Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
257 Posts
Thats if and when, not set in stone. I dont bear hunt, or have any desire to shoot one if it comes walking by, so it wouldnt bother me.

· Registered
704 Posts
I hope this does not fly. I am not a bear hunter as such but I do hunt the mountains for one week during bear season and have found where they are. I would love to arrow one while deer hunting and bear hunting during this week. I will not buy a separate bear tag if this passes.

· Bow Bender
6,974 Posts
Why change what is working just fine? The hunters that actually take a bear that happens by is a very low percentage overall anyway. I've always been glad to have my bear tag on my big game stamp and have hunted areas due to the fact it had bear sign. They are just going to make it more expensive and drive more people to do something either illegal or away from the sport due to the money factor. Stupid if you ask me. Leave it the way it is.

· Registered
730 Posts
Where I hunt there seems to be friction between some of the Deer Hunters and Bear hunters. The Bear Hunters seem to believe that Bow hunters mangle thier bears and shouldn't be hunting them. The deer hunters complain about the dogs running deer.

I think its a shame that the Bear hunters are trying to run the cost up of a sport that seems to be getting more expensive each year anyways.

· Registered
936 Posts
The way I look at it is that I'm already paying about $75 to hunt each year as it is. If I have to pay another $25 on top of that to shoot a bear ($100 +) ....forget it!!

· Just beat Terry Club
9,369 Posts
The article states "dedicated houndsmen" what a joke. They go one to state that "regular" hunters should not be allowed to shoot the bear just because it happened by them.
I guess I have a different outlook on things being I grew up in PA. Bears are HUNTED there, not run with dogs until they tree. Same goes for deer. Dogs found chasing deer get shot.
Would love to have the chance of taking a bear with the bow, but would I buy the extra license--no.

· southern traditions
5,232 Posts
this is just another one of those things were they are trying to put us against other hunters.if its for the money it will be passed u know how the vgafd is

· Registered
8,525 Posts
Just another way to get some more money out of us :angry:.There are a couple bear where I hunt ,only time I ever see them is out of season .I would love to take a bear with my bow ,if given the chance .I guess if it I'll just have to pay the extra money .If I dont I know sure as hell I'll have them all around my stand .We still have it good ,we can take 6 deer 3 turkeys and a bear for 37 dollars now.Dont get me wrong I hate to see anything go up .

· Registered
34 Posts
As a life long resident of central Virginia I have had numerous encounters with the "dedicated houndsmen". Most of them not enjoyable from my perspective. Who wouldn't want to have their solitude and hunt disrupted by a pack of hounds running through the woods.

Now I don't hound hunt, but I see this a great way to divide the hunters of our state, where the number of hunters is already on the decline. What a great way for the elite bear hunters, (chasers) to alienate their bretheren that much more. As the fellow said who grew up on Pennsylvania, the goal is to run the bear up a tree and then dispatch it. The hardest part of this hunting equation is to be on good enough shape to run and keep up with the dogs.

I don't have a desire to shoot a bear, whether with bow or gun, and I have no problems with folks focusing their efforts on a single species. What I do have a problem with is people wanting the balance tipped in their favor for their special interest. If these folks were seriously concerned about enriching the sport of bear hunting, then why donate their time and money to programs that will helps the bears. Not looking to lock out the youngster or new hunter who happens to kill a bear while deer hunting.

It is this type of thinking and elitist attitude that is going to divide us hunters and guess who is going to be the winner? All of the anti-hunters, PETA, etc.

We need to work together and become a cohesive group, not a bunch of special interest groups. We can see how well this has worked out in our country in the political arena.

We don't need to help the antis with their divide and conquer tactics.

Whatever the Virginia Game Commission decides won't have an impact on me. I don't use my bear tag now and definitely won't be buying one this fall if it cost extra.

Rant over.

· Registered
1,364 Posts
Va don't do squat for wildlife around most areas of the state!! The cost of in state licenses are crazy compared to other states resident permits and now more $$$ to spend if this is passed!!:angry: I say :thumbs_do to the additional bear tag!! I shouldn't have to pay more to bear hunt cause I don't use hounds!!

· Registered
1,618 Posts
I also do not feel like we have it that bad as far as prices go for licenses in Virginia. I do not want to shoot a bear and would rather have the option to purchase a tag if I wanted to instead of having to pay for the price in the regular license anyways. My one complaint however is if they are going to break out the "bear" tags now does that make the price of our regular license go down??? I think not...:(

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your license go down nah, Probably up.
:thumbs_do to put it nicely.
I also do not feel like we have it that bad as far as prices go for licenses in Virginia. I do not want to shoot a bear and would rather have the option to purchase a tag if I wanted to instead of having to pay for the price in the regular license anyways. My one complaint however is if they are going to break out the "bear" tags now does that make the price of our regular license go down??? I think not...:(

· Registered
276 Posts
"Organized bear hunters believe that a bear is such a magnificent creature that it is best left to dedicated houndsmen. It should not, they say, become the incidental target of some deer hunter who blows it away just because he happened to come across it."

Elitists... They the 'VBHA' just want to have all the bears to themselves. And knowing Virginia, a potential $300k will have VDGIF all ears...I wont be surprised at all to see it pass.

Thanks for the link to 'leave comment'...heading there now.

· Registered
2,588 Posts
This doesn't suprise me, the houndsman have been after this for year. All they wan't is more bear to chase because in reality, they kill very few. I know alot of bear hunters, I live in the top bear county in VA, and all they do is ruin the mountains. They tear up the roads, chase the deer to god knows where, and none of them get along with each other. Plus the training season in September is stupid. It is always still 90 degrees, what do you think that does to the bears running for miles in that heat. For some people that claim to love bears, this to me is cruel. There were over 180 bears killed in Rockingham County last year, and we still have problem bears coming into the city and residental areas, getting into everything. The houndsman will never put up these kind of numbers, and then we are going to have a broblem. All hunting with dogs in VA is under attack at this time. These houndsman should be lying low right, its only going to hurt them.

· Registered
2,718 Posts
I don't see this law passing at all. The state would loose money because they would have to reduce the cost of big game stamps if the bear tag was made seperate. I don't hunt bear and I would not be buying a bear tag. A seperate bear tag would cause a firestorm amongst hunters. I see too many negative issues surrounding a seperate bear license. If the game department were to cave to the desires of one special interest group, who would be next? I hope that those who will be making a decision on the new law have brains enough to see the many problems with this law, and trash it quickly.

· Just beat Terry Club
9,369 Posts
I don't see this law passing at all. The state would loose money because they would have to reduce the cost of big game stamps if the bear tag was made seperate. I don't hunt bear and I would not be buying a bear tag. A seperate bear tag would cause a firestorm amongst hunters. I see too many negative issues surrounding a seperate bear license. If the game department were to cave to the desires of one special interest group, who would be next? I hope that those who will be making a decision on the new law have brains enough to see the many problems with this law, and trash it quickly.
Well,.. they wouldn't HAVE TO reduce the $ for a license.:cool: They could say, "Oh Well".

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.