Archery Talk Forum banner

Views on Killing

2281 Views 71 Replies 57 Participants Last post by  rodney482
Below is a article from the Colorado Bowhunter the magazine put out by the Colorado Bowhunters Association (CBA). The CBA is very worthy organization that I support. Anyone that bowhunts CO or wants to in the future should consider supporting/joining. With that said this article rubbed me the wrong way - these line from the end in particular "Sure the killing bothers me. It's supposed too. And if it ever stops bothering me, I pray I'll be big enough to let go of hunting forever" "Because to hunt and not despise the killing would be to become not an animal but a form of human that is already far too common in the festering cities of this world"

Sorry it is three picture of artice. The article was short about 3/4 of page but I took three picture so the text would be a little larger.

Agree? Disagree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Perhaps he wrote it that way to pacify all the freakin liberals in the fine state of Colorado. I lived in Rawlins, Wy for a year what a crap hole and went to Co quite a bit. Never seen so many Subaru drivin,granola munchin, libs in my life. That said it was a million times better than the part of Wy I was in, and the scenery was breathtaking.

· Registered
1,523 Posts
Perhaps he wrote it that way to pacify all the freakin liberals in the fine state of Colorado. I lived in Rawlins, Wy for a year what a crap hole and went to Co quite a bit. Never seen so many Subaru drivin,granola munchin, libs in my life. That said it was a million times better than the part of Wy I was in, and the scenery was breathtaking.
There are plenty of them types out here, but there's also plenty of great sportsman...

· Registered
1,861 Posts
Killing is part of the deal. If we did not hunt deer would take over Indiana.
I dont like animals to suffer so I try to only take ethical shots. and I practice alot to be ready.

· Registered
6,289 Posts
I agree with the idea that killing an animal is not something to be taken lightly and that too many in our society (even our hunting society) don't take it seriously enough. I wouldn't say it bothers me when I do it though. I think he went a little far there but maybe that is how he feels.

· Registered
1,204 Posts
We have choices. God gave us the need for food and provided it. Are we less civilized to thin out our animals or watch them die of starvation. I choose the first.

· Registered
4,061 Posts
It sounds to me like someone that is stuck on the fence between being a tree hugger and a hunter. It's worded a little strong for my taste.

With that said, I hunt because I love the outdoors, enjoy the challenge of pursuit, eat what I "kill' and also because I understand the necessity of game management/ population control, due to land development/ habitat loss and disease mitigation. I respect the lives of the animals that I hunt, but I don't lose sleep at night over a successful hunt/ kill.

· Registered
533 Posts
What's wrong with Subies?

· Registered
5,923 Posts
watched some of the Kill it, cook it, eat it shows last night. WOW, sad to see people give more credence to the life of a varmit then a human. Serious mental problems.

Nothing a good old depression can't cure. Take away the easy food and see how fast people start killing their own food again LMAO

Killling the animal is part of it, I do not get any joy from it nor do I lose any sleep over it. guess growing up at grandma's farm taught me that at a young age, it just has to happen if you want to harvest and eat that animal.

· Registered
1,204 Posts
Below is a article from the Colorado Bowhunter the magazine put out by the Colorado Bowhunters Association (CBA). The CBA is very worthy organization that I support. Anyone that bowhunts CO or wants to in the future should consider supporting/joining. With that said this article rubbed me the wrong way - these line from the end in particular "Sure the killing bothers me. It's supposed too. And if it ever stops bothering me, I pray I'll be big enough to let go of hunting forever" "Because to hunt and not despise the killing would be to become not an animal but a form of human that is already far too common in the festering cities of this world"

Sorry it is three picture of artice. The article was short about 3/4 of page but I took three picture so the text would be a little larger.

Agree? Disagree?

perhaps there ones who side with "no killing" should witness starvation and make the choice after watching the horrifying death caused by starvation

· Registered
5,261 Posts
I think it makes good sense. I dont think he ment 'bothers' in a bad way. I think he meant it in a way in which he's feeling some type of emotion. Thats exactly what makes us human, is that we have the power to feel emotion (good or bad) and interprit it for ourselves. When we hunt, we are killing an animal, and I try my best for an ethical shot as Splash said. The last thing you'd want to do is make an animal suffer right? I seen a video where the guy drills a does spine and it falls down screaming for a couple minutes. I didnt like that to be honest and nobody should. He's saying when the day comes where he doesnt feel emotion, he isnt human anymore. Thats what I took from it.

· Registered
4,061 Posts
watched some of the Kill it, cook it, eat it shows last night. WOW, sad to see people give more credence to the life of a varmit then a human. Serious mental problems.

Nothing a good old depression can't cure. Take away the easy food and see how fast people start killing their own food again LMAO

Killling the animal is part of it, I do not get any joy from it nor do I lose any sleep over it. guess growing up at grandma's farm taught me that at a young age, it just has to happen if you want to harvest and eat that animal.
+1 on that right there! :)

· Registered
52 Posts
I dont nessarly like to kill the deer i shoot. Lets put it this way I get more enjoyment watchhing the feed in the hay field out behind my house! But hunting for me is the expierence, the memories, a tradition that i'm passing on to my kids, a great source of food, and a nessity for the farmers in my area, not to mention a great adrenlin rush! The killing as said before is just a part of it! I did'nt read the entire artical but just thought i would put my two cents in anyways!

· NAASP
16,066 Posts

Some good words there Bucky.

· One bubble off...
3,839 Posts
While I don't hate the kill, I don't go jumping for joy either when I find my animal. To me the actual kill is the anti-climax of the hunt. It is the preparation and excitement leading up to the shot that keep me in the woods.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.