Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have been shooting now for a few weeks and thought i'd make a video of my form.

Perhaps you guys could give me some advice?

Massive Thanks!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Looks nice and relaxed, a couple of things, first slow things down a little, pay attention to the little things like setting string fingers, your draw elbow looks a little high and bow elbow a little too bent, would have been nice to see bowhand in video as well, the release is smooth/fluid but the followthrough is still a little fake i.e you know the hand has to come back but you are making it go back and it not yet a natural reaction to continued expansion, once you get the Rhomboids loaded and working correctly you will notice a huge difference in the feel of the followthrough, it all takes time to build the sequence and form.

If it is your first few weeks then I would say you are making great progress. Its Ok to have some form errors, we are after all human and not machines.:wink:

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Looks like your off to a good start. I agree with Steve - slow down. Draw that bow all the way back to your anchor and hold it there for a few seconds. You can also draw, hold, aim - hold for 10 seconds then let down. It will help with snap shooting and strengthen your shot. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!,

I just have started doing that follow trhu since a day of 2..
I am not sure where to put my hand to.. it should be the same place every time right? some people i see them go to the ear or even further..
Is this something that will be better by time? or should i focus on it to make it to a fixed position every shot?
The bowarm i bent it, so when i release that my bow goes forwards instead of left or right.. but probaly i bent to much? :p

Thanks for advice!!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Elbow too high, thumb should be under the jaw. Just hold your hand relaxed out in front of your face. Your thumb will be pointed towards your forefinger not up. Pointing it up puts unwanted tension in your forearm. The swing draw is hard on your joints. You don't notice it because your young. Your much better off starting with the bow pointed at the target.

One of the reasons your elbow is too high is that you don't have a deep enough hook on the string.

Should have about 45 seconds between shot. Most important it give you time for your muscles to recover, but you also have time to think about what you did on the last shot and how to improve on the next. Don't feel bad most trad guys shoot that way.

So now you have some things to work on. How are you going to build that into your shot sequence? Blind Bailing. It's the cure for everything but aiming, because you don't aim.

Bowmania

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,248 Posts
Try to position the camera to the side. Also, pull down a copy of the freeware Kinovea. It is a great video tool that allows slow motion, frame by frame, screen grab, etc. You can also draw persistent or temporary lines and grids, which is great to check for unwanted movements. It is a great idea to keep a library of form videos that you can go back to, to check progress, or to spot the cause of a digression.

http://www.kinovea.org/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts