Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently shot all the PSAA Field/ Hunter? and Animal rounds hosted by my region and the State. I had fun at all the shoots but was concerned that some of the out-of-state shooters were unfamiliar with the rules PSAA uses. Then I shot the PFATA Field/ Hunter/ Animal and realized I much prefer the NFAA rules concerning the Animal shoot and the added simplicity of the Field and Hunter round Multi face shots like the fans.

I would like to here form other people what they think about this subject. I think PSAA should be using the same rules as NFAA as this would simplify the shoot and standardize it for all visiting shooters as wel as prepare PA shooters to visit other states and shoot in their tournaments.

I'm posting a thumbs up for changing the rules to NFAA style.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Word has it there was some debate at the Insteada Nationals shoot held by Lancaster Archery club between some of the out of towners not understanding the rule differences. This is exactly why we should all follow the same set of rules, standardize so everyone is playing on the same field.

·
Registered
169 Posts
John,

I'm very glad you made all the PSAA shoots I hope you had a great time shooting! I always do! The PSAA is like home to me I always try to make all the shoots possible in my busy shoot schedule.

You have brought up a great point there is a difference in the rules between the NFAA and the PSAA I use to be on your side of the fence and thought the way you do! But the numbers don't lie the PSAA is the largest archery Org. on the east coast in membership numbers and shoot numbers! The people of the PSAA have spoken in the past! example....... the NFAA hosted nationals at Mechanicsburg and the rank and file PSAA members didn't attend the shoot just a few elite PSAA shooters were in attendance. That has me come to the conclusion that the majority of the members don't want NFAA rules. Also look at the PFATA another great org. but I'm sure they didn't have half the shooters for there field shoot that the PSAA did. I also attended the outdoor mids this year and i was shocked at the lack of participation! I had also told the councilman that it would be my last outdoor mids i will attend until they get there shoot fixed.

John ask yourself why does the PSAA rules have to be wrong maybe the NFAA is wrong (it wouldn't be the first time)

Please don't get me wrong I'm a great supporter of the NFAA and what they are doing for archery especially indoor archery! I have been around for many years now and can tell you the grass is definitely not greener on the other-side!

Jason L Carbaugh

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to admitt the mids were a shamble of a shoot, and the PFATA was a little disorganized and had fewer people than I expected but it was as much fun if not more than the PSAA round in my opinion due to the NFAA Animal rules. I also admitt I am not as experienced and havent been shooting as much or as long as many of the people who make up the PSAA population. The NFAA animal round shooting one arrow and scoring 21, 20, 18 gives you an opertunity to either pull away from the competitors in your division or catch up on a combined Feild/ Hunter/ Animal round because of the extra point awarded for the spot on the animal. I shoot BowHunter division and cant see the spot without the sticker on it so shooting a PSAA animal rounf is fairly easy to clean. (I admit I didn't clean either this year due to bad pins the furst day and a loose vain on one shot the decond day). It is much more challenging and purts a higher value on the spot when it counts for a point rather than an X, in the case of a bowhunter set-up, I cannot speak for UNL shooters. I would guess a lot of people dont even know about the PFATA since they only host 2 shoots a year and only exist because we needed a state division for NFAA. I am not by any means preaching that PSAA is wrong, I personally dont care which targets are shot in which order on the Field/ Hunter rounds but the animal round is another story, I like the addditional point for the spot and I also like the 1 arrow method as it puts a certain value on the shot to get it right the first shot as you would need to do when hunting. shooting in a U shape shooting left/ right / top / bottom doesnt mean nearly as much to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts