Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Virginia bill that allows counties to ban the discharge of bows has passed the House and Senate and is on Gov. Mark Warner's desk. Thanks to a last minute effort, the bill exempts bow shooting ranges and bowhunting.

House Bill 2741, introduced by Delegate John S. Reid, R-Richmond, allows counties to prohibit shooting a bow in heavily populated areas. Existing law allows counties to ban the discharge of firearms in populated areas.

A last minute amendment to the bill exempted indoor shooting ranges and allows hunting on land parcels two acres and larger. Those parcels must be in areas zoned for agricultural uses.

“This legislation was driven by safety and ethical concerns surrounding bowhunting,” said Rick Story, U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance (USSA) senior vice president. “Those concerns could have been virtually eliminated by educating legislators and the general public about the stellar safety record of bowhunters and about the high ethical standards of the vast majority of archers. Unfortunately, this bill was introduced and passed very quickly and with little input from the hunting community.”

In response to similar issues, and with the merger of the nation’s two largest anti-hunting organizations, the USSA and several national bowhunter and communications organizations have created the Bowhunter Rights Coalition (BRC). Its focus is to link leading bowhunters and bowhunting groups.

“The BRC is a rapid response network to deal with bowhunting issues at the local, state and national levels,” said Story. “As we gain more members and frankly, more momentum, the threat posed by bills such as the one in Virginia can be averted altogether.”

National and state groups involved with the BRC include Bowhunter Magazine, The Bowsite, International Bowhunting Organization, National Bowhunting Education Foundation, Pope & Young Club, Bowhunting.net, The United Bowhunters of Kentucky and Maryland Bowhunters.

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance is preparing a BRC website on which it will post the latest news about the assault against bowhunting. It will provide educational materials about bowhunter safety and more. A chat room will also be available to discuss issues and for occasional live chats with leaders of the bowhunting community.

A report from the Humane Society of the United States, released on January 31, lays out the group’s plans to ban hunting in 2005. Aside from previous plans to target bowhunting, HSUS is preparing a ballot campaign to ban Michigan’s dove season for which sportsmen arduously fought.

For more information about how to join the Bowhunter Rights Coalition, call the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance, (614) 888-4868 or e-mail [email protected].

Just some information I came across that i thought you ALL should know about. This can happern anywhere people. Another fine example for why you all should be members of your states bowhunting orgs and also members of the US Sportsmans Allinace, the NABC and the BRC. I am finding out if the BRC & the NABC are going to affiliate.
keep your eyes open for the NABC thread for info on this important group and topic.

Respectfully,
deerhaven

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
deerhaven said:
A Virginia bill that allows counties to ban the discharge of bows has passed the House and Senate and is on Gov. Mark Warner's desk. Thanks to a last minute effort, the bill exempts bow shooting ranges and bowhunting.

House Bill 2741, introduced by Delegate John S. Reid, R-Richmond, allows counties to prohibit shooting a bow in heavily populated areas. Existing law allows counties to ban the discharge of firearms in populated areas.

A last minute amendment to the bill exempted indoor shooting ranges and allows hunting on land parcels two acres and larger. Those parcels must be in areas zoned for agricultural uses.
What about 3D ranges? I hope Texas doesn't do anything like that, however, most cities prohibit shooting projectiles - including firearms, bows, darts, BB guns, etc. within city limits.

We did just pass a law that prohibts cities from annexing land and eliminating hunting as long as that property is used for that purpose.

Good luck on getting the governor to veto this bill. Chances are he's already made up his mind, though.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The death of suburban archery in VA

Suburban archery has become an effective deer mgt tool in the Northern VA area, but no more it appears. This basically kills shooting in your backyard unless it's a big one zoned for agriculture. I live in Arlington, and we can't even shoot a slingshot due to local ordinance. Mind you, coyotes are showing up here, but you can't eliminate them as the county believes they have as much right to be here as you do.

Warner was elected Gov in VA after spending his personal fortune campaigning for 3 years and telling every Bubba in VA that he was pro-gun and pro-hunter. So far, he probably gets a B- on that promise, and I'm not complaining too much because he's infinitely better on those issue than his prospective replacement, Tim Kaine. However, I do not see Warner vetoeing this bill. :sad:

·
Registered
817 Posts
In my municipality they have an ordinance that states it is illegal to discharge any projectile. That just about covers everything. :mad:

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
In general I must say this sucks. On the bright side at least it isnt banning the discharge of bows just 'allows' counties the option of banning it.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Guys don't give up fighting this bill. If he does not sign it it does not become law. Back in the 1980s we beat a bill banning broadheads that was all ready for the Gov to sign. If you clog up his fax, phone and mail with letters He might just throw it in the garbage.
Where was your state hunting orgs on this one. Va is a very pro hunting state I cannot believe they let this fly without an all out fight.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
excellent points

NJBowman said:
Guys don't give up fighting this bill. If he does not sign it it does not become law. Back in the 1980s we beat a bill banning broadheads that was all ready for the Gov to sign. If you clog up his fax, phone and mail with letters He might just throw it in the garbage.
Where was your state hunting orgs on this one. Va is a very pro hunting state I cannot believe they let this fly without an all out fight.

excellent points and YES you all better load up his phone bank and emails. It does work.. This is exactely what i have been preaching to bowhunters for the past year or so. We can no longer afford to sit back and let someone else do our work. All bowhunters must step up or figure on using that nice bow for an expensive boat anchor.

You must all additionally support and join groups such as the US Sportsmans Allinace, the North American Bowhunters Coalition and the Bowhunters Rights Coalition.

·
Registered
536 Posts
deerhaven said:
excellent points and YES you all better load up his phone bank and emails. It does work..

Can someone post his mail address or the # to call?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Does Va have a staewide bowhunting organization? If so get a hold of their officers and have them put out an alert to all bowhunters and pro shops across the state. In NJ our website has a legislative page with contacts for all NJ legislative contacts.
If your state does not have one I would suggest that you get a group of die hard bowhunters together and start one. If you check out our website at www.ubnj.org maybe you can get some ideas. Good luck, if I can help in any way let me know.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Va Bowhunters Association?

I sent in my dues and application this morning before I heard about this.

This is just crazy. The folks in Richmond, Tidewater, and NOVA get together with these stupid solutions looking for a problem. There is a great and very, very effective pro-gun group called the Virginia Citizens Defense League that has stopped and reversed a lot of the stupid gun control laws in the state in the last 5 or so years. Looks like it's time for the bowhunters to do the same. After all, we have a constitutional right to hunt and fish in VA, a right that the current governor supported.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Wow. This country is becoming more like a prison, with each new day.
Soon, every damn thing you do will be over-regulated/over-legislated/
outright banned. They done went too far, this time. Archery is MY "line in
the sand". Nobody is going to stop me from shooting my bows, in a safe and
sensible manner. What's next? Prohibition part II?

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
The first of many shots to be fired by the anti-hunters..

Did they not say that bowhunting was their number one target?

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
They pass xbows to get more in archery then limit the archery areas in the same year. Smart bunch we have up there.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
NJBowman said:
call your congress man email him talk to them everyday like he is your hunting buddy and he will get the message if all in your state do this. they all listen to the loudest masses

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
good advice

FL-HNT-N-FSH said:
call your congress man email him talk to them everyday like he is your hunting buddy and he will get the message if all in your state do this. they all listen to the loudest masses

Good advice to follow

1 - 17 of 17 Posts