Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy some of these, I'd use them primarily for hunting and practice in the backyard. I shoot 100 grain points out of a 71lb Z28. The arrows would be cut to 28 5/8" for my 29" DL. The only problem I see is the weight. If I am doing my math right, they would finish out about 330 grains. Isn't this going to be too light for my set up and void my warranty? Can someone with TAP help? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i am thinking the same thing only with a 2010 martin pantera at 28 inch draw 61# will they be ok ??

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
some of the best grouping all carbon shafts you will shoot but not a good arrow to hunt with, being light they are extremely thin walled. They are to fragile IMO to hunt with, go with the nano force or standard Victory shafts

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
they are some fast arrows for 71# you may need the 300's as I am using 350's out of my destroyer 350 at 61# and cut at 27 with fusions and 100 gr tips they weigh 320gr and that would be to light for your set up as for hunting I will not be using these arrows though I will be using my GT XT's they are a tougher arrow and more weight= better penetration and also alot quieter and vibe free

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I use the VForce HVs for 3D. I prefer the standard VForce as a hunting arrow.

However the HVs would work fine also.

·
2,186 Posts
At 71 lbs I wouldn't shy away from using them, but I would consider bumping up to a .300 spine.

I shoot my HV 300s at 70lbs cut at 29" with a 125 gr. tip, 7" wrap and Rayzr feathers and they weigh in at 358 gr total arrow weight.

Comparing these to my standard VForce 300 with identical fletching and tip, I only loose about 4 ft.lbs of KE, according to an online KE calculator. If they fly well with my broadheads I'll probably give them a go come hunting season.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Im gonna be using v-force hv this fall for hunting. Im not worried about it at all. Just go with 125grain BHs and you will be perfect for weight.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
If ur gonna use them, I would personally go with a 50gr brass insert up front and a 100gr head with a 300 spine. Should be perfect for hunting with an FOC of about 19-20%

should fly any broadhead real well!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the replies, guys. Sounds like the nanoforce might be a better hunting arrow.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
im getting me some vforce HV's for my turbohawk. 400 spine. only going to do like 65lbs

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
some of the best grouping all carbon shafts you will shoot but not a good arrow to hunt with,
I shoot the HV350s from a 60lb Katera with a 125gr tip, and from another 60lb Katera with a 75gr tip. 285fps, and 305fps.

They work just fine. I shot the biggest whitetail in over 40yrs with a HV350/125gr tip. Complete pass thru at 25yds. Shot another big doe at 35yds with a 75gr Wolverine, again, in the dirt on the other side.

One season, two shots, two deer down in sight is no test, but it could be an indication.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
i would say no, not just no but never,,, the arrow may be sufficent for some to hunt with but its not a hunting arrow unless chipmonks are the quarry...

,,, victory makes some fine arrows, for hunting, use something else.. or probably eventually wish you had... its your flesh and bone at risk

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
i would say no, not just no but never,,, the arrow may be sufficent for some to hunt with but its not a hunting arrow unless chipmonks are the quarry...

,,, victory makes some fine arrows, for hunting, use something else.. or probably eventually wish you had... its your flesh and bone at risk
I have to totally disagree with this one. I killed three deer, last season, with the same Victory HV 350. One of them field dressed 220+ pounds. All 3 were complete pass throughs. On the other hand, I broke one in half by trying to get it out of my quiver. If you want to hunt with them they will work fine.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I am shooting them out of my Destroyer 350, I have a 29" draw, shooting 70lbs and all I had to do is switch to 125gr broadhead. I personally talked to my Victory rep and he sells tons of these arrows to guys that kill elk with them. He said they would work fine for whitetail if you wanted a fast arrow, you may not be able to kill 5 animals with one arrow, but thats fine with me, I retire the arrow I kill every animal with. Good Luck

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have to totally disagree with this one. I killed three deer, last season, with the same Victory HV 350. One of them field dressed 220+ pounds. All 3 were complete pass throughs. On the other hand, I broke one in half by trying to get it out of my quiver. If you want to hunt with them they will work fine.
I would have to 2nd this. I hunted with them one year finished arrow weight right around 320gr. Killed deer but a definate decline in penetration vs. using a heavier shaft. These arrows are very, very thin walled. The end of them will mushroom much easier than a thicker walled shaft. And they can take very little pressure from the side before breaking. My advice if you shoot these shafts is to twist check them for cracks often.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts

They are definitely a fragile arrow as compared to other options, but this post is a little over the top.

I have hunted with them the last 4 seasons and have about 3 left. They will not be going back into my quiver...however, I have shot about 15 deer, 20 or so hogs, 4 turkeys, a bobcat, several coons, several dillas, and whatever else i am forgetting. For the most part, each time I killed something the arrow was broken. However...I never got cheated out of a kill because the arrow didn't do its job. That kill list includes a couple bucks that dressed at 198 and 185, two boars with one shot, and one hog this month that went 200 even after the arrow went thru both shields.

I guess what I am saying is yes, they are ok for hunting but expect them to break. There are definitely better choices out there.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. I was just looking for a slightly lighter option than my Maxima Hunter 350's, and a little cheaper too. I will probably look at something else. I still have 2 dozen fmjs I could try as well.

·
Only visiting this planet
4,152 Posts
.... For the most part, each time I killed something the arrow was broken. However...I never got cheated out of a kill because the arrow didn't do its job. .....
I guess what I am saying is yes, they are ok for hunting but expect them to break. There are definitely better choices out there.
What Robin said - I used the victory HV's last year out of my z28 (60lb 28") with 125gr heads.
I shot 4 deer - all dead within 60 or 70 yds but not a single arrow survived any of those kills. They are light and fast, but not tough.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, I decided to go with the v-force v3's. A little heavier, and I will have more confidence in them as opposed to being worrid about being borderline.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts