people who great experiences with both. Get which ever one feels/looks/prices the best.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I don't shoot the target arrows but i have made the switch to vap V1 elite and tko elite hunting arrows and am very pleased with them. They are tough, very straight, very thin and just last.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used carbon one 660, vap V1 700 and 600. Vaps are easy to tune. 700 with 90 great or 600 with 140 grains tuned for the same setup. Points easily bend compared to a/c/e points very poor quality. However, the first dozen of 700s didn't group well. The second dozen and 600s were very good at 70m or 90m. I also tried 80 to 140 gr with 700 and 600, but the added weight is way on the back and doesn't change tuning or FOC much. A/c/e points are also better in that sense. Carbon ones didn't work as well for me at any distance. I don't even use them now.

·
Is that a cookie?
4,834 Posts
VAP1 are excellent shafts. I shoot ACE 620 outdoors and for VAP indoors the 700 tune well. If you use Top Hat points the shaft will tune stiffer than VAP points due to the extra long shank on the Top Hats. I perfer not to use them for that reason. I also have drawn blood with the needle sharp tips and now file the tip down.

I believe these are Top Hat - long shank!

VAP arrow tips 003.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They run about 1/2 spine stiff and they work better with spin vanes

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Lancaster recommended the 600 spine for my 35 pound one piece recurve bare bow AND my SF Forged Plus with 36 pound SF Carbon Elite limbs.

I'm considering Sitar & Sitar Spider Vanes or XS Spin Wings with Beiter out knocks.

What do yall think?...............

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Lancaster recommended the 600 spine for my 35 pound one piece recurve bare bow AND my SF Forged Plus with 36 pound SF Carbon Elite limbs.

I'm considering Sitar & Sitar Spider Vanes or XS Spin Wings with Beiter out knocks.

I'm shooting spiders and xs split between a dozen arrows I shoot at 30m. Grouping is similar. The spiders are more durable but only slightly. Haven't had a chance to shoot them at 50 and 70 yet.

·
Phoenix, AZ
2,019 Posts

Please start a new thread on this. You will get a better response.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I've shot both C1 and the Vaps, both good arrows, the Vaps are lighter and better component fit.

Last year I switched to the 3DHV, these shoot better than the V1's for me, Victory don't have pin bushing but someone told me the Gold Tip bushing works which the do.

I saw a lot of people using Vaps at WA3D worlds in France, myself and Swedish guy took 3rd & 2nd in Barebow using 3DHV's (1st ACE's) so I rate them comparable to ACE's in performance for less money.

·
3,323 Posts
How can you bend a stainless steel point besides hitting something solid like a rock?
And that would probably just dull it.

·
Phoenix, AZ
2,019 Posts
How can you bend a stainless steel point besides hitting something solid like a rock?
And that would probably just dull it.
From what I've seen the points have a longer profile, made of a cheaper alloy and hitting other arrows? Hitting the ground on a missed shot? Hitting a metal part on a target stand?

·
3,323 Posts
Will have to take a look at mine.
The Victory points are Top Hat.
But I suppose would be kind of hard to break off stainless. :)

·
3,323 Posts
Info from website

+ TopHat® SL Convex Point

- designed for target competition with an elongated bullet
shaped point. The sharp tip ensures a straight entry into
the target and prevents glance-outs in crowded targets.
- machined from stainless steel to a special profile that fits a
large selection of shafts with an inside diameter of .166"
(ACE, Carbon One, VAP etc.)
- weight adjustable with two break-off sections
- a High Precision Product, made in Germany

- available sizes:
Type I: (fits shafts with O.D. of up to .218")
60 - 70 - 80 gr. 90 - 100 - 110 gr. 120 - 130 - 140 gr.

Type II: (fits shafts with O.D. of .219" and up)
60 - 70 - 80 gr. 90 - 100 - 110 gr. 120 - 130 - 140 gr.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts