Archery Talk Forum banner

which one?

• Vortex Ranger 1000

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Leupold rx-1000i TBR

Votes: 50 61.7%
  • something else (must be same price or lower than other two)

Votes: 3 3.7%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately no place near me carries these, have checked them out on youtube but thought i'd get your guys' opinions. Anyone tested them both out and have reasons for going with one over the other? I think so far my biggest challenge in deciding would be the Leupold being smaller and quicker/easier to use vs. Vortex's warranty. Anything else I need to consider? Thanks for the input. By the way, not considering spending anymore than these cost at the moment.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
it's all personal preference, but here's what I've found.

To me the ranger is brighter and crisper, leupold is close though. Ranger is waterproof, leupold isn't. Leupold is slightly quicker to get a reading. Used both and the ranger is tougher and seems better built, completely covered by rubber. Vortex has a slightly better warranty, if anything happens your fault or not they will replace it. My ranger is about 3 yds off of actual yardage, the leupold is right on. Both have great reticles. Personally I like the ranger better, but you can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I own the Vortex, and my friend owns the Leupold. I like the Leupold better. It seems quicker to post a range.

·
Registered
14,825 Posts

To me the ranger is brighter and crisper, leupold is close though. Ranger is waterproof, leupold isn't. Leupold is slightly quicker to get a reading. Used both and the ranger is tougher and seems better built, completely covered by rubber. Vortex has a slightly better warranty, if anything happens your fault or not they will replace it. My ranger is about 3 yds off of actual yardage, the leupold is right on. Both have great reticles. Personally I like the ranger better, but you can't go wrong with either.
This

9,239 Posts

3 yards off is way too much. I have the ranger as well and is within a foot...first one was 1.3 yards off and I sent it back and they did not bat an eye and sent me a new one. I have heard really good things about the leupold too but I will stick with the one I have....it is nice.

·
Smooth Is Fast
3,573 Posts
I have the Leupold and if I had to buy again for any reason, I would go back with the Leupold. Great rangefinder IMHO.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Spent hours looking through both of them vi can get on game quicker with the vortex the leupold ranges a lot faster. I found in the end it was about even to take the ranged from my hip acquire target and get a range. The vortex is brighter and the warrantee is great. I went with the vortex

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
As bad as I wanted to try a vortex, I quit looking once I got the leupold 1000i.
Played with/owned quite a few rfs and one theme was common....they all lacked accuracy, repeatability, and would vary on target reflection. This included leupolds previous 1000 model (non i model).
The 1000i I trust as much as the measuring tape I verified it with.
Temp, target, battery life, etc do not affect it.....its always dead on!
Besides the accuracy (was my priority), it was also #1 in my book for other features.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Vortex for sure. Played with both extensively, yes Vortex is slower but Leupold is inferior other than that. Vortex has the absolute best warranty and customer service you can imagine, buy Vortex and you won't regret it. I love my Ranger

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Vortex is known for making some products with a great value, but their rangefinder simply doesn't cut it for archers. Probably great for a rifle hunter. The one I tested was 2 yards off at 75 yards, and the Leupold read 75.2 time and time again. The Leupold is also better when ranging different colors. Test them on white and black and you'll see the Leupold is more accurate when ranging varying colors as well. Beyond that, TBR is a sweet system.

If you shoot a tournament like Redding, or any sort of field archery, you know just how valuable an accurate rangefinder is.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
tried 3 different Vortex and all three had different readings one was 5yrds out from measured and would vary 2-5 yrds out when ranging up and down hills, TBR was right on in every respect also testing 3 different ones, Vortex has a good warranty and will most likely use it where the TBR also has a good warranty and will not likely have to use it

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bought the leupold about 6 months ago, and don't have a single complaint about it. It's small, optics are great, and super quick to get a reading. The hold and scan ability is also cool. I didn't try the vortex, so I can't compare them, but I do know you won't be disappointed with the leupold. Oh, and as far as the "waterproofness" of the leupold, unless you go throw it in the lake, let it sink to the bottom, and then try to fish it up, you aren't going to have to worry about moisture screwing it up.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
heres my take on three range finders that I have used. vortex is well built, seems to range accurately(from the one I used but it sounds like there may be some unit to unit discrepency), vortex has probably the best warranty in the industry. Problem with the vortex is it only ranges in whole yd increments. probably great for a hunter but for a field/known distance 3d shooter, that won't cut it.

Now the Leupold and nikon prostaff 7 have both been within .1yd of each other whenever I've used the Leupold and the prostaff 7 together. so, accuracy wise they are right on par with each other(even ranging black 3d targets). The leupold is a bit smaller and seems to be a bit better built and the reticle is easier to see on the leupold. Otherwise they are neck and neck

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have hunted a full season with each. Leupold wins hands down. The Vortex was off by 2 yards at a tape measured 60 yds. The Leupold is spot on. The Leupold was so much better that I gave back a free Vortex and kept the Leupold that I purchased. My only complaint with the Leupold is that you cannot turn down the LED intensity sufficiently for very early morning or late afternoon usage.

Dan

·
Registered
817 Posts
Spent hours looking through both of them vi can get on game quicker with the vortex the leupold ranges a lot faster. I found in the end it was about even to take the ranged from my hip acquire target and get a range. The vortex is brighter and the warrantee is great. I went with the vortex
So just sent the vortex back. I loved the rangefinder but I began to check it against known objects at different times of day and it gave me different ranges. Also noticed that when it was really cold here I could stand on the same spot and range the same spot on a target and get different readings by three yards either way. Could be the unit but it worked perfect in warmer temps. Not taking a chance on another unit. Will put leupold rx1000i tbr with dna through the same tests. Btw I am a vortex fanboy and own. Four different binoculars a razor spotter and rifle scopes so not company bashing but I would never risk a hunt on the rangefinder

·
Ad Meliora
19,026 Posts
Overwhelming reason to buy Vortex is for warranty...while Leupold is seemingly smaller and more consistent, getting much better "real" reviews...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.