Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never video my hunts and I am just curious how many of you guys have gone through with the extra work with a video hunt? If you have videoed before, I was wondering how was the quaility of the video? Did you have a "camera man" or did you do it yourself? Any special techniques? Helpful advice. Now, I am not talking about that crap staged hunt you see on the Outdoor Channel. I can't stand the scene where a hunter is seen on the camera supposedly looking for a downed deer coming towards the camera. Just truthful hunting.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rush, I mean D.T. what can you add to this?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Hey JAvi...D.T. don't do none of that "staged hunting crap like on the outdoor channel" does he?

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
I video my own hunts. Usually no cameraman, just me. Sometimes I even run two cameras. It is about the hardest thing to do though, trying to run a camera and shoot too. I usually set one camera pointing to the spot I most expect to be shooting towards, then I have the other one more accessible so I can pan it when needed.

Quality of footage is good, one digital cam, one digital 8mm.

If you guys are offering, I have two good cameras.....you could tag along and video.:D

Hey, I`ll even video for you after my tag is filled. See what a nice guy I am!;)

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Wellllllllllllll........... Naaaaaaa......

To tell you the truth, if they only showed what they caught on film the first time through, you wouldn't watch it.

They take two or three hours of video and condense it to 15 minutes or so. And yes a lot of what you see is staged because the camera was out of position or the scene didn't flow.
It's not easy to make a video someone really wants to watch...

I used to teach underwater video and the editing is the hardest part... I would sometimes shoot 4 or 5 hours of video to get 1 - 30 minute tape.

But no, he isn't shown tracking the pronghorn towards the camera, that's just plain bad editing and video.

I laugh everytime I see that crap.....

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
went to texas to hunt hogs instead the only hog i got video was a dead 40 lber shot with bow and it was sad as it was th only pig shot all weekend and found out his hog farm was just not what it was said to be. the animals that could be shot were the rams and for 5to 600 dollars you shot what he called a gold ram but decided to have one for what they were stupid enough to just stand there and you could of fallen out of hte stand and they would of come over and smelled you to see whatyou were or lick you. videoing your hunt would be cool and yes you have to edit to make it work but you definately need a person to really be there to vid while you hunt and vice versa. i am hoping to video my dad this year during archery season and also i am headed back to texas where i am going to try and video my hunt for tukey and does it;s a meat hunt this time down
rob k

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Robk, Javelina, and Big Country. Any other Video Stars out there that would like to share their tips and thoughts?

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
All the time

WE've got 4 excellent quality bow kills on video. Three of which the animal goes down on camera. We're in the process of producing our own hunting video. No "Hollywood" editing. Everything is real, and chronological. I hope it will be a good seller. We kill Does, and small bucks, and I hope this year will be the year for good bucks. We've got fox kills, and even bullfrogs....

Bo

So far only used a Sony Digital 8, I plan to purchase a Canon GL-2 for this season, money permitting. Its about a $2k unit....

·
Registered
91 Posts
video

my brother,my freinds and myself used to film each other rabbit hunting.it turned out pretty good for just messing around and using a older camcorder.its really fun to watch it when youre done.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Hey Arkie, BoHunter and myself have the same thing in mind. We've even talked about it before on another forum. It has been a dream of mine for about 6 years now. I finally went out and bought a digital camcorder last year. So far all is going well. I don't have many kills on video yet, cause I didn't have a video partner last year. Now that a good friend of mine has joined me, hopefully that will all change this year, as with any luck, we'll have something to show for our labors(if you could call it that:) )

One word of advice,... make sure you get a digital camcorder for filming. The quality is unbeatable. And if you are going to do your own editing,.... make sure the camcorder has a IEEE or 1394 Firewire port, for transfering the footage to the computer, for editing.
Good Luck JP

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whitefeather,
Thanks for the tips. It is what I was looking for. I am about ready for a video hunt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts