Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having trouble keeping the stainless steel inserts in the arrows? I have always used two part epoxy without any issues in the past but I have had three pull out in pretty short order.

Thanks for insight..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Are you using a bag target? If so, they are a major challenge when removing VAP's. I've pulled several loose. The increasing diameter of the insert when removing the arrow is the problem. This and a new bag target will give you a good back work-out! Went to a layered target - problem solved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
No issues here but I used supper glue (whatever GT sells for insert glue). Not a one has pulled out, and I’ve stuck them in wood and such on bad shots. I just did a dozen using hot melt but have hardly shot them so can’t attest to its durability w the Shok insert.

Perhaps you have a bad or old batch of epoxy? I’d expect 2 part, slow drying epoxiy to be tougher than supper glue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thoughts also on the old epoxy so I went and got new epoxy and have one pulled free already. I have had the most problem with bag targets but I had one pull on a layered target as well :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,975 Posts
Did you clean the inside of the shaft before gluing them in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Good call. I failed to mention I give the shafts a dunk in rubbing alcohol after I square the end before gluing the insert.

with the rip xv's i've been using sand paper wrapped around a small drill bit to lightly rough the inside of the shaft. after that it's q-tip with either denatured alcohol or acetone. it takes several passes with new q-tips but i go until i get a clean white q-tip.

prior to this the insert would pull out leaving a very smooth epoxied insert as if i had sprayed the inside of the shaft with pam prior to epoxy. the worst one i had went through a layered target and didn't stop when the arrow did. the insert was part way into the 2x4 about 5 feet behind the target. live and learn.

forgot to mention i score the insert with sand paper as well.
 

·
Premium Member
Reckoning 35 for 3D, RealmX for hunt, PSE SupraFocusXL for spot . Axcel, ARC release, Victory.
Joined
·
2,108 Posts
with the rip xv's i've been using sand paper wrapped around a small drill bit to lightly rough the inside of the shaft. after that it's q-tip with either denatured alcohol or acetone. it takes several passes with new q-tips but i go until i get a clean white q-tip.

prior to this the insert would pull out leaving a very smooth epoxied insert as if i had sprayed the inside of the shaft with pam prior to epoxy. the worst one i had went through a layered target and didn't stop when the arrow did. the insert was part way into the 2x4 about 5 feet behind the target. live and learn.

forgot to mention i score the insert with sand paper as well.
Yes, that's the way to do this and I've never lost an insert with hotmelt.
I have GoldTip insert + Ballistic collar in VAP .166 arrows.

Last winter I shot GT Velocity's arrows outside in cold conditions and only glue that worked and insert's wouldn't come off was hotmelt.
Epoxy failed, 2 component superglue failed etc. And preparation process in my arrows is quite same as above Sled has told.
Exception is that I don't use drill, just rolled sandpaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
Sorry to hear you have had some problems with insert bonding. I have been using Victory arrows for roughly 5 years and have yet to have a single insert come loose. As mentioned in a couple posts above, I always cut the shafts to length, square and clean the inside of the shaft with a Q-tip dipped in acetone. After the acetone has evaporated, I apply a thin line of AAE Max Impact (black glue) down the length of the insert and place into the shaft. I rotate the shaft to distribute the glue around the inner surface and allow to dry. Nothing fancy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I square the end and I have been using a brass bore brush for .17 cal to scuff up the inside before cleaning with Q tips hadn't thought about sandpaper on a drill bit. Guess that might be worth trying. As Sled had mentioned about the epoxied inserts coming out very smooth the one I was able to recover was just that way :/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Sorry to hear you have had some problems with insert bonding. I have been using Victory arrows for roughly 5 years and have yet to have a single insert come loose. As mentioned in a couple posts above, I always cut the shafts to length, square and clean the inside of the shaft with a Q-tip dipped in acetone. After the acetone has evaporated, I apply a thin line of AAE Max Impact (black glue) down the length of the insert and place into the shaft. I rotate the shaft to distribute the glue around the inner surface and allow to dry. Nothing fancy.
This glue^^^ works!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,975 Posts
Good call. I failed to mention I give the shafts a dunk in rubbing alcohol after I square the end before gluing the insert.
After I square the end I always dip a q tip in acetone and clean the the inside of shaft where insert will be and the face that was squared. You should have much better results if you do this.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top