Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot some hunting footage in 1990 and made a video. The quality of the 4 generation tape is very poor. I have used Pinnacle program to convert to a DVD. I need some suggestions on editing programs to clean it up some. Thank you Whitetail99 :wink:

·
Registered
412 Posts
got any buddies who work for the FBI?

Serious.

·
Registered
756 Posts
If the original images on the tape are poor quality ,there is no way to correct it, it is what it is............if the footage on the tape is better quality than what is being produced after transferring to DVD, you may have a setting wrong on your capture device or you may be using the wrong type of transfer cord (firewire or USB 2.0 is the only exceptable method of transfer).

·
Registered
313 Posts
cams

Hi this is for pronghornproductions : I have used a sony ccd vx3 for 10 years, the last cam sold before digital cam out. We would like to shoot good hd video with broadcast quality and not spend 10,000 for the camera eq. Do you have any suggestions on a good cam panasonic, cannon or sony or ? that would do the job? Thanks I know there will be many digitals out there right now while everyone is scrambling to go to hd, what are the options in digital cam that have been used for great videos? thanks for your time.

·
Registered
756 Posts
You can get a number of quality HD cameras for under $4000.........
In Panasonic the HVX200 is also a hard drive compatible camera (but the p2 cards that it writes to are expensive) but it also captures to mini dv tape..

In Canon the XH A1 is about the most popular camera out there right now and it shoots nice footage....but some have reported cold weather issues with Canon and I cannot say one way or the other how it will hold up in temps below 32 F.

Sony has a few different HD models the V1U is the one I seriously considered last fall, but at almost $4200 I decided against it........it is a nice unit though and has everything the Canon has plus a larger LCD screen for self videoing.

Anyone of those camera plus a few others will give you broadcast quality HD footage...........but to be totally honest with you I have not made the jump to HD yet.......I have done a bit of research and have played with some cameras, but I feel that SD will have it's place for a few years yet and depending on future projects I may wait until 2009 before making the switch over. But that said if you are wanting to shoot footage for a number of the bigger name companies HD is what they are starting to demand, so you would probably be ahead of the game to start with HD equip. if you can afford it........
When you refer to digital I assume you are talking about SD (standard definition)?
There are a number of really great quality SD cams and the prices are dropping on most...
I shoot the Panasonic DVX100 and I love it.......the only draw back is it's limited zoom (10x) but most of my videoing is bowhunting and for that it works just fine.
Alot of companies are shooting the Sony PD170 and like it alot, it has the best lowlight capabilities of the SD cameras, the only draw back I found with it was a smaller LCD screen.

In Canon you have your choice of the GL2 which is a decent starter camera, but I have heard of numerous problems with it........
You can pick up some really cheap used XL1s' right now, if a shoulder held cam is what you are after.......only drawback for me with this camera is no LCD for self videoing and it is a fairly large camera for packing into a tree stand.......but if you have a dedicated camera person it would be a good option.
You also have the choice of the XL2 in Canon which i believe has a small fold out LCD.

And as with anything get to know whatever camera you chose intimately. The best camera in the world is only as good as the guy/gal running it.

Hope this helped some.

Good luck!
Chris

·
Registered
164 Posts
i have a program called pro pix EVE. i purchased it from radio shack about two years ago. it does my old analog video from the 90's befor i switched to DV it only cost 80 bucks but you cant find that stuff anymore. good cheep program for older video.

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
I shot some hunting footage in 1990 and made a video. The quality of the 4 generation tape is very poor. I have used Pinnacle program to convert to a DVD. I need some suggestions on editing programs to clean it up some. Thank you Whitetail99 :wink:
There isn't a whole lot you can do. You can adjust the color and luminance levels and treat the dropouts, but the "fuzziness" can't really be addressed. Sharpening often just accents the problems in the tape. VHS tape isn't very high resolution and you are already knowledgeable enough to know what "forth generation" means, so you've probably already thought of the basics.

Sometimes it is possible to go and reduce or blur the color channels to reduce the Chroma noise--I'll often turn down the color a little since composite VHS really builds up the noise in the color channels.

Your best bet may be to make sure you captured the tapes from the best VCR possible. Make sure the heads are clean as well. But, since the tape is a dub of a dub of a dub, there is nothing you can do to fix the quality of the intermediate duplication.

VHS VCRS have a fairly unstable output that can be be a bit dodgy on captures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts