Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of "reinventing the wheel", I elected to have 2 scenes ripped (and spliced together) from my latest DVD "Long Bows with Power Tools".

In this clip I demonstrate how to string your stave/bow for the first time and to correctly tiller a stave into a bow.

Keep this in mind:
As a rule, if you can not floor tiller a stave/bow 8"-10" it is often times not ready to accept being strung or "braced". Also shown are the necessary steps of removing belly wood in order to balance the limbs and bring your stave/bow into perfect tiller*. I used a file and a flat soled spokeshave but an orbital sander or other sanding devices can be used. Which tool(s) you incorporate depends on your comfort level.

In response to cttrailrider's December 4th post/request, I have plans to post a clip on the "lamination process" as well.... stay tuned.

*To save anyone the trouble of posting it....
Due to retakes in the filming process, my measurements changed often as did the differentials. Several "not-so-good" takes were removed in the editing process. That being said, the final differential should be -3/16" as opposed to the recorded "under 1/2".

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Great info, Tom! I just finished watching that DVD on Power Tools and posted a few thoughts in the general forum. I do think that showing a good floor bend and feel for when to brace the bow is crucial information, as many new bowyers get broken bows by lacking insight in that step.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts