Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new pair of Sidewinders and was reading the instruction manual, it says to twist the eye cups up if you don't wear glasses and down if you do. Well I don't wear glasses and it seems like I can see much better with the eye cups down. Are the instructions wrong? Just curious. This is the first pair of binos I've had with twist up and down eye cups. Anyhoo, the glass in these things is AWSOME!!!!! When I first got them yesterday I walked out on my front portch to checkim' out, Man , I could see a single spiderweb strand blowing off my mailbox 60yrds away, needless to say, I'm very impressed. Thanks to all who recommended them, AT is great.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
That sounds correct. The purpose of the eyecups is to keep the first set of lenses the right distance away from your cornea, even if you are wearing glasses. But if collapsing the cups works better for you, then go for it. It is all a very subjective thing.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
arrowaddict said:
I just got a new pair of Sidewinders and was reading the instruction manual, it says to twist the eye cups up if you don't wear glasses and down if you do. Well I don't wear glasses and it seems like I can see much better with the eye cups down. Are the instructions wrong? Just curious. This is the first pair of binos I've had with twist up and down eye cups. Anyhoo, the glass in these things is AWSOME!!!!! When I first got them yesterday I walked out on my front portch to checkim' out, Man , I could see a single spiderweb strand blowing off my mailbox 60yrds away, needless to say, I'm very impressed. Thanks to all who recommended them, AT is great.
You might be seeing better with the cups in because the closer you are to the lens the more magnified they are. Or, they may just have enough eye relief to allow both, but there is an optimum spot which is why they make that suggestion.

If you don't wear glasses keeping the cups up will also keep some of the light from getting directly on the lens and causing glare.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Neither my boyfriend or I wear glasses. With any Binos with eye cups I can't see unless they are up, but the b/f can only see with them down.

and....I have the sidewinders too, what a great choice!!!

·
>>>--Shoot Em' Up---->
19,494 Posts
I use my Sidewinders with the cups up. I do not use glasses while using the Binos. They are by far the best Bino's for the money. They are crisp and very clear. If ya aint tried a set, you owe it to yourself to check em' out. You won't be disappointed. The lines on 3-D targets cannot hide from theses babies. 12 rings be forwarned. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts