Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a camcorder for mounting to a bohning mount and film hunts and also to film shooting the crossbow. I would like to get a good quality one but something that won't break the bank. Any suggestions out there? One other thing, I see that the most have a steady shot feature, does this help when the crossbow is fired to reduce the camera shaking?

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Canon.com ... has some pretty good deals on "refurbished" units. I'd buy a refurbished in a heartbeat if I wanted a camera.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
I heard of those kill shots that wyvern is talking about.
Don't forget about the smaller pov cams too. Gopro contour and drift. I thought about getting one if those three so I could put it on my xbow or glock or rifle hell even my harley whatever I want.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
I was looking at the Go Pro's to, but they don't have a zoom on them and that is one feature that I have to have..

Mike

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Beervo. That's why I think I'm gonna get the drift. It has a 4x zoom and cheaper than the gopro.
Gopro fans will argue though that you can just buy another lens for zoom. Gopro has it going on right now I went to a gokartin race last weekend and they all had gopros on their helmets.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
And you iphone users don't forget about the iscope. I've seen a few videos from them it's really cool being able to see the crosshairs but I couldn't handle looking at my cell phone to kill something.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I have a Canon HF 300 wid zoom. I haven't figured out how to silence the audible power on chime yet. So i turm mine on soon as i see a tick toter while they're walkin & they haven't heard it yet

·
im not NOT licking toads.
7,801 Posts
i film my hunts,

and if you really want to be able to have good footage i would go with a HD camcorder,much better zoom (optical zoom vs digital zoom of cheap cameras that will pixelate your footage when zoomed)

i have a sony,you can find it and other HD cams at reasonable prices (under $300)

after using an HD camera ill never be able to go back to standard definition.

and just because a camera says it records in hd does not mean the footage will be good,

alot of point and shoot still cameras say they shoot hd video in 720p

but its nowhere near the quality of a dedicated HD video camera.

just my .02

·
7,801 Posts
And you iphone users don't forget about the iscope. I've seen a few videos from them it's really cool being able to see the crosshairs but I couldn't handle looking at my cell phone to kill something.
scopecam footage is the best :)

you can do this type of video with any camera, theres a mount called a "seben dka 2" that allows you to mount your camera looking through your scope,

i have lots of .22cal air rifle/.17hmr rimfire starling kills/target shooting on scopecam video,

heres a quick one of 2 squirrel kills with an air rifle,the second one was shot at 70 yards and i put it right in his ear :)

gonna be a fun season of crossbow scopecam shooting as soon as i get my telson 130 from dave :)

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Haha. I love those videos like that. There's some guy on YouTube teds holdover or something like that. He has a massive amount of videos just like that. Squirrels pigeons rats rabbits you name it.
Awesome stuff.

·
7,801 Posts
Haha. I love those videos like that. There's some guy on YouTube teds holdover or something like that. He has a massive amount of videos just like that. Squirrels pigeons rats rabbits you name it.
Awesome stuff.

ted is awesome :)

he is who made me want to start doing scopecam vids :)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I definitely want something that I can zoom, so the go pro and those are out. I was looking at the new sony HD camcorders and will probably get one. I want it for hunting but also shooting footage and other things.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I recently bought one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-20-Came...314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a16e16f72

I figured I'd clamp it to my scope, then screw on my high-quality Sony HD Camcorder in the 12 o'clock position relative to the scope/crossbow. This camera is pretty small, so its size in combination with high quality HD recording has me pumped. I looked at a lot of the other options, and I concluded I didn't want mediocre footage or something strapped to my head during the shot (who knows where it'd actually point?). I like the idea of a full-featured camera with excellent zoom, sound, etc.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Hiswese check out the drift cam. It has zoom. Also the contour roam2, but it may not have zoom.
I think I'm gonna buy the drift over the gopro because of price and zoom.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Rick, I was just checking out the Drift cam and it has a digital zoom, optical zooms give alot better quality video then digital..
Might be something to think about..

Mike

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Ahh you're right I just seen a video of it and when they zoomed the quality went downhill bad.
I have five months or so to figure out which cam I'm gonna use so hopefully I will see some videos on here during the summer make my decision.
I like the countour roam and the drift hd but they are worthless as a hunting can without optical zoom.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts