Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently use a Vista 3d release, which looks amazingly similar to the Jim Fletcher Fletchunter (fletch hunter?) release. I'm assuming they both are made by the same company (not sure if fletcher builds for Vista, or vista builds for Fletcher?) -- It seems that there are a lot of 'private labelled' releases out there (i've seen countless 'house brand's that were obviously Cobra, TruBall or TrueFire).

Anyways, does anyone else use one of these releases out there? How do they compare to some of the others ya'll have shot with (not interested in the back tension style).? It appears that this release after a while is going to beat the heck out of my serving, and of course the instructions say 'not for use with release loop'. I know I probably will not be switching THIS season-- too close now to go to release rope, but I figure why not put a good release on my wishlist (that is if the one I have would be better replaced with a caliper type-- I will just stay away from TrueFire due to bad experience there!!)... in other words, are there any disadvantages, other than the noise? (i.e. is the fletchunter/vista style release prone to cause the string to torque as the trap door lifts?, is it going to be harder on my serving than say a double jaw caliper would?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have shot a fletchhunter release for about 15 years. I bought it with my new Ben Pearson Spoiler back in the late 80's or early 90's - I cannot remember when for sure. Anyway, I still use it with my Hoyt Cybertech. It has never worn my serving any worse than others I have had contact with. I use a "D" loop now and have for several years with it. I really like the "slip over the hand" wrist strap, the adjustability on trigger pull, and the simplicity of it. I still think it is one of the best releases out there for hunting. Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you. BTW - I don't know if they are related to the vista releases.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mention you use a "D" loop? are you talking the metal/plastic ones, or a tied on string? If you are using a tied on string, what diameter is it? I'm assuming that the releases are identical, due to the fact that there is a patent on the design (the Vista, if you look at the the lever holding the string, the side that opens, there is about a 0.030" gap between the lever and the head (which the head seems to be notcheed to allow clearance as well) which is why i assume that they don't recommend a string loop). The reason i chose this release initally was that I was gunshy of caliper releases after having a brand new TrueFire Hurricane fail BADLY on me repeatedly, so I went with something that had a 'safety measure'-- i.e. if you brace your finger behind the trigger when pulling back, there is no possible way the release can fail. I like the release, but of course, always wan't better (don't we all! but who has an extra couple hundred $$ laying around to buy every release and try them all! *laugh*)... but if this doesn't mess up the serving any worse than any other. Why change...
thanks for your input..

·
Registered
336 Posts
The string loop I use is one that I bought at Walmart in a 3 pack. They are camo. I see them in Bass Pro for $5.99 for the 3 pack. I don't have a clue what the diameter is, but I have never had it fail. I have shot between 65 and 72 pounds with it, and it has never slipped out of the jaws. The tolerance on my head is very tight, but if you have a gap, you should definately try it before you use it. Hook it on the loop and pull it holding the string with the other hand. If you can't pull it out, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't like drawing a bow with a release w/o an arrow in it anyway. I am afraid I might accidentally hit the trigger. I also keep the drawn bow and arrow pointed in a safe direction just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts